Sponsored by:

[Z06] front plastic thing scrapes on everything wtf is it

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:05 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Default front plastic thing scrapes on everything wtf is it

annd can i take it off? its the black thing under the front bumper, one of my friends thinks that its like an air damn to push air to the radiator, is this true? because with my car being stock height it allready scrapes, can i take it off? modify it? anything? thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by badass1g
annd can i take it off? its the black thing under the front bumper, one of my friends thinks that its like an air damn to push air to the radiator, is this true? because with my car being stock height it allready scrapes, can i take it off? modify it? anything? thanks
I cut 1" off mine & I lowered my car about an inch on the stock bolts. It's easy to take off to work on. I don't think you're supposed to remove it though. I believe your friend is correct regarding the radiator.
You need to start taking dips slowly & approach driveways from an angle & slow & you should be good to go. Don't worry about it scraping, as it sounds worse then it really is. The center section pivots actually, & the 3 pieces are in the $35 range & easily replaced (15 minutes tops).
Ron
Old 12-04-2005, 10:54 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

u can trim it like said before....but dont remove it.... its gonna scrap no matter what though. The cetner piece does pivot and has a spring type action. when you hear grinding, thats bad. Thats your frame scraping adn you should think about getting some frame saver then, they are basically like roller skates underneath the front.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:58 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

don't worry about it, as it sounds worse than it really is. do yourself a favor & get the frame savers from a&a like somebody mentioned above. i did, and they've been the best investment i made, along with the a&a rocker rails.

i grind the snot out of the front of my car every day leaving the driveway, and the only thing that looks even remotely worse for wear is the bottom 1/8 inch of the black fairing. it has a spring hinge mechanism that enables it to fold fully backwards. one of the smarter things gm designed on these cars!

i don't think you want to remove the fairing as it's intention is to direct air up into the radiator.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:00 AM
badass1g
Drifting

perfect, thanks guys for the info, it just sounds like its beeting the **** out ofthe car, but if you say its fine, then i trust ya i go as sideways out of the drive way as possible. i could only imagine someone going strait out
Old 12-05-2005, 10:05 AM
t56gen3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is lowered a fair amount and my sweeper is pretty close to the ground, and it scrapes on everything. But, it's spring loaded for a reason, haven't had any issues.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

annd can i take it off? its the black thing under the front bumper, one of my friends thinks that its like an air damn to push air to the radiator, is this true?
I love it when people are uneducated about cars and buy a Corvette.

I've been having trouble with that round thing that sits in front of me, you know in front of the dash.

Just kidding.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Vettez16
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Help keeps the car at max down force at higher speeds. Also prevents stones kicking up into places they don't belong. There cheap, when they wear just replace them. I file mine to keep the scrape snots from dangling. I figure it will wear to desired height anyway. My driveway sucks!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:08 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

As others have mentioned it is to be expected even at stock ride height. I have mine down on stock bolts without cutting and I drag mine on most driveways and some of the larger gutter dips around my area and I have been driving lowered cars for 15 years. $60 part to replace when you need to. The spring that they built into the piece may be one of the most intelligent things they have done I highly recommend the A&A frame savers (roller skates that attach to the front frame) and the rocker rails from the same place to prevent high center scraping of your rocker panels on your car (occurs on the big up/down driveways).

Not trying to hate on ya badass but you might want to read through some more posts about the c5 (IE faq's and the weights/measurements thread)

Fej
Old 12-06-2005, 02:16 PM
badass1g
Drifting

i have been reading so much stuff this weekend, and i do know alot about cars for all the haters, just not domestics.. all i have been doing since i got my zo6 is reading reading reading. so just bare with me guys.. i will be a pro soon
Old 12-06-2005, 04:12 PM
why_ask_why
Racer

I like the fact that the front rubber airdam scrapes...it's like a warning indicator that the frame is coming soon if u aren't careful
Old 12-06-2005, 04:22 PM
barondw
Pro

Originally Posted by Shylor
I love it when people are uneducated about cars and buy a Corvette.

I've been having trouble with that round thing that sits in front of me, you know in front of the dash.

Just kidding.
Shylor its a waste of your breath they will never learn. He's will to remove an aerodynamic device without even knowing what it is.

Dave
Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

dont' worry, scrape it enough and it will trim itself! I'm still waiting for mine to get there!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

perfect, thanks guys for the info, it just sounds like its beeting the **** out ofthe car, but if you say its fine, then i trust ya i go as sideways out of the drive way as possible. i could only imagine someone going strait out
It actually describes the retracting mechanism in the owners manual

Ditto on the frame savers - Good mod
Old 12-07-2005, 12:01 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM even says that the front air dams are made to scrape. They are cheap to replace because they are made to be sacrificial.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:18 AM
badass1g
Drifting

Originally Posted by barondw
Shylor its a waste of your breath *they* will never learn. He's will to remove an aerodynamic device without even knowing what it is.

Dave

THEY??? wtf im in the they group huh?, dude, your seriously lame.. i didnt remove ****, i simply asked a ?. is that any reason to start the flaming session? hell no.. grow up..
Old 12-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Scott04Z
Burning Brakes

Location: I'm not quite middle aged and I only own one gold chain! San Jose CA

i have been reading so much stuff this weekend, and i do know alot about cars for all the haters, just not domestics.. all i have been doing since i got my zo6 is reading reading reading. so just bare with me guys.. i will be a pro soon

It's no sweat man...even the "know it alls" had to learn what they know from somebody. They need to be reminded of that every now and then. This forum does have a few members who forget that they don't know everything and like to let you know that they have lowered themselves to help you...aren't you lucky! 99% of the membership will answer most any question and are very helpful.

BTW...my car is at stock height and scrapes on my driveway every time I leave and return. You get used to it and I actually get a kick out of the people who hear the noise and turn thinking I've just shelled out the underside of my Corvette!

The air dam is very necessary for a couple of reasons. One is that it creates a high pressure area right under the radiator which forces air up into it. The second reason is aerodynamics at higher speeds. Don't remove it...maybe cut it down a bit if it helps going in and out of your driveway, but I wouldn't do more than an inch or so unless you are going to lower the car.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To front plastic thing scrapes on everything wtf is it

Old 12-07-2005, 08:57 AM
itsmeek
Pro

hey man don't mind the guys that think they know everything based on a little bit of reading in the forum. we all ask questions. i've had my share of ?'s here too. on the other hand i've rebuilt complete engines/tranny's etc etc, and put together so many turbo and sc's that i can't recall the actual number. the ignorant always show up from time to time and like to flant their reading skills.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:56 AM
barondw
Pro

THEY??? wtf im in the they group huh?, dude, your seriously lame.. i didnt remove ****, i simply asked a ?. is that any reason to start the flaming session? hell no.. grow up..
You already showed ignorance don't continue doing it, learn from others.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:26 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeez, come on guy's, cut the guy some slack....

Quick Reply: [Z06] front plastic thing scrapes on everything wtf is it