Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Corvette prices are RIDICULOUS.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:09 AM
IlyaFromTheBay
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Corvette prices are RIDICULOUS.

Why is there such a dumb California premium for most Corvettes? Check out these "fine" examples of what I am talking about:

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/111262711.html
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/111189831.html
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/109879411.html
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/110017364.html

And it goes on and on..

Sure, there are some decently priced ones, but they are still being sold/being held at no lower than $2,000 above KBB Private Party value for a "good" car.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:12 AM
jim213
Safety Car

Guess it's what ever the market will bear.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:15 AM
IlyaFromTheBay
Drifting

Originally Posted by jim213
Guess it's what ever the market will bear.

Hmm..

I e-mailed some guy who was asking $30,000 for a 99 with 22k miles, and told him that if he would come down on his price to somewhere near (re: within a grand of KBB value) $21,000, I would take the car off his hands. He e-mailed me back and said "$25,000 firm."
Old 11-15-2005, 12:28 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sister owns a small 1000 sq.foot house in nearSan Franciso which appraised for $600,000. Here in Arizona it would sell for $160,000 max. California is another world.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:49 AM
bindy
Advanced

It depends on which side of the fence you are on. If you are selling, you want to get all you can without "giving it away". It all works out even if you buy in CA and sell in CA. I bought my second C5 for about 10% above what I see those easterners sell their (ahem) not so clean cars for. But in return, I sold my first C5 for about 15% above the eastern average. You'll take it in the shorts to buy here and then move to say Texas and try to sell there.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:53 AM
chargedsol
Burning Brakes

Hey guys:

I agree, I have been looking for a vette for months now and could not find a decent deal.. i just picked up my vette last weekend for 16k. it was an awesome deal imo. its a 98, 6 speed, z51, 85k miles, driven by a nice 70 year old retired GM employee. only reason he sold was upgrade to a c6.

even then he emailed me the next day asking to buy back at 17k!! talk about sellers remorse..

here are some pics, let me know what you think

http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2117598115

Last edited by chargedsol; 11-15-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:02 AM
IlyaFromTheBay
Drifting

Originally Posted by chargedsol
Hey guys:

I agree, I have been looking for a vette for months now and could not find a decent deal.. i just picked up my vette last weekend for 16k. it was an awesome deal imo. its a 98, 6 speed, z51, 85k miles, driven by a nice 70 year old retired GM employee. only reason he sold was upgrade to a c6.

even then he emailed me the next day asking to buy back at 17k!! talk about sellers remorse..

here are some pics, let me know what you think

http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2117598115
Way to not hijack my thread!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:04 AM
chargedsol
Burning Brakes

sorry, didn't see an intro page.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:09 AM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by IlyaFromTheBay
Way to not hijack my thread!

Ilya... give the guy a break.... And please buy a car.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:17 AM
IlyaFromTheBay
Drifting

Originally Posted by DaBoz
yeah yeah...
Old 11-15-2005, 01:31 AM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple years ago, I flew to Texas to buy my car and drove it back. I couldn't find the same thing in Cali unless I paid about $5k more...
Old 11-15-2005, 02:27 AM
DKHIGHPERF
Instructor

Default Keep the Faith

Wisconsin is very similar with outrageous prices. I strongly suggest looking in Chicago, buying a one way ticket and drive one home froma dealer. Illinois dealers pay their inventory tax in late March. I picked up a 2001 Pewter/Blk Coupe with A4, 1SC package, both tops, perf axle ratio, 12 disk, and polished rims with 28k miles that was absolutely mint for $26,000. It even was GM certified soI know all recalls were performed and all service records were included.

My .02C
Old 11-15-2005, 02:42 AM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The land of "I GOT TO HAVE IT" no matter what!!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:53 AM
edensknight
Race Director

Originally Posted by skeet
My sister owns a small 1000 sq.foot house in nearSan Franciso which appraised for $600,000. Here in Arizona it would sell for $160,000 max. California is another world.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:53 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by DaBoz
You seem to be looking for a reason not to buy. You have no flexibility or imagination. You place limits on what you can do and how you can do it. ie; If you go out of state have to change financing, then the rates to high, even if the price is lower and there are hundreds of more cars to pick from....very seldom does the right deal drop in your lap unless you are prepared to be flexible and know how to put the deal together....

IMO you are just starting where you left off and you get testy here if someones on your turf. Seems i remember the same thing when you were going to buy a car out of state last time and some other guy chimed in liking the car too....then that became the issue, not buying the car, and then you didn't even know how you could buy it... I really wish you luck buddy, you are going to need a lot of it with all the Can'ts you have put in your way. Not preaching to you just trying to point out some facts.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:35 AM
IlyaFromTheBay
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOPLS90
You seem to be looking for a reason not to buy. You have no flexibility or imagination. You place limits on what you can do and how you can do it. ie; If you go out of state have to change financing, then the rates to high, even if the price is lower and there are hundreds of more cars to pick from....very seldom does the right deal drop in your lap unless you are prepared to be flexible and know how to put the deal together....

IMO you are just starting where you left off and you get testy here if someones on your turf. Seems i remember the same thing when you were going to buy a car out of state last time and some other guy chimed in liking the car too....then that became the issue, not buying the car, and then you didn't even know how you could buy it... I really wish you luck buddy, you are going to need a lot of it with all the Can'ts you have put in your way. Not preaching to you just trying to point out some facts.
I just don't want to buy a car out of state - period. No time, no time, and no time. Aside from those reasons, nothing is stopping me from buying a car out of state. Sure, I can get a loan from a higher % rate place because I'd save money on the car, but factoring in the plane ticket, my time off work/school, and gas to drive back, and I'm not really looking at a savings worth me flying out of state to look at cars. I am willing to wait as long as it really takes to find the right car, and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to find one in CA. This thread was just a vent for me, because some of the cars that would be possibilities aren't, because they're just completely outrageous in pricing - nothing I can do about that but wait for the right deal.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:09 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

A good deal will come along soon.. just have the cash ready to spend when the time comes.

VR

Get notified of new replies

To California Corvette prices are RIDICULOUS.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:29 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Everything is pricey in Arnoldland.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:57 AM
rc51racer
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree 100%. My dad lives in Lincoln, Ca. outside of Sacremento. The last time I was there in June 2005 I went looking at used Corvettes hoping to buy one and drive it back home here to Mo. What a joke, I couldn't touch anything used for less than $30,000. These in the 30 range were rough also. I came back home and decided that $20,000 was my target price. In September I finally found my first 1999 Corvette in K.C, Mo. I got it for $19,000 with extended warranty, MN6, 45,000 on the clock, new rubber F1's, all options except BSM and AH. Would have really liked AH but I will get that on my next Corvette.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:11 AM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPLS90

Its on now! and here he comes....

Quick Reply: California Corvette prices are RIDICULOUS.