Polishing inner wheel barrel???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert192
Toque:

Thanks so much for the info. I have discovered the "joy" of sandpaper with my restoration too. I actually went all the way up to 5000, and then I used heavy-duty compound, then light-duty compound, and then Mothers Mag and Wheel Polish. I'm not "married" to the Mothers but I did read a review where it was rated very highly against some others. They all had good points, and I happened to have some already in my shed, so I used it and then bought some more to finish the project. I will definitely try the Adams, and I most assuredly will get me some Webril wipes! By the way, do you put any type of wax on your rims after you polish just to add another layer of protection, whether it be a polymer wax (like Nu-Finish) or a paste wax? FWIW, I love the Collinite Marquis De Elegance paste wax -- I put 3 coats on before winter sets in, and it's still smooth as glass 7 months later.
I don't wax mine at all. But that's not to say it would not help.
It would be a good idea to wax the wheels after to try to seal them somewhat.

Originally Posted by Koufax
Do you guys who wet sand your wheels use any power tools to make the job easier? If so, what do you use?
I have a mothers power cone, but I have not used it in years since discovering that the Webril wipes are better at keeping the fine scratches down to a minimum.
Its a lot of work doing the entire wheel by hand (sanding).
But its work that I really enjoy doing.

Toque
Old 11-21-2014, 08:04 AM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Stripped clear coat, sanded and polished.

Adams Polish #1 and #2 works well for me also. I use sheets of synthetic micro-flannel or micro-fleece purchased at a local fabric store to final polish these wheels. The stock thin spoke is pressure cast aluminum, not billet aluminum like the CCW wheels. Stock thin spokes are very touchy to polish, the polishing cloth is a critical part of the final polishing proceedure. The gray " Metal Polishing Microfiber Cloths" from Autozone work very well and do not leave any swirl marks for wiping down between polishings and are nice as well for polish removal. I do not use any wax or sealant, just polish once or twice a year. I do not drive this car in the rain at all. I also rarely wash my car, usually just before pulling the wheels for polishing.

Last edited by jlaw1313@comcast.net; 11-21-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Robert192
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Adam's metal polish has a two-step process, each in its own bottle of course. I'd strongly suggest getting both the Metal Polish and the Metal Polish #2 for the brightest shine. The Metal Polish alone does a great job, but when you add that second step it becomes mirror-like.

Adam really should be paying me a fee for promotional consideration...
I went to their web site and watched a quick video showing the 2-step process -- fantastic results. Oh, and I agree, I think it's time you contact their marketing department and get a promotional fee for every bottle sold to a Corvette owner!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:56 AM
davyalabama
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the method black sedan 87 recommended for a normal wash. I have a paint stick.

I take some solution with me when I have the oil changed and the tires balanced. While the guys have the car jacked up, the tires/wheels off, I clean the tires real well. I do what I can to stay out of the way, and the shop manager doesn't mind me being back there with them.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Robert192
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlaw1313@comcast.net

Stripped clear coat, sanded and polished.

Adams Polish #1 and #2 works well for me also. I use sheets of synthetic micro-flannel or micro-fleece purchased at a local fabric store to final polish these wheels. The stock thin spoke is pressure cast aluminum, not billet aluminum like the CCW wheels. Stock thin spokes are very touchy to polish, the polishing cloth is a critical part of the final polishing proceedure. The gray " Metal Polishing Microfiber Cloths" from Autozone work very well and do not leave any swirl marks for wiping down between polishings and are nice as well for polish removal. I do not use any wax or sealant, just polish once or twice a year. I do not drive this car in the rain at all. I also rarely wash my car, usually just before pulling the wheels for polishing.
Gorgeous job! I will probably switch over to the Adams from the Mother's polish that I currently have too. I'll also give the Metal Polishing Microfiber Cloths" from AutoZone a test drive too (thanks for the tip). It may be a little more work (stripping and polishing the rims) but it's such a HUGE upgrade from the stock appearance. Minimal cost and fantastic results. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Robert192
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davyalabama
I use the method black sedan 87 recommended for a normal wash. I have a paint stick.

I take some solution with me when I have the oil changed and the tires balanced. While the guys have the car jacked up, the tires/wheels off, I clean the tires real well. I do what I can to stay out of the way, and the shop manager doesn't mind me being back there with them.
That's a great idea. I'll probably pull my tires each spring and fall for a thorough cleaning/polish/wax (back and front) and during the summer just keep the barrels clean.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:31 PM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert192
Gorgeous job! I will probably switch over to the Adams from the Mother's polish that I currently have too. I'll also give the Metal Polishing Microfiber Cloths" from AutoZone a test drive too (thanks for the tip). It may be a little more work (stripping and polishing the rims) but it's such a HUGE upgrade from the stock appearance. Minimal cost and fantastic results. Thanks for sharing!!
Your welcome.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Cubman
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

This is what works the best for me on my CCW's. I use a sponge that seems to be about the right density cut into 2x3x1" pieces to apply Adams metal polish. I'm able to polish one wheel per sponge without leaving all the polish oxidation residue left behind on the wheel. Most of the oxidation and polish residue stays on the sponge. It saves a lot Webril wipes and micro rags and a lot of mess. When I get a wheel done I just throw the sponge in a bucket of warm water with Dawn and grab fresh sponge for the next wheel. I'm able to reuse over many times. Able to wipe the wheels down with one soft micro towel.

Last edited by Cubman; 11-25-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Robert192
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cubman
This is what works the best for me on my CCW's. I use a sponge that seems to be about the right density cut into 2x3x1" pieces to apply Adams metal polish. I'm able to polish one wheel per sponge without leaving all the polish oxidation residue left behind on the wheel. Most of the oxidation and polish residue stays on the sponge. It saves a lot Webril wipes and micro rags and a lot of mess. When I get a wheel done I just throw the sponge in a bucket of warm water with Dawn and grab fresh sponge for the next wheel. I'm able to reuse over many times. Able to wipe the wheels down with one soft micro towel.
Excellent idea! The oxidation certainly is something to deal with, so I like your solution. Anything that can cut down on it is great. I will definitely try your method when it's time for my next polishing session!

Quick Reply: Polishing inner wheel barrel???