Sponsored by:

[Z06] Looking To Buy A Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Jorje-Z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donv
I have never done the CAGS defeat. I can't figure out why anyone would shift at low enough RPM that the car would go to fourth automatically--with one exception. Ocassionally, I get behind someone turning very slowly after a complete stop at a red light and shift too soon uncounsciously. Another thing I would not to is get a short shifter. I'll never figure that one out. Maybe I can just shift faster than most mortals. I do crank the handle when I shft. The bad about short shifters is that they tend to rattle unless great skill is applying when installing. They do "click" into gear nicely though.

ok so it shifts automaticlly into 4th when ur in too low of rpms in 1st??, how low are we talking tho?? makes sense now cause i was wondering how it would work if it shifted into 4th when ur too high rpms in 1st, than u couldnt go to the 1/4 mile. so il be sure to order the CAG if that happens and il be ordering the steering column bypass the day i get the Z. thanks for the info so far guys, im astounded (sp?) by the quick replies and friendly people on this forum.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think if you're moving along, around 2200(above that it'll go past it) it'll kick in. It only does it after the car is warm, of course when you least expect it. It did it to me today in traffic on the way to work. I can NOT wait for it to be disabled.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Znod
Racer

Originally Posted by Jorje-Z06
ok so it shifts automaticlly into 4th when ur in too low of rpms in 1st??, how low are we talking tho?? makes sense now cause i was wondering how it would work if it shifted into 4th when ur too high rpms in 1st, than u couldnt go to the 1/4 mile. so il be sure to order the CAG if that happens and il be ordering the steering column bypass the day i get the Z. thanks for the info so far guys, im astounded (sp?) by the quick replies and friendly people on this forum.
The car you buy is likely to have had the steering column recall applied--in which case there is no need to do the column bypass. If your car has not had the recall applied, then I'd do it rather than the bypass.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Jorje-Z06
Intermediate

The car you buy is likely to have had the steering column recall applied--in which case there is no need to do the column bypass. If your car has not had the recall applied, then I'd do it rather than the bypass.
ok il make sure i ask the seller if it did have the recall applied.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Jorje-Z06
Intermediate

heres what im looking at right now, theres a black one there 2002 with 49K for $48.9 but than theres a yellow one 2002 with 17K for $43.5... i would really want to get black tho, but 30K more and $5.5K more? i dont know if its worth it...

http://www.trader.ca/search/Results....ategory=&CAT=1
Old 10-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Znod
Racer

heres what im looking at right now, theres a black one there 2002 with 49K for $48.9 but than theres a yellow one 2002 with 17K for $43.5... i would really want to get black tho, but 30K more and $5.5K more? i dont know if its worth it...

I would look much farther. You should not have to pay more than, say, $32K to $38K for a low mileage 02-04--low mileage being less than 15K--maybe 20K. There still are many 02-04's out there with less than 15K. My 02 has less than 10K. It's black too and perfect. How much do you want to pay for it? Only exhorbitant offers considered. ~{;^)

Last edited by donv; 10-19-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:38 PM
Jorje-Z06
Intermediate

I would look much farther. You should not have to pay more than, say, $32K to $38K for a low mileage 02-04--low mileage being less than 15K--maybe 20K. There still are many 02-04's out there with less than 15K. My 02 has less than 10K.

oh ok, just a FYI the prices are in canadian.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Znod
Racer

oh ok, just a FYI the prices are in canadian.
My bad. I should have noticed. What is the current exchange rate?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Jorje-Z06
Intermediate

right now its 1.177
Old 10-20-2005, 11:25 AM
RWspinning
Instructor

Hey jorge watch out for the yellow and black one.If im not mistaken they are for sale by the same dealership so that might indicate that it was a DEMO car or it was in a ACCIDENT. So check it out but I would definatly get the MY before the black one . Also if you are willing to hold out a lil more prices will drop around late november early december because no one will be selling cars at all practly so dealerships will be letting them go for much cheaper. FYI I'm also from the Toronto area
Old 10-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Znod
Racer

right now its 1.177
Are the two you are looking at priced typically in Canada? The prices seems high given the exchange rate. I am not sure which color I would get. Yellow is tough to deal with if you have to have repainting done--i.e., the fix may not look the same in all light. And, black, well, you know, it is a bear to keep clean/looking good. Yellow is much easier to keep looking clean, etc.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:20 PM
KurtinKC
Instructor

