FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just posted my complaint with NHTSA.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
EscapePod
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Per the NHTSA request, my cracked wheel is being shipped to them via FEDEX tomorrow morning.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:00 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wanted to post pix of my cracked wheel.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 AM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I teach at an Army base. A soldier there has the polished wheels on his car so I stopped by his office and suggested that he inspect the rear wheels with me. Sure enough, the right rear had a cracked spoke near the rim. I told him to stop driving the car. It's worth being a polite crusader about this.

Last edited by DSKRALL; 03-17-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:21 PM
steveblonde
Drifting

Default update

GM Canada will NOT warranty the wheels - something to do with the fact the car has LOW PROFILE TIRES that may cause them to crack if you hit a pothole However the NHTSA inquiry may possibly result in GM taking responsability - so keep on them i guess I got this from what i belive to be a very reliable source - i am just the messenger
Old 03-18-2006, 12:21 PM
redrockvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I've got a crack too.

Just checked mine. I've got same crack as page 1 on drivers side rear of my original equipment polished wheels. 2002 with 30400 on the clock. I advise everyone to check your wheels and post to NHTSA.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:27 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steveblonde
GM Canada will NOT warranty the wheels - something to do with the fact the car has LOW PROFILE TIRES that may cause them to crack if you hit a pothole However the NHTSA inquiry may possibly result in GM taking responsability - so keep on them i guess I got this from what i belive to be a very reliable source - i am just the messenger
This sound curious for two reasons.

1. The tires are OEM spec and the wheel/tire combo should be designed to work together. It's not as if the stock tires were non-runflats and you later added runflats.

2. If potholes were the culprit, then there would be far more instances of front wheel failure, rather than nearly exclusive rear wheel failure. I don't know too many people who hit potholes while driving in reverse. Or who miss them with their front tires, before hitting them with the rears.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:38 PM
redrockvette
Pro

Default NHTSA Link

Just completed NHTSA complaint form. Took 5 minutes. I urge all with issue to complete so we can get this nipped.

Here's link...Thanks.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
Old 03-22-2006, 05:26 PM
redrockvette
Pro

Default Update from Dealer and GM

Stopped by dealer on Monday to let them look at stress crack on driver side rear wheel. Service writer agreed it looked the same as the others in the web post. He told me to call Chevrolet at 800-222-1020 which I did. I told Chevrolet this was a huge safety issue and someone at GM needed to look at it immediately. Over the phone I walked her to this site to see this thread so she could see the issues.

She called me back today and said GM would do nothing because my car is out of warranty. 2002 with 30400 on the odo.

She recommended I have everyone having the issue call Chevy 800-222-1020 and create case and maybe then they would do something about it.

GM doesn't seem to care...Not a huge surprise.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by redrockvette
Stopped by dealer on Monday to let them look at stress crack on driver side rear wheel. Service writer agreed it looked the same as the others in the web post. He told me to call Chevrolet at 800-eat-zhit which I did. I told Chevrolet this was a huge safety issue and someone at GM needed to look at it immediately. Over the phone I walked her to this site to see this thread so she could see the issues.

She called me back today and said GM would do nothing because my car is out of warranty. 2002 with 30400 on the odo.

She recommended I have everyone having the issue call Chevy 800-eat-zhit and create case and maybe then they would do something about it.

Fixed it.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:31 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

This forum rocks! I have no doubt that this forum is saving lives without even knowing it.

Even though this particular issue has not yet been addressed properly by those that are responsible, just alerting us to this problem has resulted in wheels being replaced, which is indeed necessary, because a cracked wheel WILL eventually break, not breakdown, but break, just like one member posted about one basically disintegrating.

I've also noticed in this thread alone that some people had cracks and didn't even know it until they read this thread. I, too, am guilty of not looking carefully enough at my wheels, because I never DREAMED something like this would be possible.

I am ready to file a report when I use a magnifying glass on my wheels tomorrow, too, should I find something out of the ordinary with my wheels. In the event that I don't, is there something else I can do to help get this issue resolved?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:29 PM
C5 Freak
Burning Brakes

I had the exact same situation with my right rear. I posted on the forum around May 14, 2004 when it happened. Nobody on the forum made a big deal out of it then. Some people even made wise *** remarks about it.
The car was delivered on Apr 13, 2001 so it was out of warranty, but they replaced it no hassle after the SM checked it out. I did not even need to invoke the GMPP.
I am off to the NHTSA site to log a complaint now.
My ODI # 10153479. Go check it out. What's yours?
(Edited to add ODI#)

Last edited by C5 Freak; 03-22-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:09 AM
GTC
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Originally Posted by redrockvette
It is their business to not care.

