Stress cracks in polished rims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:43 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Stress cracks in polished rims?

As I was detailing my car late this afternoon, I spotted what I believe to be hairline cracks on both rear wheels, each appearing on one spoke. The cracks are in front and wrap around to the inside of the spoke. Is this common? Should I be concerned? Would this be considered a manufacturing defect or ...?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 PM
EscapePod
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As far as I'm concerned, they're common. Sorry for this blurry photo, but the cracking is approx. 1.5" long, wraps around one of the spokes on my left rear polished wheel. I replaced it with a brand new one I bought from Fred Beans Parts Dept., since it was out of warranty.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:55 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I have a GMPP warranty. I'll have to check the exclusions for wheels, but if I can get them replaced under warranty, I will. Otherwise, I'll just keep an eye on 'em.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:01 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never drive on a cracked wheel....if you have never lost control of a car due to a mechanical failiure at 70 mph......it can be a real disaster.

I had a rear end lock up at 70 plus,,,,not pretty.

A cracked rim, while having the possibility to go many miles, is just an accident waiting to happen.

please get new rims
Old 02-05-2006, 09:05 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There was a post quite a while ago showing a wheel that disintigrated at speed. Not pretty Afterwards a number of memberrs chipped in with pics of hairline cracks.

In my experience with aircraft, those cracks just get bigger if not treated. Unless those cracks are stop drilled (and that would look bad) you're running a real risk. Speak to GMPP.

Don't drive it. JMHO
Old 02-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Tino
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc
As I was detailing my car late this afternoon, I spotted what I believe to be hairline cracks on both rear wheels, each appearing on one spoke. The cracks are in front and wrap around to the inside of the spoke. Is this common? Should I be concerned? Would this be considered a manufacturing defect or ...?
Are these factory rims or the aftermarkets? I have seen this problem on this forum with aftermarket rims.

Tino
Old 02-05-2006, 11:48 AM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

A hairline crack in a wheel is an accident waiting to happen. For your safety (and anyone around you), please do not drive on them. Replace the wheels ASAP.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:59 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Wow. Thanks for the advisement. They are the optional factory high polished aluminum rims. I do not see wheels excluded in my GMPP warranty, so I am going to press them for replacements under warranty next week.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:53 PM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by wrustywrench
never drive on a cracked wheel....if you have never lost control of a car due to a mechanical failiure at 70 mph......it can be a real disaster.

I had a rear end lock up at 70 plus,,,,not pretty.

A cracked rim, while having the possibility to go many miles, is just an accident waiting to happen.

please get new rims

Go without eating, cable, or heat for a month. Get new wheel. Don't want to read about you on here, what a good person he was....

tt
Old 02-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have heard about the thin spoke wheels cracking several times. This is one reason I keep my original 98 Wagon Wheels, I value function and performance above looks. Maybe GM went too far with the thin spokes?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:31 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Just reading my GMPP warranty again... Excludes tires (naturally), but wheels are not among the excluded items, though "bright metal" is, but I would expect that that refers to trim items, otherwise they would simply say "wheels".

I'll let you know what the dealer says this coming week when I bring this to their attention, along with the broken hand brake. This will be my first trip to the dealer. It will be quite an introduction...

Here are the visuals:

The fronts look okay. Looks like the thin spokes have a tough time dealing with the torque.

Last edited by JMc; 02-05-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:27 PM
SilverBullit02
Burning Brakes

It's apparently more common than I figured. I happen to have the exact match to your cracked wheel in my storage shed. The crack appears to be in the exact same spot also. I figured I hit a pothole or something. Fortunately, I was able to get a complete set of good "used" wheels from 1 of our supporting venders.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:29 PM
EscapePod
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JMc --- with the exception that my photo is too out of focus, your wheel looks identical to mine. The crack goes around the spoke just like yours.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:35 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EscapePod
JMc --- with the exception that my photo is too out of focus, your wheel looks identical to mine. The crack goes around the spoke just like yours.
Weird, huh? Do you think they will replace this under warranty without any hassle? Or am I going to have a fight on my hands?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:43 PM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by JMc
Weird, huh? Do you think they will replace this under warranty without any hassle? Or am I going to have a fight on my hands?
They shouldn't hassle you.....The damn wheel is defective, the metal should not crack. Let us know how you make out. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Chumsicle
Intermediate

Glad to see some pics. My rear wheels look just like that. I posted this pic awhile back, but I think the thread might be gone. It's from one of my rear wheels. Both rears have the cracks. A couple of local dealers gave me the brush off about this issue and wheels unfortunately are not covered under my extended warranty. I've since been looking for some replacements but not sure whether to go with the same exact wheels if this will happen again.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:56 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Hate to say it, but it looks like you have a great reason to buy some aftermarket wheels!

Hope things work out for you.

Micah

Get notified of new replies

To Stress cracks in polished rims?

Old 02-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Chumsicle

Glad to see some pics. My rear wheels look just like that. I posted this pic awhile back, but I think the thread might be gone. It's from one of my rear wheels. Both rears have the cracks. A couple of local dealers gave me the brush off about this issue and wheels unfortunately are not covered under my extended warranty. I've since been looking for some replacements but not sure whether to go with the same exact wheels if this will happen again.
Same exact crack and same problem here - the local dealer told me to forget it, even though I was under my 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I had no idea this is such common problem.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:29 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Obviously the wheels should have no cracks. A crack is a defect and should be covered under warranty with no questions asked.

This is a safety issue. Period. In fact if this becames widespread enough Chevy could be forced to do a recall.

I have the thin spoke polished on my 02 that I also ordered new. No cracks, yet, but I check them from time to time after first hearing of this.

The odd thing is that the high polished wheels are forged and not cast like the painted thin spokes. Theoretically the polished wheels should be less prone to cracks than the painted.

Anyone with painted thin spokes have an issue with cracks?
Old 02-11-2006, 02:59 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

I would appreciate it if anyone who has cracks in their thin spoke rims (particularly the rears) contribute to this thread. I have an appointment with my local dealer this coming Thursday and if the dealer tries to give me the brush, then I am going to print this thread and ask to see their GM rep to escalate the complaint. I want new, non-defective rims, period. If the GM rep also refuses to replace the rims under warranty, I want them to provide me something in writing that states that these wheels are safe to drive on. These were a $1,200 upgrade and they should not crack after 50k miles of highway driving in California. There are no other signs of damage to the rims whatsoever. I brought my car back to the place that installed the rear set of tires and they agree that these rims are clearly defective.

Last edited by JMc; 02-11-2006 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Stress cracks in polished rims?