Sponsored by:

[Z06] Truck backs over my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Marine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck backs over my Z06

So a truck decides to back up onto my baby! I was on the pistol range this morning and picked up allot of dust. I went to go spray some clean water on her to knock the dust off and dude ( a nice enough word for what I really mean to call him) backs his truck right up onto my hood. He had AAA insurance, I talked to them already and my insurance. Damage doesn't look "bad" but the fascia is cracked deep in three places (you can see the deep white lines in the front and next to my 50th emblem, those are DEEP cracks) and the hood isn't just scratched it is warped a bit (where the "scratches" are on the hood it is dented in). What should I be looking at in repairs and the such. Whole new fascia? New hood?
My wife ran my I-ROC into a parked car and even after "good" repairs the hood was never the same and I could still tell.
Can I push for repairs to new condition or just repair of parts?
Not a good day for me.

Last edited by Marine; 12-05-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:09 PM
JR_VET
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine
So a truck decides to back up onto my baby! I was on the pistol range this morning and picked up allot of dust. I went to go spray some clean water on her to knock the dust off and dude ( a nice enough word for what I really mean to call him) backs his truck right up onto my hood. He had AAA insurance, I talked to them already and my insurance. Damage doesn't look "bad" but the fascia is cracked deep in three places (you can see the deep white lines in the front and next to my 50th emblem, those are DEEP cracks) and the hood isn't just scratched it is warped a bit (where the "scratches" are on the hood it is dented in). What should I be looking at in repairs and the such. Whole new fascia? New hood?
My wife ran my I-ROC into a parked car and even after "good" repairs the hood was never the same and I could still tell.
Not a good day for me.

You can tell your adjuster that you want all of the items replaced not repaired. you need all of the items removed to ensure that nothing else is damaged or need to be straighten out or up. you know what I mean. don't let then do what ever is cheaper and repair is cheaper but your car won't be the same.

GOOD LUCK Semper Fi
Old 12-05-2005, 11:00 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUCH!... Sorry to see this... Hope you get it all worked out to your satisfaction....
Old 12-05-2005, 11:58 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Take it to a body shop that specializes in corvettes. Insist on that from the insurance companys'. The body shop guy(if he's good) will only install new parts and match the paint perfectly. Why should you settle for fixed parts/facia? Get it new and then ask about diminished value. My car was rear ended, the rear facia was cracked and the passenger side rear 1/4 panel was cracked a little, and the trunk pan was cracked. Insurance co said that the pan and 1/4 panel could be repaired. Body shop said repair could not be done and ordered new. Since your ins co will be reimberesed by other ins co, they should let you get it new.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:10 AM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

This is BS brother! I would lite someones a$$ up so bad if someoen touched my car. Good luck with the repairs and I hope you find a good corvette shop.
Dave
Old 12-06-2005, 06:21 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine last summer.

His repair came to over $2000, but his car came back looking better than new, all the nicks and swirls marks on his bumper and hood were fixed. Plus he got a new 4 wheel alignment out of it.

Good luck

Tom
Old 12-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Best of luck with the repairs.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:48 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear, just make sure you get all new parts, and take it somewhere good, ask them to see some of their work.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:33 AM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

Knowing the history of how you have meticulously maintained your car I would expect 100% perfection. It was that way before the incident and I see no reason that it should not be that way after repairs. I would expect replacement of all damaged parts. I would push for the max. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose at this point. I am very sorry for what you are experiencing. It is only emotional damage but it still hurts and lingers.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ You guys are ridiculous... I was an insurance adjuster for almost 3 years.

that damage is nothing!

There is no need to replace any of those parts. The front facia is urethane and could be perfectly fixed even if there was a hole in it. The hood is made of SMC which is fully repairable too, even if cracked or chunked.

In your case all they'll have to do is re-prep and paint the panels b/c the damage is so minor. Black is very easy to match and they'll just replace your front emblem.

You can be and *** and try to demand new parts, but there's honestly no need and getting new parts will not change the quality of your repair. However, since you are the owner of the car they must make the check out to you. You could be an ******* and get "new" parts and get a check for all of that, then go to a body shop and pay to have it repaired and pocket some money.

Most people know very little about the repair industry... your car will be fine. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

In auto repairs less can be more...

