Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Corvette prices are RIDICULOUS.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,425 Likes on 14,041 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Ever since I can remember the prices for Corvettes in California have been way higher than in other parts of the country. I guess they keep them up there because people pay the price.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 PM
gogo4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another big factor over other states.

-We don't have snow

-We get only 1 season of rain

-Smooth streets pretty much any city you head to

All of these factors will preserve your car and make it far more durable then in alot of other states. Thats why most car collectors will try to find their car in cali first due to the wheather conditions being (better for the car)
It is not crazy hot ...just right.

Now I am not saying california is the best damn state to be...just your car, I rather have more green in my life like texas,tahoe nevada etc.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:11 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gogo4

-We don't have snow

All of these factors will preserve your car and make it far more durable then in alot of other states. Thats why most car collectors will try to find their car in cali first due to the wheather conditions being (better for the car)

Now I am not saying california is the best damn state to be...just your car, I rather have more green in my life like texas,tahoe nevada etc.

I knew a guy that had just moved here from Ohio who said "At home, a California car is what you want".
Old 11-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Swany00
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

-We don't have snow

I agree with ya except for the streets, they pretty much suck out here!

85-sucks, bumpy
87-sucks, appears to be sinking
101- sucks and crowded
280- pothole city
680- sucks
580- sucked that last time I drove it, about 3 years ago
17- fun to drive with the vette but dangerous (still a crappy road)
9- fun if there aren't the crazy rice rockets, road is still bumpy

Most city streets are crappy too, guess Newark must have improved over the years?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:09 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

That's why I bought my past C4 and Current C5 out of state
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 PM
gogo4
Pro

Originally Posted by Swany00
I agree with ya except for the streets, they pretty much suck out here!

85-sucks, bumpy
87-sucks, appears to be sinking
101- sucks and crowded
280- pothole city
680- sucks
580- sucked that last time I drove it, about 3 years ago
17- fun to drive with the vette but dangerous (still a crappy road)
9- fun if there aren't the crazy rice rockets, road is still bumpy

Most city streets are crappy too, guess Newark must have improved over the years?
Yeah bro they re-did newark streets and its fairly good now.
101 is actually fairly ok no bumps just crowded
280 / 680 /580 are kinda ****ty but no huge bumps just messed up slight deformations in the road that make your car sound like a train..yes.
17 two thumbs up
9 - my favorite =)
1- also my #2 favorite
Old 11-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Marrbar
Heel & Toe

I love California...It was almost 80 today. i just put the top down and wondered what the heck they were doin in the east. The right deal will come along.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:23 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Wow.....Maybe I need to get into the cross country car sales business.

Jim
Old 11-16-2005, 10:42 PM
TheLaserShop
Racer

Yeah bro they re-did newark streets and its fairly good now.
101 is actually fairly ok no bumps just crowded
280 / 680 /580 are kinda ****ty but no huge bumps just messed up slight deformations in the road that make your car sound like a train..yes.
17 two thumbs up
9 - my favorite =)
1- also my #2 favorite
Newark streets ok....... but Newark cops suck!! Me: Off of Cherry and Robertson (end of Guava). Basically there is too much traffic anywhere and at anytime in the bay area to have more than 30 seconds of pedal.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Groucho
Drifting

Default I agree....

Originally Posted by 2ndVette
I don't understand that motive to whine when you want to be cheap. Your position, is a personal one, and is not shared by all. Either pay up or move on, life is a little short to be whining about the could ofs , would haves, might haves... For every seller there is eventually a buyer and always present are the legions of tire kickers with neither the money to buy or the emotional machismo to pull the trigger.

