Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

display on dual zone climate control panel is very dim

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Tractors4u
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this thread. I just made my first repair on my newly acquired Vette. There was an extra A/C controller when I got the car. I repaired that one too.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Viperolla
1st Gear

Default Perfect

I tried all the steps and it worked perfectly. I'm a bit less mechanically inclined then most of you guys so it took me a long time to complete. So long in fact that my car battery died....anyone want to give me a jump? Thanks for the great post.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 PM
rcoughenour
Advanced

I know you did your repair, sometime ago, but I have recently boought my C5 and haver the same problem with the dim lights on the Climate control panel. My question is " How do you get to the control panel? does the whole center console have to be removed in order to get to the climate control panel? Any info or ppictures you may have showiing that would be great or if there is a link for the repair?

Thanks
Ralph
Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by rcoughenour
I know you did your repair, sometime ago, but I have recently boought my C5 and haver the same problem with the dim lights on the Climate control panel. My question is " How do you get to the control panel? does the whole center console have to be removed in order to get to the climate control panel? Any info or ppictures you may have showiing that would be great or if there is a link for the repair?

Thanks
Ralph
Not difficult at all, here's some pics
http://www.brookins.us/accontroller/

Since you're a new C5 owner this will come in handy also:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ould-have.html

Last edited by pcfred; 03-25-2012 at 01:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
coach.ty6 (11-08-2016)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

My 98 just had the same problem. I did the solder repair and it worked perfectly. Thanks to the original posters for sharing.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:11 PM
rhubarb74roadster
Pro

This forum never fails to amaze.

30 minutes of effort and my controller is bright as day.

Thanks guys !
Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 AM
Cockrobin
Heel & Toe

I own a 2002 coupe and the #241 items appear to be a type of capacitor and are set up on the circuit board in vertical rows of 4 each, as per the findings of member SR-71. Also, I have found they were never soldered to the circuit board. Instead, it appears they were cemented in place on the board with a clear epoxy. This may be the reason they are breaking down on everyone, the epoxy material is breaking down and causing an open in the circuit. All the other electrical items on the board are soldered to the board, including all the resistors which you will note are all color coded, as to their resistance factor. The possible reason for the #241 items not being soldered to the board, may be due to the fact, someone thought the #241 items could not stand up to the heat from being soldered, during manufacturing. I am now in a quandary of cementing the #241 items back in place, in lieu of soldering or using a cold solder technique. Has anyone found the same with their C5 Corvettes?

Last edited by Cockrobin; 07-19-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: I have since repaired my climate control by resoldering the #241 resistors back in place on the circuit board.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Jackman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cockrobin
I own a 2002 coupe and the #241 items appear to be a type of capacitor and are set up on the circuit board in vertical rows of 4 each, as per the findings of member SR-71. Also, I have found they were never soldered to the circuit board. Instead, it appears they were cemented in place on the board with a clear epoxy. This may be the reason they are breaking down on everyone, the epoxy material is breaking down and causing an open in the circuit. All the other electrical items on the board are soldered to the board, including all the resistors which you will note are all color coded, as to their resistance factor. The possible reason for the #241 items not being soldered to the board, may be due to the fact, someone thought the #241 items could not stand up to the heat from being soldered, during manufacturing. I am now in a quandary of cementing the #241 items back in place, in lieu of soldering or using a cold solder technique. Has anyone found the same with their C5 Corvettes?
I had the problem with the #241's and I soldered them normally with a soldering gun and have not had any problems since. It's been a while ago that I did it.

Last edited by Jackman; 12-27-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Change of wording.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:25 AM
RW Foster
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I own a 2004 Z06 that I bought in 2008. The HVAC display went dim about 2 years ago and today, I finally got around to doing the fix. Those resistors sure can get loose. One of mine did, and fell on the floor. Damned thing took awhile to find! But, the fix worked and my display is once again as bright as new!
Old 07-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Max Sammons
7th Gear

I currently own a 1997 C5, I recently had the climate control go out. I took the unit and had it repaired. When I got it back I put it in and still the climate control unit does not light up and no air is available. Any Ideas on what I need to check next?? I replaced my battery 2 months ago and I recently had the ignition cleaned and rebuilt to resolve that issue. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:48 PM
Jackman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Sammons
I currently own a 1997 C5, I recently had the climate control go out. I took the unit and had it repaired. When I got it back I put it in and still the climate control unit does not light up and no air is available. Any Ideas on what I need to check next?? I replaced my battery 2 months ago and I recently had the ignition cleaned and rebuilt to resolve that issue. Thank you in advance.
Sounds to me like we are talking about two different issues. The climate control unit not lighting up is an easy enough fix on your own by soldering the "241" resistors. There are six of them. You do have to take the center console apart but it's not hard and the direction's are on this site, page and link.