In the above case, they'll remove the facia from the car to repair, prep, and re-paint if off of the car, but the hood will be fine, they'll mask off the rest of the car, repair the panel, and blend the paint out then clear the whole hood. After all that they'll put her all back together and it'll be fine.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Not a good day for me.

I might be inclined to try and keep the original hood - can't remember if the VIN# is stamped on it or not ? If so, it is better if they match.

Also, in my experience, the underside finish of the stock hood always looks better then when they are resprayed.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Vettez16
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This car is well taken car of. You had one hell of a was job on it. Your are within your rights to insist on new. The hood is fiberglass. It is full of fractures you don't see and has reduced intergrity. George had a point. The body shop enters your V.I.N # and reports accident repairs. Remember Car Fax. You should recieve compensation for loss of value. Whats fair is fair. Oh by the way, good job on remaining cool, since you where packing. i don't think Penn U has internet.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by VetteZ16
This car is well taken car of. You had one hell of a was job on it. Your are within your rights to insist on new. The hood is fiberglass. It is full of fractures you don't see and has reduced intergrity. George had a point. The body shop enters your V.I.N # and reports accident repairs. Remember Car Fax. You should recieve compensation for loss of value. Whats fair is fair. Oh by the way, good job on remaining cool, since you where packing. i don't think Penn U has internet.
The hood is scraped.... and it's not fiberglass it is SMC. The hood will be sanded down smoothed, then painted, I don't car how well taken car of the car is there is simply no need for a new hood.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Marine
Racer

Thanks for the info.
But yes Cobra I'm going to be an ***. I didn't back into my car he did. And when he did it I didn't have a "fixed" front facia or hood. I had un-fixed "new" facia and hood.

Last edited by Marine; 12-06-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:20 AM
hoogbest
Racer

Everyone is discussing repair of the Corvette....what about the extreme inconvenience to the owner, the historic data about the accident that might reduce the value of the car, the (don't laugh it can happen) emotional stress, the pain in the butt of the entire matter...... that just should not have happened. There is a heck of a lot more to this issue than just repairing the car. Who pays for that? The least the man should get is new parts and a first class repair. The careless guy who backed a t least quarter of the way up the man's front end should be be punished by having HIS insurance company pay a high buck and them raise his rates through the roof or cancel him. That's one of the main reasons rates are going through the roof........careless, unconcerned drivers who have no respect for other people or even themselves. Give 'em Hell Marine. it's YOUR Corvette that was damaged and YOU are the person who has to live with all the bullcrap it has and will continue to cause you. Good Luck. And Thank you for your service to our country!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Thanks for the info.
But yes Cobra I'm going to be an ***. I didn't back into my car he did. And when he did it I didn't have a "fixed" front facia or hood. I had un-fixed "new" facia and hood.
What I'm trying to explain to you is after it's all done a new hod and bumper is functionally no differnent than a properly repaired bumper and hood. All you're doing is wasting money and being an ***. Look you should demand a new bumper and hood, then ask for dimished value, then get smart and go have the damn parts repaired... then buy me a beer for all the money I've made you.

BTW this isn't fraud... they owe you pre-accident condition. Also, my car got hit, I have a repaired door and rocker and you'd never know... only issue is the hard-to-match millenium yellow, black is easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Truck backs over my Z06

Old 12-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Marine
Racer

I hear ya Cobra. But I don't think I would be content with simple repairs and money in my pocket. I just want whats fair to me and not get screwed. If I have cash left over or the difference isn't that great, I'll just use this opportunity to upgrade the facia and hood. I've had my eye on a tiger shark front for awhile.
My insurance adjuster is coming by at 2 to look at her but I still have not heard back from his insurance company yet.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Ah... trying to get a new hood/facia out if the deal and just pay the extra parts cost... smart my friend. Now I get it.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:03 PM
IN DEBT
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The same thing happened to my wife, we had the Z for about 48 Hrs and a 18 Wheeler missed his turn off on US 25, so he decides to back up. I had them replace every part on the car that had a scratch and then some. It took around $8000.00 to get the matter settled. I had the Z taken to a very well known shop. You can't even tell its been touched.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: [Z06] Truck backs over my Z06