Sponsored by:

Delphi Roadie Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delphi Roadie Install?

Hey, I got one of these new ultra-small satellite radio Delphi Roadies for my 99 Coupe. Anybody put one of these things in their car? Any tips on the install, etc? It looks like I've got to mount a small antenna pod on the back hatch, and also wire some power to the unit itself.

any suggestions or help always appreciated! Everybody have a great holiday season!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:42 PM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

greetings.........not sure if these comments will be hugely helpful to you but here goes. we have a y2k coupe & got a roady2 about a month ago. we put the antenna inside the car on the passenger side of the dash. put the roady2 on the vent clip mounted it front & center. we use the fm modulator on a non-occupied frequency in this end of the world. it works terrific. signal consistently shows a very strong, perfect 3 bars on the roady2. sound is great. i'm not sure i'd put the vent clip mount on the center vent again----it's on so securely that i'm not sure that it's every coming off. we move the roady2 unit back & forth from the vette to our dd honda accord. btw, an additional antenna is also mounted on the passenger dash in the honda & works perfectly. good luck w/ your roady. once you get hooked on satellite radio, the odds of going back to terrestrial radio are rather remote. bub
Old 12-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

Thanks for the advice! My wife has an Acura with XM in it, so I already know that its hard to put up with commercial radio once you get into the satellite system - I'm a big jazz fan and regular radio has very little to offer me.

One further question - you have the radio antenna mounted on the dash - can you describe that in a little more detail? Do you just set it on the dash when using the car and then put it away? Or do you have some more permanent arrangement? One set of old posts recommended mounting the antenna in the rear comparment - apparently fiberglass and composite plastic do not interfer with the signal. Another said "people jam the antenna up on the passenger side" and a third said to mount it inside one of the rear tail lights.

How does your dash-mounted system work?

And, again, thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.

Last edited by Tom Mieczkowski; 12-04-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:21 PM
stockC5
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I also mount the antenna on the passenger side dash in my o2 vert but put the roady 2 inside the center console plugged into the lighter socket. The only problem being that the power is constantly on and you have to remember to turn the unit off. This makes for a clean install.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

When you guys say "install on dash" is this a permanent install in which the antenna is fastened to something or is this a "lay it on the dash when in use" and stow it away afterwards approach?
Old 12-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Phidelt076
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom,

Check this thread out. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...59&forum_id=20

This has a writeup of how to install into the ashtray area and hard-wire it to be used through the AUX setting of the stock head unit. There is also another thread floating around in the audio/electronics forum that shows an install with pics (also installed in the ashtray).

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Old 12-04-2005, 06:49 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I got one of those wireless MyFi's!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:51 PM
cadawg
Instructor

Originally Posted by stockC5
I also mount the antenna on the passenger side dash in my o2 vert but put the roady 2 inside the center console plugged into the lighter socket. The only problem being that the power is constantly on and you have to remember to turn the unit off. This makes for a clean install.
I put the antennna on the driver side dash and ran the wire under the dash to the center console also. I bought an extra antenna and put it in my Explorer and take the Roady 2 from vehicle to vehicle whenever I want. Once you go XM you'll never go back!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Crocodile Dave
Instructor

I've had XM on 3 cars now- and I will say that the quality is much better when you have a "line in" to the radio (for the xm receiver output), which is not the case with Corvettes delco bose deal where you've got to use the modulator. I love XM, dont get me wrong, but the sound really shines when you dont have to use that modulator.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:56 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Tom,
At one point in time, I had an in dash XM system in my Z06. I put the antenna in the RR quarter panel mounted sideways (actually stuck to the verticle face of the inside of the tub pointed to the outside of the car - there was a little 4-6" space that it fit in perfectly) with sticky tape and routed the cable up under the carpet to the center console, then up into the dash. For obvious reasons, I don't have that system in the Z06 anymore... but for my F350 tow vehicle, I did get an XM Roadie. Again, I mounted the antenna out of site. On the F350, it fits under the plastic vent right between the hood and the windshield wipers. Reception was not a problem in either car with the antenna under fiberglass/plastic.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-05-2005, 11:56 AM
jedicowboy
Melting Slicks

I also put the antenna on the passenger side dash. You really have to look hard to see it. I ran the power and antenna wiring up behind the radio and had it come out right under the center vent which is behind the unit. You cannot see any of the wiring. Here is a pic

Get notified of new replies

To Delphi Roadie Install?

Quick Reply: Delphi Roadie Install?