Does this affect the thin 5 spoke wheels much more than the 10 spoke z06 wheels or the older 5 spoke wagon wheels?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:34 AM
beden1
Drifting

I have an '01 coupe with the high polish wheel option. 15,600 miles and fortunately no cracks, yet. I read that GM put forged wheels on most vettes through '01, and then switched to a cheaper cast wheel from another manufacturer. I suspect most of the cracked wheels may be cast. If forged wheels cracked, they may have been damaged by hitting pot holes hard, etc. The design is questionable from a strength standpoint. I just got my car back from dealer service and had them check the wheels. The car is out of warranty, but the dealer said they have seen cracked wheels and if mine do crack, they would push GM for replacements since I really take care of my car.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:03 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5 Freak
I had the exact same situation with my right rear. I posted on the forum around May 14, 2004 when it happened. Nobody on the forum made a big deal out of it then. Some people even made wise *** remarks about it.
When I was researching this, before they replaced my wheels, I found your post and thought it curious that your problem didn't get much play in the forum. Anyway, I'm glad you found this thread and thank you for adding your name to the list of those of us who have reported this to the NHTSA. The more who take a moment to report the problem, the better chance of something actually getting done as a result of our collective efforts.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:57 AM
TomT
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 38 Posts

I noticed a couple owners with cracks have not put their info in the poll for compiling. I did a ttt so that it is near the top for ease of voting. Someday this might come in handy. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:59 AM
love my car
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JMc
When I was researching this, before they replaced my wheels, I found your post and thought it curious that your problem didn't get much play in the forum. Anyway, I'm glad you found this thread and thank you for adding your name to the list of those of us who have reported this to the NHTSA. The more who take a moment to report the problem, the better chance of something actually getting done as a result of our collective efforts.
Thank you for bringing this to all of our attn. I for one check my wheels everytime i was the car,its black so its washed alot.So far no cracks.

Get notified of new replies

To Stress cracks in polished rims?

Old 03-23-2006, 05:39 PM
MyToyC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc
Just an update on this issue, because I think it's an important one. I received an e-mail from a Safety Defects Engineer from the NHTSA this afternoon that began with:

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is presently reviewing a number of these complaints."

In the e-mail, the Engineer asked for pictures and detailed information, including any links to threads like this one to further his investigation.

I just heard from another CF member today whose claim was denied by GMPP, and I am assisting him with info regarding my successful warranty replacement because if it is the same kind of stress fractures, then GMPP should be honoring these warranty replacements across the board.

Remember, if you have discovered the same kinds of stress cracks in your highly polished rims, and you haven't notified the NTHSA as described above, please do so now. You might just help yourself or another "Vette owner avoid a tragic catastrophe on the road.

to all who have gotten the NTHSA's attention by reporting this defect.

Thanks for your help.

I called GMPP myself after the dealer said they would not replace the wheels. When I talked to a customer service rep, they told me my dealer had not told them it was stress cracks. They thought they were talking about scratches in the polish. They told me to take the car back to the dealer and have them call GMPP and they would put a note on my file to send out an adjuster. Since I live in Ohio and the weather is still not that good, today was the first decent day I could get it back to the dealer. The adjuster from GMPP came out and said they will replace both rear wheels. They are getting shipped from the warehouse and should be here next week.

Thanks for all your help! I can't wait to get them replaced because I don't feel safe pushing it with the current rear wheels. It has been a long winter and I feel the need for some serious speed.

MyToyC5
Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Right on. Congratulations and I'm glad you didn't let it go at the dealer level. It's important to politely inform your dealer that you want someone from GM to inspect the wheels if they deny your claim. I told my service tech from the get-go that I was gravely concerned about the safety of my cracked wheels and if his manager felt like declining my issue that I was going to want to escalate it to a GM rep. To their credit, my dealer service rep and his manager "got it" from the beginning and had no interest in prolonging my discomfort. They acted as my advocate with GM, which is how we all wish our dealers would react in this situation.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:10 AM
atsugidad
Instructor

Default Nhtsa Responses

Has anyone heard anything lately from the NHTSA concerning the cracks? Status of investigation etc?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Stress cracks in polished rims?