Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had it with the C5 headlights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Blowtorch
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've had it with the C5 headlights!

Why does a high performance car have such crappy stock headlights? I started driving my car more at night recently and the headlights SUCK.

I tried the Silver Stars....a little better but not much.

What's the most inexpensive least time consuming way to get some decent headlights on a 98 coupe?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I used to have a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII. I loved that car, but its headlights sucked. I think that my C5's headlights are great compared to those!

Last edited by Bill Baird; 11-30-2005 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:04 AM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Blowtorch
Why does a high performance car have such crappy stock headlights? I started driving my car more at night recently and the headlights SUCK.

I tried the Silver Stars....a little better but not much.

What's the most inexpensive least time consuming way to get some decent headlights on a 98 coupe?
The first thing you should do is have an eye exam. I'm not trying to be a smart a..!
Old 11-30-2005, 12:10 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowtorch
I've heard of some on here doing a bulb switch using there high beam bulbs in the spot where the low beams go???

See if you can find something out about that, I think they had to use a drimel to shave away a little space to fit the high beam bulbs in, but should be a huge difference and only cost a couple bulbs and the time it takes to retro fit it.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:26 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Baird
I used to have a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII. It loved that car, but its headlights sucked. I think that my C5's headlights are great compared to those!
What a coincidence. I, too, had a Mark VIII before owning a C5 and that car had to have the worst headlights I've ever had the displeasure to drive behind. Even with extreme wattage headlight bulbs the lights still stunk. You could drive with the hi-beams on and no one would flash back at you. They make the stock C5 headlights seem like torches in the night. BTW, just putting in higher wattage bulbs in tne C5 made them acceptable to me.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The Mark VIII headlights did suck until mid year 1995 when it was the first North American car to offer HID factory lights. I have a 1997 2nd gen Mark VIII with a much bigger light housing, they are the best headlights I seen.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:49 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...76&forum_id=53
Old 11-30-2005, 01:23 AM
1998 GTR
Drifting

I did the bulb replacement (high beam bulbs in low beam sockets). A decent improvement, pretty simple, and cheap. I got the Silver Star high beam bulbs for under $40 for the pair (available at most auto supply chains). It took me maybe 30 minutes to pull them out, grind off a little tab on the new bulb housing, and stick 'em back in. Then maybe another 30 minutes in a dark parking lot aiming the headlights. Make sure you take the time to aim them properly. Otherwise brighter bulbs aimed into the ground don't help much.

There's an old thread (a few months back) here on CF where someone did a great job of posting detailed instructions with pics. Try a search. Not sure if it was in the General Section or the Tech Section???

I think the low beams are 1,000 lumens, and the high beams are 1,700 lumens. So that's a 70% improvement! Well worth the cost and time.

HID's are better, but very pricy!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:36 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...ode=VTLIGHTING
Old 11-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Z28STYLE23
Drifting

My HIDs only cost $350 and the light output is SOOOOO much better.

http://community.webshots.com/user/z28style23
Old 11-30-2005, 02:30 AM
Shane_S
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28STYLE23
My HIDs only cost $350 and the light output is SOOOOO much better.

http://community.webshots.com/user/z28style23

Was that one of those eBay kits?

Shane
Old 11-30-2005, 04:15 AM
Var
Racer

spent 300 bucks on my HID's. I was sp happy with them that i made my friend get them too. And his brother. And then i bought a high beam kit for myself afterwards.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:24 AM
CorvetteSteve
Pro

Originally Posted by Shane_S
Was that one of those eBay kits?

Shane
Whatever...long as they work!!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:27 AM
Shane_S
Drifting

Originally Posted by CorvetteSteve
Whatever...long as they work!!

lol why do you think i want to know? haha so i dont have to be scared to buy one.

Shane
Old 11-30-2005, 04:36 AM
CorvetteSteve
Pro

Originally Posted by Shane_S
lol why do you think i want to know? haha so i dont have to be scared to buy one.

Shane
LOL..haha..I hear ya!!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:55 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need an eye exam, you need real headlights!

Brighter bulbs, HID or otherwise is a waste of time because the plastic lens of the stock headlight is so poorly designed and executed. The light just sort of slays out all over the place. What you need are GM factory parts for Europe, the T-84 code headlights that use H4 halogen bulbs, available in a huge range of wattages. They have a precision reflector and beautiful lead crystal glass lenses with beautiful beam shaping and control. Best price in USA is at www.cibieusa.com The guy there is a C5 driver, and really know real high performance lighting. My T-84s with standard wattage H4s put more light on the road, wider and farther away, than a stock lamp housing with expensive HID bulbs. The T-84s also have a sharp cut-off to keep the light down on the road, but NOT in the eyes of oncoming drivers. Halogen light is also easer to 'see' than HID arc light, because it is wider spectrum bandwidth more like natural light, this giving the color receptors on you retina more to see. HIDs tend to skew the spectrum blue, with very little in the yellow region, just where the eye is MOST sensitive! Its all wrong!
One other place to check out is....www.danielsternlighting.com He is a good informational resource about lighting, bulbs, harnesses, relays etc, and may possibly also be a good source for the T-84 lamps.
Hope this helps
Jennifer
Old 11-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To I've had it with the C5 headlights!

Old 11-30-2005, 08:12 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

See my thread here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...3&forum_id=103

I did the 9005 mod, but apparently 9011 is even better. I'm happy with mine for $60...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:29 AM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Real happy with my Breathless Performance Units. Nice and bright and when I turn on the PIAA equipped fog lights....Watch out....Bright but not blinding
Old 11-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Mad_Maxxx
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by FiberglassFan
You don't need an eye exam, you need real headlights!

Brighter bulbs, HID or otherwise is a waste of time because the plastic lens of the stock headlight is so poorly designed and executed. The light just sort of slays out all over the place. What you need are GM factory parts for Europe, the T-84 code headlights that use H4 halogen bulbs, available in a huge range of wattages. They have a precision reflector and beautiful lead crystal glass lenses with beautiful beam shaping and control. Best price in USA is at www.cibieusa.com The guy there is a C5 driver, and really know real high performance lighting. My T-84s with standard wattage H4s put more light on the road, wider and farther away, than a stock lamp housing with expensive HID bulbs. The T-84s also have a sharp cut-off to keep the light down on the road, but NOT in the eyes of oncoming drivers. Halogen light is also easer to 'see' than HID arc light, because it is wider spectrum bandwidth more like natural light, this giving the color receptors on you retina more to see. HIDs tend to skew the spectrum blue, with very little in the yellow region, just where the eye is MOST sensitive! Its all wrong!
One other place to check out is....www.danielsternlighting.com He is a good informational resource about lighting, bulbs, harnesses, relays etc, and may possibly also be a good source for the T-84 lamps.
Hope this helps
Jennifer
T84's! (hopefully with HIDs after xmas!)
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: I've had it with the C5 headlights!