Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have similar C5 problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:53 AM
bill-sj
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Default anyone have similar C5 problems...

i am taking in my 2001 (under 6 year warranty) for some repairs, just checking if anyone has had these problems:

1. on my HUD, the "oil can" stays on all the time (the container with the drop on the right side) - in the manual, i think it says that this icon indicates an oil pressure problem, but the mechanics have said this that oil pressure is not an issue with the car (just a "jammed" HUD problem). anyone else had this problem? i want to push them to fix the HUD this time.

2. the passenger window does not roll down using either the driver contros or passenger controls. anyone else had this problem?

i get charged a $200 deductible every time i take it in for repairs, so i am trying to learn as much as i can about these problems, and hopefully their fixes, before i take it in.

thanks much for any replies/advice.

-Bill
Old 06-08-2006, 03:03 AM
yechi7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re: the passenger window does not roll down...

Unfortunately, this is a very common problem. So common, that when I brought my Vette in last week for this repair, my local Chevy dealer told me they don't have to order the window motor parts - they keep them in stock all the time due to the frequency of the problem.

You would think that the manufacturer of the greatest car in the world would learn how to make power windows that work reliably.

David
Old 06-08-2006, 03:30 AM
bill-sj
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

thanks for the info David.

at least i know i'm not alone!

-Bill
Old 06-08-2006, 04:56 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I assume you have read the manual on how to change the icons on the HUD. That one comes on if i set it to come on and the bars give you an oil pressure reading. If it is the only one that will come on when you try to change the settings your HUD probably needs fixing...maybe just the switch...

Window could be just the switch too. Think the automakers all buy cheap switches now days.

Good luck
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Mad_Maxxx
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VII Veteran

The "oil can" is for oil pressure, if there are no bars next to it when the car is on, you're in trouble. You can switch the HUD to show your other data, press or hold the HUD control button.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

what does the oil pressure gage show??
Old 06-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Vette Nutz
Instructor

You can change the information displayed in the HUD by pressing the "Page" button on the upper left side of the dash. It will change to show the fuel level, amps, oil pressure and perform a few other tricks for you.

The passenger side window deal is a common problem. There are several threads on it, do a search on "passenger side window"

Last edited by Vette Nutz; 06-08-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Rapidity
Instructor

I thought holding the window down button down and slamming the passanger door sometimes fixed the window issue? I don't have the problem but I've read the fix here before....
Old 06-08-2006, 01:56 PM
troy144
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bill-sj
i am taking in my 2001 (under 6 year warranty) for some repairs, just checking if anyone has had these problems:

1. on my HUD, the "oil can" stays on all the time (the container with the drop on the right side) - in the manual, i think it says that this icon indicates an oil pressure problem, but the mechanics have said this that oil pressure is not an issue with the car (just a "jammed" HUD problem). anyone else had this problem? i want to push them to fix the HUD this time.

2. the passenger window does not roll down using either the driver contros or passenger controls. anyone else had this problem?

i get charged a $200 deductible every time i take it in for repairs, so i am trying to learn as much as i can about these problems, and hopefully their fixes, before i take it in.

thanks much for any replies/advice.

-Bill
Hi. It was 550$ at Carmax for the passenger window motor failure on my 01 recently. It just made a click sound. I had the extended warranty with a 50$ deductible. So it cost 50 bucks. They rip you hard for the labor if you do not have a warranty
Old 06-09-2006, 11:36 AM
yechi7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rapidity
I thought holding the window down button down and slamming the passanger door sometimes fixed the window issue? I don't have the problem but I've read the fix here before....
Tried it & it worked! - For about 4 days.

Thank goodness, when it got stuck again, it was in the up position.

David

Get notified of new replies

To anyone have similar C5 problems...

Quick Reply: anyone have similar C5 problems...