I know I don't have to read your posts....I don't know why I look...maybe like an accident when you are driving on the highway...You just gotta look even if you don't want to..
I'm thinking you should either find a car and buy it, or spare us the drama... Life is full of things we may pay too much for, but you can't spend your life pissing and moaning about the price of everything...
You sound like a nice kid, but reading your posts is kinda like when every week somebody asks what kind of tires are the best or whats the best wax?
Get 'er done and stop whining...
Old 11-16-2005, 11:56 PM
wolfmd
Pro

Originally Posted by jim213
Guess it's what ever the market will bear.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marrbar
I love California...It was almost 80 today. i just put the top down and wondered what the heck they were doin in the east. The right deal will come along.
What we were doing in the east was enjoying a 79 degree day today and 82 yesterday. Out streets are a heck of a lot smoother here, but they could sweep them a little better/more often.
I enjoy owning a home that would not fit on 5 lots out there or could not be had for under 2 mil.
To the guy that bought my house in CA, thank you for accepting the huge price tag. I guess he "had to have it now." I love being able to retire at 35 if I so desired.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:40 AM
gogo4
Pro

Originally Posted by TheLaserShop
Newark streets ok....... but Newark cops suck!! Me: Off of Cherry and Robertson (end of Guava). Basically there is too much traffic anywhere and at anytime in the bay area to have more than 30 seconds of pedal.
what colour vette you have? I wonder if i seen you around town... pretty much i know of about 5 that are in newark that i see around town.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:55 AM
Scott04Z
Burning Brakes

Location: I'm not quite middle aged and I only own one gold chain! San Jose CA

It seems to me that the biggest opportunity for saving money on a Vette out of state is when buying new. Most of the dealers around here act like we're lucky that they don't charge us just for the privilege of walking on their lot! I bought my 04 Z06 new in NC last summer after trying to get dealers in this area to meet or beat the deal I had been offered in NC. Nobody would do it, so off to NC I went and I am glad I did. All things considered I still came out money ahead, plane ticket and all...plus I had myself one heck of a road trip driving my baby home!

I must admit that I get tired of having to pay a premium for big ticket items just because I live in California. I like most everything else out here...but the cost of living does give one pause...
Old 11-17-2005, 05:41 AM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

so goes the free enterprise system; any item is only worth what someone will pay for it. obviously in some parts of the country, particularly those with nicer weather year round or higher per capita incomes, the market bears higher prices.

certainly checking forums & discussing with others is a good thing; however, arguing with members & making a simple car purchase so complicated is a different issue. bub
Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

As mentioned, whatever the market will bear. I looked around for a couple of months around Reno and N. California. Nothing in my price range. I considered a few on the forum. NIce thing about the forum cars is the members who have been around awhile IMO are more likely to sell a decently maintained car. I wouldn't buy a use car at a lot unless I knew some history on the car, which is unlikely at a lot. I found one on Ebay in Houston, Texas. I bought my '98 Pewter Convertible Blk/Blk with a 6 spd for $18K. After some discussions and history searches I went for it. There are deals to be had, and compromises to be made. My brother is even a used car dealer/wholesaler in So. Cal. He couldn't find a car in So. Cal for a decent wholesale price. You might have to look elsewhere and do a little travelling.

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 11-17-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:22 AM
scottydog
Pro

Remember there is a significant extra "smog abatement" tax on out of state cars being registered in California, so maybe you just find one in state. I have a great broker that could find you one. He's out of Mill Valley.

Get notified of new replies

To California Corvette prices are RIDICULOUS.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
TheLaserShop
Racer

Originally Posted by Dark-Knight
Everything is pricey in Arnoldland.
Arnold had nothing to do with creating it, he just inherited it. But I truly believe he is trying to fix it. He has really nothing to gain for himself but frustration. We get sick of "the market will bear" term. The overwhelming majority of us are just forced to pay. I have gathered though that anywhere you go the general consensus is that if you own a Corvette you must be rich or something. I think that majority (Vette' owner) is like me also. You just have to wait to afford the mods after the payments. On the flip side, all the complaints go out the window when you open the garage.... and there it sits.... a Corvette. Best money I ever spent.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:14 PM
THXBABY
Racer

Cruise-In II Veteran

llyaFromTheBay

You got a PM.

Jim
Old 11-17-2005, 03:22 PM
2ndVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Barely Legal
What we were doing in the east was enjoying a 79 degree day today and 82 yesterday. Out streets are a heck of a lot smoother here, but they could sweep them a little better/more often.
I enjoy owning a home that would not fit on 5 lots out there or could not be had for under 2 mil.
To the guy that bought my house in CA, thank you for accepting the huge price tag. I guess he "had to have it now." I love being able to retire at 35 if I so desired.
we will ask you for your feelings on the same topic in one month....

Quick Reply: California Corvette prices are RIDICULOUS.