Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you keep your electric garage door when you installed your lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:22 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Did you keep your electric garage door when you installed your lift?

I'm considering installing a 4-post lift but not sure I will be able to keep my electric garage door opener. In its current position it will almost certainly be in the way. Looks like the door tracks would have to be moved up too, to clear the "top" car. Luckily, I have a 10' 4" garage
celiing. My garage doors are 8' high by 10' wide. I figure I will need a minimum of 52" clearance for each car. Wondered how you dealt with these problems when you installed your lift?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Liberty2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a way to eliminate the motor on the ceiling and still have an electric opener. There is a company, Wayne Daltan (it could be Wayne Dalton) that makes a very different opener. Their opener attaches to the wall above the garge door, not on the ceiling. Basically, the electric motor clamps onto the torque rod that has the wind-up springs on it. It turns the rod itself. This eliminates the need for the motor on the ceiling, the track for the chain drive and the bar that connects the chain driive to the door. I'm in the Chicago, IL area and around here Menards has it for $261. It comes with wireless remote controls.

Get one of these an all you'll have on the ceiling above your cars are the tracks for the door. I suppose any garage door installation company could move those as close to the ceiling as possible for you.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 AM
JWB ZO6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I believe its called an Idrive opener.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:21 AM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't go with wayne-dalton,it's a POS ,see if your garage man can move the motor to one side of the door,if your doors not heavy it can be done
Old 01-25-2006, 10:40 AM
89sleeper
Burning Brakes

Location: The land of 10,000 lakes ,Minnesota 89 coupe 6speed with 383 and 89 roadster 6speed bonestock with XXX low miles
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my opener off to get the max lift clearance as possible my total clearance with out opener now is 10' 1'
I can now stand under the car and I am 6' tall
Old 01-25-2006, 03:01 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default good luck and keep us posted

Originally Posted by BarneyZ
I'm considering installing a 4-post lift but not sure I will be able to keep my electric garage door opener. In its current position it will almost certainly be in the way. Looks like the door tracks would have to be moved up too, to clear the "top" car. Luckily, I have a 10' 4" garage
celiing. My garage doors are 8' high by 10' wide. I figure I will need a minimum of 52" clearance for each car. Wondered how you dealt with these problems when you installed your lift?
Only just started looking into 4-post lift, but have read numerous posts.

A few thoughts I am looking into for mine (also have a 10.5' ceiling):

1. the 'standard' type garage door opener (track, suspended from ceiling at about the same height as the door track), might be re-mountable directly to the ceiling with just a longer arm between the door and the track slider.

2. the 'upper' car on the 4-post lift can be backed-in (instead of driven in forward) which may decrease its height requirements (by putting the hood below the garage door opener instead of the roof).

3. Positioning the 4-post lift more forward in the garage, may allow enough clearance to open the door sufficiently to get a car in/out, without requiring full-open. The door's limit could be controlled by the opener and bolts in the track to prevent damage to the upper car.

4. must add a few extra inches (4"?) to clearance requirements to allow for the 4-post lift lock mechanism to dissengage (typically needs to go up a bit before being able to be lowered).

Get notified of new replies

To Did you keep your electric garage door when you installed your lift?

Quick Reply: Did you keep your electric garage door when you installed your lift?