Rejected By Warranty Direct

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Trainman-2
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Rejected By Warranty Direct

After spending a lot of time looking into aftermarket warranties and listing to all of you guys say great things about Warranty Direct, I decided to go ahead with them. Since the car has just over 42K miles I needed an inspection and the results, of the inspection performed by MaGoo, are pasted in below. I got this by email this morning.

The Warranty Direct guy just called me and told me that I was rejected because of:

1. Right mirror would not adjust - Being a tall guy, I have it adjusted to its limit. When my wife drives the car it automatically re-adjusts for her just fine when she presses No 2 on the key fob.

2. Extensive modifications to the vehicles pollution control systems is what the guy told me on the phone. In reality, I have a Hal-tech Air Cleaner and have made no other modifications to the engine or drive train.

3. Leaves in the air inlet to the radiator and A/C evaporator. I guess it is time to clean it again.

4. A long term seepage leak with road grime at the left axle seal on the differential. The inspector said every Corvette he has inspected has that.

And here I thought my Corvette was in excellent condition.

I feel like I have been treated like some evil drag racer or something.

Here is the report...

Year 2004 Make CHEVROLET Model CORVETTE
Verified Full VIN 1G1YY22G645109792 Verified Odometer 42152
EngineSize 5.7L Auto Transmission
OK Proble Inspect The Following Comments
Found
Road Comment THE ROAD TEST WAS NORMAL FOR MAKE AND MODEL.
OK Engine Starting / Cranking / Idle
OK Engine Operation
OK Transmission
OK Suspension / Ride
OK Brakes
Initial Comment:
OK Wipers / Washers
OK Clock / Radio / Horn / Cruise
OK Power Antenna / Digital Dash
Problem Switches (Windows, Locks, Seats) RIGHT MIRROR WOULD NOT ADJUST WITH SWITCH
OK A/C / Heater / Defroster / Frt-Rr
OK Lights (Interior, Exterior)
OK Parking Brake
OK Interior / Seats / Carpet / Dash
OK Body Inspection
Under The Hood Comment: THE AIR FILTER, MAF AND AIR INTAKE MAY BE AFTER MARKET SEE PHOTOS
OK Emission System
OK Valve Covers / Seals / Gaskets
OK Belt / Hose/ Clamp / Vacuum Line
Problem Air Filter POSSIBLE AFTERMARKET
OK Radiator / Cap
OK Elecric Fan / Clutch Fan
OK A/C Compressor / A/C Clutch
OK Evap / Condens / Dryr / A/C Hoses
OK P/S Pump / P/S Gear / P/S Hoses
OK Battery / Alternator
OK Engine Oil
OK Engine Coolant
OK Transmission Fluid
OK Brake Fluid / Power Steering Fluid
Under The Vehicle (NOT on Lift) Comment THERE IS ALOT OF LEAVES AND DEBRIS UNDER VEHICLE TRAPPED IN THE AIR
INLET TO THE AIR CONDITIONING EVAPORATER AND RADIATOR.

OK Engine / Transmission / THERE IS A LONG TERM SEEPAGE LEAK WITH ROAD GRIME
Differential ATTACHED AT THE LEFT AXLE SEAL.
OK Muffler / Tail Pipe
OK Catalytic Converter
OK Joints / Tie Rods / Shocks / Bushs
OK Frame / Undercarriage
OK Wheel Brgs / Axle Seals, C/V Boots
OK Tires / Wheels
OK Brake Calipers / Wheel Cyls / Lines
This is NOT a safety Inspection. This is a visual inspection of the vehicle and systems therein and is in no way to be relied upon to determine the safeness of this vehicle. This inspection and the opinions expressed are exactly that, opinions. Many parts perform perfectly up until the moment of failure. Failure may occur suddenly and without any prior warning. Due to the cursory nature of the inspection, the location, the constraints, and the lack of diagnostic tools, the nspector, and or Magoo's Automotive Consultants cannot accept liability for failures or injuries which may occur after the inspection is completed.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:08 PM
blesmess94
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats odd - i had a conversation/quote with them last night - i have an 03 coupe - 12,500 miles. They have a 60,000 miles (on the odometer), 5-year plan, $0.00 deductible, can bring the car anywhere including the chevy dealer, complete coverage (their top of the line).

about $500 down - $110 per month for 10 months - about $2,000 or so total. no inspection needed since i'm still under the original warranty.

i guess it was the milage issue.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Trainman-2
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

What offends me is that I pain $99 for an inspection and the guy concluded that I had possibily make all kinds of modifications to the polution control systems.

