Sponsored by:

[Z06] My 50 mile review of the Firehawk Wide Ovals

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:11 AM
VinceAD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
When I see a sports car with cheap tires, the first thing I wonder is, what else can the owner not afford to maintain on the car?
A rocket launcher.

Last edited by VinceAD; 06-16-2006 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:24 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SC is a better tire than the Firestone if you want ultimate handling. The Firestone may be better in the rain but who cares about that if you bought a Corvette for handling?
I also agree with the poster who commented that the Firestone are not as wide as the SC and for that reason alone I would go with the SC. Is the SC worth the extra $500? Is the Z06 worth the extra $7000 over the regular C5? Why put regular C5 tires on a Z? If money is more important than performance then trade for a reg. C5 and pocket the extra cash,.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:46 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have gone thru 2 sets of Khumo mx's, and I think they are the best bang for the buck, but im gonna try some toyo t1 R's next.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
My SCs would hydroplane at 65 mph when the car hit the puddles that gather in a newly paved asphalt as the thickness varies slightly. Wasn't bad driving in the daylight when I could steer around them. But at night I couldn't see them and as soon as the fronts hit the water and lifted off the ground the cruise control would kick off. Never had that problem with the WOs.

Bill

...ok you should probably stop right there... the fact that you'd be using cruise control in the rain demonstrates your basic problem.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:30 PM
2MchFun
Racer

Originally Posted by Twil1ght
...ok you should probably stop right there... the fact that you'd be using cruise control in the rain demonstrates your basic problem.
I was thinking the same thing. that is scary.
OMG -
Old 06-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Retired GM Engr
Pro

Originally Posted by striper
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, the latest version of the Pilots. Currently standard equipment on several ultra-expensive sports cars. IMO, not cheap but worth it.
From the opposite ends of the country, my PS2's are "very good".
Better than the F1's ? Probably a wash for the street "cornering" to me. Approx. same cost OTD.
PS2's will produce "squeal" on street launch, at the same place where the F1's only "scratched". Not a big deal to me.

And, on to my SSS, "Standard STONE SCREED". You have my permission to skip.

I'm too lazy to figure out how to show a picture of my OEM (Original Equipment Mfg.) "Fxcked UP" Firestone
rip and tear apart, up and down, and across the cords, this way and that way, for a foot sidewall blowout at 50 mph on a long straightaway.

The truck IMMEDIATELY received BFG LT "All-Terrains".
I'll never buy another new car or truck with "Stones". NEVER. Hear me, GM ! ! !
And, I'm still pissed at my "friends and acquaintances" at the GM Tire and Wheel Lab
at the Milford Proving Ground for not catching this one.
ALL of all you'all couldn't have been hungover or off-property for lunch during the tire testing. Could you ?

It was a pickup truck tire, not a "Wide Oval", so all you "I've saved $500 on beautiful replacement tires for my $50k" car guys are "safe".

However, my truck tire was made quite a long time after all the "killer" Ford SUV Firestone "problems".
So, I know Firestone as a company "cared enough to send GM and me the very best".

Maybe I sHOULD post pictures, so you can "think a bit" during your 0.7-0.9 g turns on "the street twisties" with those $900 "Stones".
My car and my life are worth the extra $700 OTD, at least to me.
But, then as a engineer, I've dealt with "tradeoffs" all my life.

Sorry, you've probably heard my "shxtty company policy" screed several time before.

And, I don't want to hear one "GxD-Dxmn" word about "Bridge" vs. "Fire" Stones.
Where do you think company policy is made ?

