Sponsored by:

[Z06] c5 vrs c6 Comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:59 PM
jdub
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default c5 vrs c6 Comparison?

does anyone know how a stock c5 compare against a stock c6? photos and\or videos would be nice. manuel transmissions for both vehicles. I am aware that ''Corvette Magazine'' conducted such an article, but i missed it. Thanks for the Info.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:09 PM
jdub
Racer

I will order a copy of the magazine and will find out. Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 09:12 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking mechanically or performance?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Vettez16
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh boy, time to get on the pulpit. Question to you want a corvette that was built to be a corvette (C5) or a Cad XLR with corvette body panels to look like a corvette (C6).

No disrespect to any C6 owner, I had choice and picked a C5 CE/ZO6. My next vette will be a C7. I have a problem with the General's decision to cut the C5 production a share a chassis with the Cad. F#&k economy scale. A corvette is a pure breed not a cross breed. At least it has a team corvette built engine. Look its a great disguise I will give them that, but park it next to an XLR, well I just get depressed. Good Luck in your call, at least your buying American power.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:33 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteZ16
Oh boy, time to get on the pulpit. Question to you want a corvette that was built to be a corvette (C5) or a Cad XLR with corvette body panels to look like a corvette (C6).

No disrespect to any C6 owner, I had choice and picked a C5 CE/ZO6. My next vette will be a C7. I have a problem with the General's decision to cut the C5 production a share a chassis with the Cad. F#&k economy scale. A corvette is a pure breed not a cross breed. At least it has a team corvette built engine. Look its a great disguise I will give them that, but park it next to an XLR, well I just get depressed. Good Luck in your call, at least your buying American power.
With the problems GM is having, how do we even know that there will be a C7?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:41 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Well I traded my Z06 for a C6 and couldn't be happier. To each his own I guess.
I would say that unless you plan on consistently taking your car to a road course get to C6. No need to live in the past.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My next vette will be a C7.
hope the styling is better!

Old 12-05-2005, 10:39 PM
jdub
Racer

I am talking performance and mechanical. Alot of people on this forum seems to own the c5 zo6. And I aslo noticed that alot of people discredit the new c6. I must admit, i am not a fan of the new style...the rear looks alot like an 86 vette, but the new c6 zo6 is a monster. I own a stock c5 and wanted to know how it will fair against the new c6. I love the way the the c5 zo6 looks but I love the option of the open top on the regular c5.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:49 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CYA-Vett
Well I traded my Z06 for a C6 and couldn't be happier. To each his own I guess.
I would say that unless you plan on consistently taking your car to a road course get to C6. No need to live in the past.
Living in the past? The C6 is an evolution of the C5. To me it's mainly a different style with lots of gadgets that don't contribute to performance. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:20 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5~Missle
Living in the past? The C6 is an evolution of the C5. To me it's mainly a different style with lots of gadgets that don't contribute to performance. It all depends on what you are looking for.
This is a ridiculous argument. He asked for the differences, not a pissing match to which one was better. EVERY C5 guy will say the C5 is better, EVERY C6 guy will say the C6 is better.

I was offfering an opinion since I had both.

I had the same feeling as the C5 guys before I drove/bought a C6, they will change their minds too. It happens every time a new style comes out.

As for performance, stock for stock a Z06 is slightly better, but that performance is only noticeable on a track, no one can tell me they push their Z06 to the limit on the street. If you think you have then you've never been road racing. For driving the streets I'd want the C6, for road racing, the Z06. Full bolt ons for both cars I'd call it even.

Right now, for the money, you can't beat a C5 Z06. I, however like driving new cars, and sports cars are generally beaten to death by their former owners, obviously finding a new C5 is not very likely.

PS, the gadgets are cool
Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

This is a ridiculous argument. He asked for the differences, not a pissing match to which one was better. EVERY C5 guy will say the C5 is better, EVERY C6 guy will say the C6 is better.

I was offfering an opinion since I had both.

I had the same feeling as the C5 guys before I drove/bought a C6, they will change their minds too. It happens every time a new style comes out.

As for performance, stock for stock a Z06 is slightly better, but that performance is only noticeable on a track, no one can tell me they push their Z06 to the limit on the street. If you think you have then you've never been road racing. For driving the streets I'd want the C6, for road racing, the Z06. Full bolt ons for both cars I'd call it even.

Right now, for the money, you can't beat a C5 Z06. I, however like driving new cars, and sports cars are generally beaten to death by their former owners, obviously finding a new C5 is not very likely.

PS, the gadgets are cool
Funny, its not a ridiculous argument when you say buying the C5 would be living in the past. Which is why I mentioned that the c6 is an evolution of the C5, its not an outdated design.
Anyway... after test driving the C6 and having two friends that own them, there are other noteable differences..
The C5 Z is more raw in its power delivery and feel. It feels more connected to the road and offers better feedback to the driver. The Z has a close ratio tranny which changes the character of its ride.
The C6 is more refined and feels less performance oriented. It lacks the viscerial feedback of the Z. While its performance might be close to the Z, it doesn't feel that way.
For those who want a more comfortable, quiet and refined ride, the C6 is the way to go.
If you go by the numbers... the Z shows better numbers... they typically run 116 -117 Q-mile runs while the C6 is 112-114.

The C6 would be the better choice for daily driving... but those who want the raw performance experience.... the C5 Z won't dissappoint
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM
ZO6R1
Burning Brakes

Seats are better with C6, Perf. is better, ect....I still like the C5. Like all new corvettes it sometimes takes a while for the new one to grow on you. If I had to buy one now, I would def. get the new Z06 for the perf. The 10+k over sticker is redic. There is no way I will pay that to a dealer. So I guess I need to run mine 70k more miles and then see what the C7 looks like.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,953 Likes on 5,345 Posts

The Z has a close ratio tranny which changes the character of its ride.
Actually the C6 Z51 has the same transmission ratios as the C5 Z06.
Bill
Old 12-08-2005, 08:28 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Bill
And the C6 Z06 has the same transmission as the non Z51 C6.
The Z51 gearing was too short.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Bill
yes it does but the C6 also has more torque managment and computer interferance making the C5 ZO6 a better performer and better able to be tuned.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
yes it does but the C6 also has more torque managment and computer interferance making the C5 ZO6 a better performer and better able to be tuned.
Torque Management can and is turned off by tuners.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

, and sports cars are generally beaten to death by their former owners,
Hey, speak for yourself.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 vrs c6 Comparison?

Old 12-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by jdub
does anyone know how a stock c5 compare against a stock c6?

I thought the original question was a stock C5 vs A Stock C6. I would say the C6 is better. A C5 Z06 vs a stock C6 the C5 Zo6 would be the choice. A C5 Z06 vs C6 Z06 then the C6 Z06. This is all assuming we are talking about performance only.

And Yes Geneus does beat his car....
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Geneus
Hey, speak for yourself.
This thread has gone awry. Now that Bob and Don are in, it's only going to get worse.

What was the original question?
better yet, what is stock?

Don, many layoffs today at Merck, better check on your friend....
Old 12-08-2005, 10:10 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Funny, its not a ridiculous argument when you say buying the C5 would be living in the past.
Think about it, I had a C5, so buying a C5 for me would be living in the past. Do you need to be so insecure, with a new model coming out, about your car that you have to find fault with wording of posts?

Quick Reply: [Z06] c5 vrs c6 Comparison?