Sponsored by:

GM admits Column Lock problem, solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superbock
Let's lay off Zilla. He has some of the best avitars. You do not want to be cut off do ya.
This is true. I'll have to look into this.....haven't gotten the CLB yet and maybe just having the plate removed is the best way to go. Stupid question: Will this still get done even if the car is out of warranty?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:07 PM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know of any reason that I shouldn't just stick with the CLB that I installed myself? The power to the column lock actuator is removed thus it can't lock up. This seems like a simpler solution than Chevy's method of removing the locking plate.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:10 PM
C5-BRUCE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
This is true. I'll have to look into this.....haven't gotten the CLB yet and maybe just having the plate removed is the best way to go. Stupid question: Will this still get done even if the car is out of warranty?
If you have not purchased/installed the CLB the GM offer is what you should do. It's free and valid on 1997 through 2004 cars until February 29, 2008.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
C5-BRUCE
Racer

Originally Posted by slwhite
Does anyone know of any reason that I shouldn't just stick with the CLB that I installed myself? The power to the column lock actuator is removed thus it can't lock up. This seems like a simpler solution than Chevy's method of removing the locking plate.
If you have installed the CLB I'd probably ignore the GM letter. However, if you sell the car prior to Feb 29, 2008, I would let the new owner(s) know they have an option to have the SCL disabled.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:17 PM
TB427Z06
Pro

Received 410 Likes on 187 Posts

I had the aftermarket CLB bypass installed 1 year ago at a cost of $95 installed. I keep the receipt and when I got this new recall with a letter stating they'd reimburse me for having the Column lock fixed, I filled out the form and sent it in along with the receipt for the work done. I received a check for $95 from GM 2 weeks later! They even called my # at work and left a message saying my request for reimbursemant had been approved. I was pretty happy to say the least in getting my money back on something they should have paid for in the first place.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Cole
Pro

Originally Posted by Zilla
Sorry but welcome to this year. This recall happened a year and half to two years ago
Wake up. There is a NEW recall procedure released within the last 30 days.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:20 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5-BRUCE
Hey guys, it's not this difficult. I'm amazed to see 138 posts on this topic? Removal of the locking plate is NOT a RECALL which is why it will never be found on the NHTSA site.

US cars with manual transmissions will have the locking plate removed AND a new harness/relay will be installed.

US cars with automatic transmissions that didn't previously have the column lock removed are included in this 'activity'.

Canadian and export cars with manual transmissions must retain the column lock as removal requires approval by their various governments.

Currently, the only US Corvette that will retain the column lock is the 2005 C6. Likely a letter to those owners will be forthcoming?

This 'activity' is not a requirement for owners, only an option offered by GM. No flashing of the PCM will occur as the procedure - 04006C - does not require it and has obsoleted previous versions which required the flash.
If this is not a recall, why does my notice from GM clearly state "Safety Recall"?
Old 03-18-2006, 04:20 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have not purchased/installed the CLB the GM offer is what you should do. It's free and valid on 1997 through 2004 cars until February 29, 2008.
Bruce, the way I read this is if you had the recall performed that included the Re-Program, then as far as GM is concerned the recall is complete, but is warranting that work until 2-29-08. If their work fails before that date, then under the warranty they would remove the locking plate as the new procedure.

If you haven't had the Re-Program recall done as yet, they have modified if to remove the locking plate. There should be no expiration on a safety recall. So in this case, the 2-29-08 deadline does not apply, as the recall has yet to be done.

That is why some people who received the letter stating that this is not a recall supposedly had the ReProgramming done.

My letter, (Post #51), clearly states that this is a safety recall reminder. And there is no expiration date.