And, you'll hear this again in the next tire thread.
I'm a mad dog on a mission. Just wiped the foam off my mouth and keyboard. My Bad.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:13 PM
02ElectronZ
Instructor

Default Toyos rule

I like my T1-S's. I hope the T1-R's are just as good or better. My S's held up pretty good at the road course. My instuctor/mentor had an S2000 w/DOT racing slicks and the suspension upgrades. He said he was very impressed for a stock Z06 and street tires with the way it handled on the track. Pretty good in my book when a seasoned SCCA driver says that about the handling. Too bad I'm not a better driver, I may have been able to get closer to him.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Retired GM Engr
Pro

Originally Posted by 02ElectronZ
I like my T1-S's. I hope the T1-R's are just as good or better. My S's held up pretty good at the road course. My instuctor/mentor had an S2000 w/DOT racing slicks and the suspension upgrades. He said he was very impressed for a stock Z06 and street tires with the way it handled on the track. Pretty good in my book when a seasoned SCCA driver says that about the handling. Too bad I'm not a better driver, I may have been able to get closer to him.
Thank You.
That, plus other inputs, puts the Toyos on my "very short list" next time around.

Which, with my driving habits, seems to arrive "all too often" for my credit card health.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

The WO's are a pretty good tire. My uncle has them on his 404ci Z06 and they hook resonably well or at least better than his SC's. There is a difference in the corners but they were great at Lil' Talladega. I also noticed that they were made in Japan and use a lot of Bridgestone technology.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:14 AM
02ElectronZ
Instructor

Default NP Ret GM Eng

Because of the way the T1-S's handle, I'm going to get a set of track rims w/ RA-1's, only cause I have to drive an hour to the road course and don't want to trailer or put a trailer on my Z.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:45 AM
minglemiester
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PA Z06
I have gone thru 2 sets of Khumo mx's, and I think they are the best bang for the buck, but im gonna try some toyo t1 R's next.
I too am running the Kumho Mx's, I got em last week, all 4 for $670, I couldn't beat the price! These things rock, I got this car with a set of shot RII's and a pretty much shot set of the supercars, until last week I had never felt this car hook up, now I can't stop putting my foot to the floor!!! Haven't had the luxury of rain yet, and most likely won't! (hopefully)
Old 06-17-2006, 02:53 AM
Marine
Racer

Originally Posted by skeet
The SC is a better tire than the Firestone if you want ultimate handling. The Firestone may be better in the rain but who cares about that if you bought a Corvette for handling?
I also agree with the poster who commented that the Firestone are not as wide as the SC and for that reason alone I would go with the SC. Is the SC worth the extra $500? Is the Z06 worth the extra $7000 over the regular C5? Why put regular C5 tires on a Z? If money is more important than performance then trade for a reg. C5 and pocket the extra cash,.
In that line of thinking then why aren't you in a C6 Z06 right now????? It cost more it must be better.
I'll never get you that "buy" into the belief that it is easier to waste money on what cost the most, then it is to make your own objective opinion on a product.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I'm very pleased with the F1SC tires. As for driving in the rain, when I bought my Z06 I had to drive 4 hours in pouring rain to get back home...no problems whatsoever.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:08 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

I only put around 5k on a set of pretty tired F1SC's so my opinion is a bit jaded, but I am quite happy with the wideovals I just put on my Z. I daily drive my Z and don't get much opportunity to "play" with only the occasional autoX per year.

On an opposing note, I find the WO's to tramline a ton more than the F1SC's did, but that could be a function of a better alignment, and the non loose front adjustments courtesy of the dealership that the original owner took it to

Buying the most expensive does not always mean it is the best, and if you do your research there are better buys out there. The ONLY reason that the F1SC's are so expensive is how FEW cars came with them, and their somewhat odd sizes. If the Z came 275 all the way around no one would complain about tire prices because our options would be increased 10 fold.

While a lot of you here will have your stock replacements for 3,4,5 years, I will be making my next tire choice in around 18 months. Maybe I will get lucky and get 2 years out of them as long as my commute does not get too much worse. Until then I like my WO's and the $$$ I saved helps pay for my new clutch

Fej

Quick Reply: [Z06] My 50 mile review of the Firehawk Wide Ovals