C5 issues and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Red3644
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 issues and recommendations

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. I'm a former Vette owner and am looking forward to joining the fold once more. I
am looking at several clean C5s in the San Antonio/Austin TEXAS area. The only thing I've heard
is to look for an '02 or later as the earlier cars had a
slight oil usage problem related to the rings...ring
flutter? Does this sound familiar or are there any other
suggestions? All help greatly appreciated!
Michael
Old 01-05-2006, 09:33 AM
c3andc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The early C5 LS1s are known to be a little loose and have oil consumption issues. Some more then others. My 2000 uses about 1/2 qt every 4K miles under normal driving conditions. I can't confirm if the later LS1s have been fixed. I wouldn't go earlier then the 2000 if I were you. 01 came in with an additional 5hp if that matters to you.
Good Luck
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 AM
lkr0
Advanced

welcome to the C-5 forum.

This is the best place by far to get your questions answered.

The people on this forum are extremely helpful (I have learned something new everytime I logged on).

I purchased an 01 mn6 vert in Aug with 34k miles on it. It now has 40k in this period I have used one quart of mobil one. This was in the first month of ownership. The low oil indicator only came on once after hard-fast driving in Atlanta summer heat (numerous runs at rpm speeds in the 4 - 5k range).

So far no other oil usage issues. I ride with a bottle of mobil one in the trunk just in case.

Lyn in ATL
Old 01-05-2006, 10:02 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome.
At the top of this section (C5 General) there is a "sticky" ( permanent posting) called Weights, Measures, ratios etc.
Read that, it contains a wealth of information about C5's and some of the more common problems/issues/fixes

Also at the top of the C5 Tech section there are 3 stickies... you should read 1. Steering Column lock, 2. Oil pressure problems, 3. Leak check

these 4 documents will cover a lot of what you should know before buying.

Another good resource is www.corvetteactioncenter
follow this link to the model center.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/index.html

within each year you will find out everything you want to know about productions, options, specifications, improvements , performance ....just click on the various tabs....

The oil consumption issue is thought to be limited to early '01 model year changes associated with the HP increase and some of the internal componentry( paper backing rings)
My '01 was built in Aug '00 and has no problems.... so go figure...
the issue is allegedly exacerbated by extended driving above 4000 rpm.

Good Hunting !

Last edited by rws.1; 01-05-2006 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2006, 10:34 AM
man00dude
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

According to what i have read (since I too am a new C5 owner), the LS1 engines fitted to earlier C5 Corvettes use more oil than any other engine types. They were set up to a tight tolerance target in relation to piston-to-bore clearance, and were designed for low internal friction via the piston ring set. The second compression ring design is the culprit. Driving habits play a role too. Low speed driving at low load but high RPM is a worse case scenario for oil consumption. I have a 2003 Coupe. It had 2100 miles when purchased. I put 2000 miles on it in the last 5 months. The DIC says I have 75% oil life remaining. I'll check the oil level to see how much I burned so far. However, oil consumption will not deter me from enjoying my C5.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Liberty2000
Instructor

I have a 2000 MN6 and mine uses absolutely no oil at all. I haven't had a single problem with mine. It's been the best Corvette I ever owned. In fact, I would go so far as to say, it's the best car I've ever owned.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

A couple of other considerations: if a warranty is important, look for an 03/04 within the 36mo/36kmi window. You can get GMPP relatively cheap from Dennis @ Ken Fichtner Chevy (sponsor).

Run Carfax and pull a GM maintenance history from any GM dealer with the VIN. Info should dovetail.

Also, talk with your insurance agent/co. Insurance can have a large impact on your car budget esp if you go Z06.

Checkout Corvettes of Houston; they have a good reputation here on the forum. I am very pleased with my acquisition from Rogers in Orlando (he ships).

Good luck and enjoy.

DBD
Old 01-05-2006, 11:52 AM
DJMRTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Liberty2000
I have a 2000 MN6 and mine uses absolutely no oil at all. I haven't had a single problem with mine. It's been the best Corvette I ever owned. In fact, I would go so far as to say, it's the best car I've ever owned.
I have a '99 and no oil loss here!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,525 Likes on 14,090 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good advice to look for a car that is eligible for an extended warranty - the warranty can sure be your friend at times. The '01 manual equipped cars were the ones that mainly had the oil consumption problems, but some earlier models, like my '00, had the problem too. They came out with a new ring set at the beginning of the '02 model year that supposedly corrected the oil consumption issue.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:41 PM
michael wyborny
Instructor

So far, this is what I've learned.... with the '01 year.

-It's my understanding that the side window and rear rubber has been enhanced to help with the water leaks.
-More enhancements to car to decrease outside noise (I dont have any more noise than any other car I would drive down the road, so I'm happy).
-Oil consumption is also related to the EGR valve contraption. It'll suck oil into the intake. Some people get those oil catch cans. I still haven't gotten mine yet. ALso, yes, I've heard that %5 of the first '01's have the oil ring problem.
-I'm in Austin and I have to keep my car at standard height becuase of some of the dang roads around here (you mentioned austin area).
-Active handling software/algorithm update in '01.
-If in austin, dont go to mothers window tint. They dont do such a good job. Go to Sun Tint or another place. Mothers is $20 cheaper than the others thats why I went there in the first place.
-I got a 4year/100K warranty from GM for $1,700 (have to 'talk' to them for this price).
-I felt kind of lucky getting into my car. It was a dealership car and the ad didn't list ANY of the options. I thought I was getting into a plane jane vette. But I found that it was actually loaded. It was about a week until I 'found out' that I had a 12 disc changer. Also keep in mind that if a car is at a dealership for more than 30 days, they really need to get ride of it. So you could 'watch' certain cars and low ball them later. I got mine on day 34. I'm guessing it didn't sell becuase of the inacurate ad they placed.
- I'm a big guy (6'0,250lbs), so I was happy with the automatic. I feel wedged in there as it is, so using a clutch all the time would suck for me. Also, you dont have to worry about the colum lock with an auto. Also, dont forget the 'recline' lever on the seat side. I was really jammed in there for the first 100 miles before I found that sucker. Boy was I happy when I found it. If you do go auto matic, be sure that its with the Hi-perf rear end (3.15 ratio). I couldn't imagine anyone NOT getting this option with there vette, but I suspect some of them dont have it.
-Keep you rear luggage compartment clean. Stuff really fly's around back there when your feeling spunky and want to get on it a little.
-I would recommend staying away form vehicle that were mod'ed with cams, intakes, etc... This only tells me that the owner 'got on it'.
-Use super unleaded or you'll hear pinging upon acceleration. It pinged on me from the dealership, but after the first tank, never again.
-Pull any codes from the DIC. But I would imagine most people remove them prior to sell.

In all it took me many months of learning before I knew 'exactly' what I wanted. Pull the KBB, Edmunds and Nada prices and go from there.
that's all I can thing of for now.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Liberty2000
I've got a 99 and run the oil till the monitor say 20% life remaining - I've NEVER had to add a drop of oil in 45000 miles.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Red3644
Instructor

Thanks for all the info. I can see that this forum will be of great value. I'm in the Pantera group and have learned the value of a group of enthusiasts like this.
Looking forward to getting a car soon. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Just remember, major upgrades occurred in 2001 http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2001/index.htm
Old 01-05-2006, 03:59 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

My 99 never used oil before I pulled the motor out at 32K for a blower setup and it is also a MN6

Get notified of new replies

To C5 issues and recommendations

Quick Reply: C5 issues and recommendations