Sponsored by:

Leather Upholstery Services?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
iteachflyin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Upholstery Services?

I have seen incredible leather upholstery done on new cars (not Vettes) that have come out of the factory with fabric seats. In almost all cases, the work looked and felt better than the factory leather work. And the cost was near $1000.

I've searched the forum and all I can find are references to obtaining $1000 worth of OEM or after-market seat covering that mimick the original (crummy) seat covers. Not to mention the $400 or so worth of new foam. Then you have to do it yourself or have it done at additional cost.

Is there some reason that a leather upholsterer cannot do a bang-up job on my sport seats using his own foam and leather design. Is is the power controls, inflateable lumbar and moveable bolsters that they can't get around, or what?

Has anyone had their sport seats done by an upholstery shop and, if so, how much did it all run? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The only thing limiting your imagination is your ideas and costs. Nothing stopping you from going to a local upholstery shop and having something custom made.....

If you are planning to keep your car - I say go for it. If you are planning to sell anytime soon - the more traditional designs will appeal to a larger audience.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

If you're looking for the absolute ultimate interior for a C5 I would go with VetteEssentials. That said their interior is going to run you in the $3k range.

I bought mine from LeatherSeats.com and the seats were less than $1k with new foam.

You just have to decide what you want.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
iteachflyin
Racer

Originally Posted by eddie44
If you're looking for the absolute ultimate interior for a C5 I would go with VetteEssentials. That said their interior is going to run you in the $3k range.

I bought mine from LeatherSeats.com and the seats were less than $1k with new foam.

You just have to decide what you want.

Your seats look terrific. How difficult is it to remove the old covers and foam and replace them with the new ones? Does it take much mechanical ability or can pretty much anyone with time and patience do it?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,436 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by iteachflyin
Your seats look terrific. How difficult is it to remove the old covers and foam and replace them with the new ones? Does it take much mechanical ability or can pretty much anyone with time and patience do it?

Look on the Vette Essentials web site - they have very detailed instructions on how to do the swap. I choose to have an upholstery shop do mine - cost $100 in labor. And I'll echo the comment that if you want the best, go with Vette Essentials.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by iteachflyin
It took 2 fellow Vette friends who'd done it before about 4 hrs. It only takes minimal mechanical ability but your hands will kill you from pulling and stretching.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
My2Dogs
Burning Brakes

Vette Essentials........no need to look any further as they are the best.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:04 PM
iteachflyin
Racer

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Look on the Vette Essentials web site - they have very detailed instructions on how to do the swap. I choose to have an upholstery shop do mine - cost $100 in labor. And I'll echo the comment that if you want the best, go with Vette Essentials.
If I can find a shop to do it properly for $100 in labor, it's well worth it. Especially since the other post indicated 4 hours and raw hands. Not for me. I'm going to check out Vette Essentials but LEATHERSEATS.com looked really good too. I'm still going to ask a leather shop what kind of totally custom work they might be able to do, although a good point was raised about it possibly impacting the value of the car for those wanting pure stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather Upholstery Services?

Quick Reply: Leather Upholstery Services?