You would think that he might have asked me about the mirror or even mentioned it to me.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:17 PM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them. I asked at the time of inspection (7500) what mileage if any is their cutoff. Magoo told me it was 50,000! (don't shoot the messnger)
Old 02-23-2006, 03:20 PM
blesmess94
Racer

DBRASUE - any regrets going with warranty direct? i still havent made my final decision.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:53 PM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Originally Posted by blesmess94
DBRASUE - any regrets going with warranty direct? i still havent made my final decision.
Just PM'd you!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Seems strange they would say anything about an aftermarket air intake. I have Warranty Direct and when Magoo's inspected my car, my Blackwing was clearly in sight, yet they did not put anything in their report on it. For some of those items, if you really want to go with them, I would see if you can appeal. I can see their concern if in fact there is a leak in a differential seal though.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:22 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Just to be a smartazz, but who would hire an inspector with the name "Magoo"? http://www.toontracker.com/magoo/magoo.htm I'm surprised they saw anything at all.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:37 PM
troy144
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
DAVS Y2K
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rejected By Warranty Direct

Sounds like a bunch of *******. Based on some of the responses they don't seem to follow the same inspection standards for acceptance. If they are like this for a simple qualification inspection, what will they be like when it comes to claims submittal?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Heck I went through some bs with one of those warranty companies and just decided they don't need my money. So I took that dough and bought headers with it. If something breaks I will pay to fix it. You're probably lucky they canned you on the initial inspection. I had my warranty all set up and when I went in for a bad window motor, THEN they tell me they don't cover Z06s under any circumstances. I'm sure if I had never made a claim they would have been only too happy to have kept my money. So YOU might have gotten your first claim kicked out when they found that your car had been "modified from stock" with that air cleaner. The contracts I have seen ALL specifically state that the warranty is voided if anything on the vehicle is modified from stock.

Yeah I know about that Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but it apparently only applies to manufacturers, NOT aftermarket extended warranty companies.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DBRASUE
I have them. I asked at the time of inspection (7500) what mileage if any is their cutoff. Magoo told me it was 50,000! (don't shoot the messnger)

Last edited by Yello95; 02-24-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I talked to one of their reps right before my factory warranty on my '02 expired. I had ~4K miles on the car and was up front with him about all my mods. He told me he couldn't warranty the car due to the extensive mods so the money stayed in the bank . . .
Old 02-23-2006, 09:29 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Patches
I talked to one of their reps right before my factory warranty on my '02 expired. I had ~4K miles on the car and was up front with him about all my mods. He told me he couldn't warranty the car due to the extensive mods so the money stayed in the bank . . .
Ed,I have to say this post surprises me. With your knowledge of C5s, I wouldn't have thought that you would pay for an aftermarket warranty.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by madeouttaglass
Ed,I have to say this post surprises me. With your knowledge of C5s, I wouldn't have thought that you would pay for an aftermarket warranty.
Regardless, when a major electrical component like the alternator, A/C controller or a door control module go south, I'd still rather have the General foot the bill than having to take it in the wallet. Granted, I would shop the dealer service dept. carefully before letting anyone else touch the car.

Often, just one major warranty claim can pay for the cost of the warranty and, after that, you're off the hook. You've been on this forum long enough to have seen that these types of components can go at any time and it never hurts to have a little protection.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 161 Posts

I bought a 2 yr plan from warrantydirect on my 99..Have about 7 months left on it..Used it once for the left rear seal leak..Took it to a GM dealer and they paid for the work no problem...Technically I haven't needed a warranty since it was a $250 bill and the coverage cost me $1900...It really is a crapshoot...you never know....
Old 02-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Exactly! Look at it this way, the insurance companies have an army of actuaries checking the statistics and probabilities of what they need to charge on an extended warranty policy in order to make money doing so. So if they are charging you $2,000, then that means that they are pretty darn certain that the odds are against you having to have a repair that will cost that much or more. They are in this to make money, not protect you or do you any favors. So if there is a higher risk of you costing them MORE money then you spend on a policy, then they will charge you accordingly.

I ran a poll somewhere to get input on people's real world experiences with failures on their vettes. The odds were HEAVILY in your favor of not having to pay more then $1,000 of the length of time you have your vette. I believe it was something like 3 to 1 odds. Yeah, some people will lose in this game, but more people will win by keeing their money. I personally chose to stay out of that insurance scam, er game, and play the odds.

BTW, MOST extended warranty companies (at least in reference to all that I checked into) will NOT cover Z06s at all. And all of them had specific clauses voiding your warranty if ANY mods are done at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Rejected By Warranty Direct

Old 02-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Target Chaser
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Machine Silver Z06 The Golden State......... Bay Area
St. Jude Donor '05

Trainman, sorry to hear you were rejected.

I got an inspection when I first got the Vette. No mods to the car at the time so it passed no prob. I even asked the inspector about adding a catback exhaust system at the time and he suggested checking out the web for forums on the Vette and that's how I came accross the Corvette Forum. He never mentioned anything about mods not being covered. When I received the contract, on the back of the last page (if I remember correctly) it clearly stated that "NO" mods of any kind were acceptable. I called and received a refund right away knowing that I would mod the car and I wasn't going to take any chances with being declined coverage.

I know a lot of guys here that have a policy with WD and have modded their cars and have received warranty service with no issues. As far as I can tell it boils down to who the inspector is, who works on your car and what they will ignore. If you are shopping for an extending warranty I would still recommend WD over any other after market policy. They didn't give me the run around with my refund, I received my money back promptly as advertised and have heard lots of positive experiences with them.

Last edited by Target Chaser; 02-24-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:38 PM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Wow....When Magoo inspected my car a few years ago, my Blackwing and B + B Rt. 66 exhausts were in plain view of the inspector. He also took all kind of photos. I don't think he even looked under the car. The next day I got an email from WD telling me I was approved. Go fugure???
Old 02-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Paras
Drifting

Not to hijack the thread but I recently heard that there's a company that will warranty modded cars... anyone know about that one?

Quick Reply: Rejected By Warranty Direct