Sponsored by:

[Z06] Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 12:05 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Problems

My transmission has developed some strange habits. It started by popping out of 3rd when not under a load (not accelerating or decelerating), but doing so intermittently. Then, at Pocono, I could not downshift into 3rd (when I really needed to). Then at E-town the shift lever (Hearst billet) locked-up. I couldn't get into any gear. It locked again in 4th while on a Sunday drive, no stress. After all 3 of these incidents (weeks apart) the transmission returned to normal after shutting down and restarting. Any ideas???
Old 10-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

There are many threads on tranny woes in the Z06 archive here. Searching and reading will be the best way to ride the learning curve.

Most of the guys in our club who drive their Z06s hard have had trannies rebuilt or replaced under warranty. Bent shift forks or faulty synchronizers are the most common issues. But those normally have highly repeatable symptoms. You say yours are not.

In that regard, I might add that (1) an overheated clutch from launches and repeated fast shifts can fail to properly release and thus cause a shift to be missed...sometimes read as a shift refusal; and (2) a shifter popping out of gear is sometimes caused by a failure to fully seat the shifter "all the way in" that gear.

I mention those considerations as a possible explanation of very occasional tranny symptoms.

Just some thought to get you started.

Ranger
Old 10-25-2005, 06:34 AM
Pureenergy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your warranty is still on the car ,don't hesitate to get your car looked at...
If it is past warranty ,go to a tranny rebuilder in your area you can trust!I know that GM ,only does the minimum to fix the tranny,and often the problems come back,afterward.Often by that time your warranty is up and your $$$$out of pocket

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting Problems

Quick Reply: [Z06] Shifting Problems