Am I reading the letters wrong?
Old 03-18-2006, 04:29 PM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TB_TIGERSHARK_Z06
I had the aftermarket CLB bypass installed 1 year ago at a cost of $95 installed. I keep the receipt and when I got this new recall with a letter stating they'd reimburse me for having the Column lock fixed, I filled out the form and sent it in along with the receipt for the work done. I received a check for $95 from GM 2 weeks later! They even called my # at work and left a message saying my request for reimbursemant had been approved. I was pretty happy to say the least in getting my money back on something they should have paid for in the first place.
Unfortunately I didn't keep my receipt. I only payed $50 and installed it myself.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Very interesting.....will be calling the dealership Monday.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:08 PM
EscapePod
Melting Slicks

The notice I received from GM said, "...will be performed ONLY if the column lock fails before February 29, 2008."

If it doesn't fail before that date, GM does NOT fix it at their cost. It doesn't say, "come on in, and we'll fix it free, now."
Old 03-18-2006, 09:42 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'11

So, I guess GM recalled the recall

Originally Posted by S76HeliPilot
Sorry, but welcome to today.

DESCRIPTION:
PRODUCT SAFETY #04006C
DATED: FEBRUARY 8, 2006
IMPORTANT:

THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND REPLACES BULLETIN 04006B, ISSUED NOVEMBER 2004. THE SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR U.S. VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN REVISED. PLEASE REVIEW THIS NEW INFORMATION IMMEDIATELY.

ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 04006B SHOULD BE DESTROYED.

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1997-2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. When you remove the ignition key, the electronic column lock (ECL) system prevents turning of the steering wheel. When the vehicle is started, it unlocks the steering. Two conditions can prevent steering while the vehicle is moving:

1. The vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when the vehicle is started, the fuel supply will be shut off if the driver tries to move the vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering is locked.
2. During quick cranks, the ECL lock pin may not withdraw fully and, in vehicles where there is abnormally low clearance to the lock plate, there may be contact between the pin and lock plate. This can cause a noise or ratcheting when the steering wheel is turned or, if there is insufficient clearance, the steering wheel cannot be turned.

If one of these conditions occurs, a crash could occur without warning.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 AM
MachVette
Heel & Toe

Where can u order the harness bypass, and destructions?
or can I just go to dealership and pick it up?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:27 PM
charlene
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by HummelS
Automatics produced 2001-04 do not have the column lock.
That's what my dealer told me when i asked about the problem
Old 04-09-2006, 11:56 AM
dmaccor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zilla
Sorry but welcome to this year. This recall happened a year and half to two years ago
zilla ..whats up with that?

i just got this steering lock problem..i am glad there are some decent people out there who want to help ....2006 really..thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 03:55 AM
gcgxplosv1216
Instructor

Okay, I have 97 Export A4 23k miles at purchase now 36k on the odometer, the karness has been installed experienced the pull key wait 10 seconds issue. After an attempted theif during Hurricane Rita, new ignition swith & keys, the problem went away, now it is back. I noticed although the column never locked, when operating properly you could here the lock mechanisim engage upon start and disengage when turning it off. Now it no longer engages or disengages and the service column lock message has returned. I understand about the new Tech Bulletin date Feb 2006. Is there a permanent fix for this? Please someone help. I am sheduled to return to the dealership for the new service bulletin. At this point not very confident in the C5.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:58 PM
C5-BRUCE
Racer

Originally Posted by gcgxplosv1216
Okay, I have 97 Export A4 23k miles at purchase now 36k on the odometer, the karness has been installed experienced the pull key wait 10 seconds issue. After an attempted theif during Hurricane Rita, new ignition swith & keys, the problem went away, now it is back. I noticed although the column never locked, when operating properly you could here the lock mechanisim engage upon start and disengage when turning it off. Now it no longer engages or disengages and the service column lock message has returned. I understand about the new Tech Bulletin date Feb 2006. Is there a permanent fix for this? Please someone help. I am sheduled to return to the dealership for the new service bulletin. At this point not very confident in the C5.
This might get a bit touchy since you own an Export. GM cannot legally disable or remove the column lock on Exports. However, if you own the car, have permenant residency in the US and can prove title of ownership, this issue may likely go away? As such, this should be covered N/C by GM. The fix will be to disable the column lock and install a new harness/relay which prevents getting the column lock message.