Soundproofing

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:04 PM
2k1 VET
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Soundproofing

I have a question?
I have a 2001 Corvette with run flats which are very noisy. I really am disappointed that the factory did not do a better job of soundproofing that car. I understand that the idea was to save weight, but I don't think that soundproofing would increase the weight very much.
I am considering having it soundproofed. The cost would be approximately $1500 which does not bother me.
My question is this. Is it worth going to the extra expense if most of the noise emanates through the glass.
I would appreciate some feedback.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:08 PM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

Plenty of 'diy' threads on soundproofing the Vettes. I want to do this mod myself, and the consensus from the diy threads have been "Glad I did it, but THANK GOD ITS OVER!!! WHAT A PITA!!!"

I think the results are worthwhile, from what I've seen. Also, consider a different brand/model tire. The stock tires are notoriously loud, from all I've learned here.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 2k1 VET
I have a question?
I have a 2001 Corvette with run flats which are very noisy. I really am disappointed that the factory did not do a better job of soundproofing that car. I understand that the idea was to save weight, but I don't think that soundproofing would increase the weight very much.
I am considering having it soundproofed. The cost would be approximately $1500 which does not bother me.
My question is this. Is it worth going to the extra expense if most of the noise emanates through the glass.

What does that $1500 get you? Here's an alternative that gets great reviews for about 1/6 the price:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...on&forum_id=53
Old 03-06-2006, 02:22 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a question?
I don't know where you got that price info from, unless you're paying people $100 an hour to do it. I got the insulation kit from exotic vette for a little over $200 and put a couple afternoons in over the weekend. Reduced, but didn't entirely eliminate the sound. Next step is to insulate behind the rear wheel liner. That is supposed to do the most for tire noise.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

GM is in a catch 22 here you want soundproofing while others want weight reduction. So GM went with weight reduction. If you use product like Dynamat it will weight but not sure how much.First of all get rid of the runflats which get noiser as they get older and got with a tire like GY Eagle F1 GS-D3 which are quiter.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:24 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im curious as well what exactly will you be getting done for $1500? I do agree the Corvette could have been made to be a little more quiet. I added the pre-cut insulation kit to my vette and I must say it was hard to notice a difference in sound however it is true that the center console does not get nearly as hot anymore.

I am curious though what do other cars of this kind sound like inside? Ferrari 360, Porsche etc etc? I have never been in one to compare noise levels.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
danberry
Pro

I agree with the fellow members($1500) you got to be kidding.......I did the Frost King material....even though I doubled the thickness it is still hard to tell a 5-10 dec. drop a that noise level.....in other words ..don't expect miracles.........
Old 03-06-2006, 03:22 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just talked to Dan at sales@exoticvette.com He sounds like a straight up guy I'm going to order this insulation kit both front and back and let you know how it goes. Doesn't sound difficult at all, rather just time consuming (about a t whole day)
Old 03-06-2006, 03:42 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta have two cars. A sportscar for rumbling around in without regard to the sound, and a chi-chi upscale performance sedan for the smooth, quiet ride.

I've thought about adding sound insulation to my vert, but will try quieter tires first. When I really want to reduce the noise, I'll drive the Jag.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:55 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Im curious as well what exactly will you be getting done for $1500? I do agree the Corvette could have been made to be a little more quiet. I added the pre-cut insulation kit to my vette and I must say it was hard to notice a difference in sound however it is true that the center console does not get nearly as hot anymore.

I am curious though what do other cars of this kind sound like inside? Ferrari 360, Porsche etc etc? I have never been in one to compare noise levels.
It cost me about $1,500 to insulate my vette coupe with "koolmat"

Here's a link to the install by Vette Magazine http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vet_0504_sound/

The stuff works well but is PIA to install. You have to spray a lot of glue down and let it get tacky before you can position in place. Took me two weekends to complete the job including removing and re-installing the interior.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Jake T
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished mine last week. Did the complete interior and the wheel wells. Cost me a total of $50....
Old 03-06-2006, 08:31 PM
iteachflyin
Racer

Drop your pressures to 28 and the tires will quiet down and reach 30-32 at cruising speeds. At 34-35 and above the tires are unbearably noisy.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:38 PM
DBFCO2
Racer

Default $50.00

Originally Posted by Jake T
Just finished mine last week. Did the complete interior and the wheel wells. Cost me a total of $50....
What did you use only 50.00 dollars resaults???
Old 03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
2k1 VET
Intermediate

Thank you for the info.I think I will start by getting rid of the run flats.This should make quite a difference
Old 03-08-2006, 08:03 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danberry
I agree with the fellow members($1500) you got to be kidding.......I did the Frost King material....even though I doubled the thickness it is still hard to tell a 5-10 dec. drop a that noise level.....in other words ..don't expect miracles.........

but frost king is hardly sound deadening material. I know a lot of people use it but it's not what it's engineered for.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Frost King works well, Its cheap, relatively easy to use, self sticking, reduces interior temps, fairly light weight and you can by it at almost any hardware store in town. It’s a great product for mild insulating interiors and if you do most of the large areas in back in front you can tell a difference. It’s a worthwhile mod IMO.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:42 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by JEEP/C5
Frost King works well, Its cheap, relatively easy to use, self sticking, reduces interior temps, fairly light weight and you can by it at almost any hardware store in town. It’s a great product for mild insulating interiors and if you do most of the large areas in back in front you can tell a difference. It’s a worthwhile mod IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Soundproofing

Old 03-08-2006, 09:49 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default insulation

One thing I found that really helped is a post I read a while back about doing the inner rear wheel panels. I did the whole inside of my car and was a little disappointed in the lack of sound reduction. Took off the inner rear panels and did them- made a noticeble difference. Bigger difference was to get rid of the runflats.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:32 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I have a question?
For $1500, I'll jump on a plane and do it for you.

Serious.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show..._id=103&arch=1
Old 03-08-2006, 10:59 PM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet he IS serious...

Quick Reply: Soundproofing