But you say you have no air. That's a different problem not related to the 241 resistors and something I don't have enough knowledge to help you with. BUT before I do any work I would check the fuses. That could be the whole problem.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 PM
Jackman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jackman
Sounds to me like we are talking about two different issues. The climate control unit not lighting up is an easy enough fix on your own by soldering the "241" resistors. There are six of them. You do have to take the center console apart but it's not hard and the direction's are on this site, page and link.

But you say you have no air. That's a different problem not related to the 241 resistors and something I don't have enough knowledge to help you with. BUT before I do any work I would check the fuses. That could be the whole problem.
Since you're a new C5 owner this will come in handy also:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ould-have.html

http://www.brookins.us/accontroller/
Old 09-25-2015, 05:58 AM
fatboy999
Advanced

Default soldering resisters

We have the unit apart is in the photos, but not sure where or what to solder the resistors. can someone show me what to re-solder in a photo?
Old 09-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Jackman
Advanced

Originally Posted by fatboy999
We have the unit apart is in the photos, but not sure where or what to solder the resistors. can someone show me what to re-solder in a photo?
http://www.brookins.us/accontroller/ If you have the unit apart you should see the board with the six 241 resistors. Turn the board over and solder the contacts on the back of the board where the 241's poke through.
The following users liked this post:
68roadster (03-29-2017)
Old 10-15-2015, 05:50 PM
vettefun02
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
I just finished fixing mine!

It works like new!

I'll post some pics in a little bit.

basically I just touched up the soldering on the big surface mount resistors on the power supply board.

here are the pics..................................

remove the 4 screws from the back of the HVAC control, when you take it apart this is what you will see.

remove the 4 screws holding the power supply board to the back cover, and flip the board over.

there are 8 surface mount components (outlined in yellow), these are the "culprits".

with a soldering iron, touch up the solder joints on these components, be careful, due to the bad soldering, they may move from their locations on the board, if they do, use a pair of tweezers of small needle nose pliars to reposition them and hold them in place while you solder one side. don't use a soldering gun or too much heat, chip components tend to get damaged by too much heat.

(please pardon my crappy soldering, I did this in a hurry on my kitchen table right before dinner!)

Hey RPOZ4Z,
I am trying to get the photos that go with your post on the heater fix but the links on your post are not active. Would you please send me a copy of your fix procedure/photos. We are not fixing this problem but as I remember, when I fixed my 02 vette several years ago, what is removed also exposes the ignition switch and that is what we need to access at this time. Please send to my email at: vettefun61@***.net

Many thanks, Marshall
Old 11-10-2015, 01:00 PM
2GOFAST
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just fixed my HVAC display.

Thanks for the directions and links.

2GOFAST
Old 11-10-2015, 01:22 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackman
http://www.brookins.us/accontroller/ If you have the unit apart you should see the board with the six 241 resistors. Turn the board over and solder the contacts on the back of the board where the 241's poke through.
FWIW, the 241s on mine did not "poke through." They were soldered on the surface, only. I was still able to get them soldered to the contact points, though.

Get notified of new replies

To display on dual zone climate control panel is very dim

Old 12-17-2015, 09:44 PM
ruken
Intermediate

Any ideas on fixing the dim lights on a 1972 vet? The bulbs burn but cant see them through the console?
ruken
Old 03-19-2016, 08:40 PM
A67VETTEBIGBLOCK
Intermediate

Default Dim Display..

Pulled my climate control today and re-soldered the circuit board per this thread. Works like new now. Also pulled radio and added auxillary input jack from another thread on here.. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

Good Video for the HVAC Fix
The following 5 users liked this post by sloopdawg:
68roadster (03-29-2017), ArmchairArchitect (03-16-2022), cadillac531 (09-14-2016), msupc (06-23-2016), Niceun (01-11-2022)

Quick Reply: display on dual zone climate control panel is very dim