I don't think you should pay over $37K CA. Your sports car season is about over weather-wise, so someone should be willing to deal and $37K should be doable.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Jorje-Z06
Intermediate

hi again guys, hey RW, thanks for the tip i honestly didnt realize they were from the same dealership, i dont mind waitin for a month or two for the prices to go down, however i dont think iv ever seen a 2002+ Z06 go for $37K or lower. the cheapest iv seen is low $40's. i dont mind spending that as this car is definetly worth the money, especially when u compare it to all the other cars at the same price range. As of right now if i find the right car (low kms + good price tag) i dont mind any colour except the silver. hehe
Old 10-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Jorje-Z06
Intermediate

Are the two you are looking at priced typically in Canada? The prices seems high given the exchange rate. I am not sure which color I would get. Yellow is tough to deal with if you have to have repainting done--i.e., the fix may not look the same in all light. And, black, well, you know, it is a bear to keep clean/looking good. Yellow is much easier to keep looking clean, etc.

they are one of the cheapest on autotrader right now.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Znod
Racer

they are one of the cheapest on autotrader right now.
If I ever decide to sell mine, I think I advertise it only in Canada. Would an individual US seller somehow have to pay Canadian sales taxes?

Last edited by donv; 10-20-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Jorje-Z06
Intermediate

If I ever decide to see mine, I think I advertise it only in Canada. Would an individual US seller somehow have to pay Canadian sales taxes?
hmm i really have no idea, probably because for us canadians when we buy cars in the US we have to pay US sales tax. im not too sure tho.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:29 AM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by allaboutdaz
get any of them 01-04 just try to get the best deal
i got an 01Z for a great deal and i have no problems at all
ditto-here is my 01-its been great
http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data...ls9wc-med.jpeg
and on the street,stock for stock-there is no big deal dif..a good set of rear tires makes any yr stock pretty equal..
have fun and get the car/color and mods ya want

Get notified of new replies

To Looking To Buy A Z06...

Old 11-19-2005, 08:27 PM
e-hodges
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

I have never done the CAGS defeat. I can't figure out why anyone would shift at low enough RPM that the car would go to fourth automatically--with one exception. Ocassionally, I get behind someone turning very slowly after a complete stop at a red light and shift too soon unconsciously. But, no matter, let it go to fouth and then shift it where ever wanted. Another thing I would not do is get a short shifter. I'll never figure that one out. Maybe I can just shift faster than most mortals. I do crank the handle when I shft. The bad about short shifters is that they tend to rattle unless great skill is applied when installing. They do "click" into gear nicely though. A dyno tune is a good idea, but do it after adding the mods you are going to add.
Installed a CAG eliminator this morning, it works great!!
The light doesnt come on, like it was never there.
Bought it off ebay for 10.00 delivered
Old 12-01-2005, 03:16 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hmm i really have no idea, probably because for us canadians when we buy cars in the US we have to pay US sales tax. im not too sure tho.
In South Carolina you pay your sales tax when you register the car and get your tags. The great thing about South Carolina is they cap the sales tax on new and used cars at $300.

So if I do go ahead and get my Z06 I'll pay $300 sales tax at the Department of Motor Vehicles and about another 100 for the tags and other gotcha things. Still a great deal for a $73k car.

You would not pay sales tax on a vehicle bought in SC to a dealer or a private sale. But I imagine you have to pay duty tax or import tax to get it into the country and get Canadian tags but I'm just guessing about the latter.

Definitely defeat the CAG. It's a real pain.

I disagree about the year and mileage. I would buy the best car with the least miles and the latest year. An 04 with 30k is worth more than an 02 with 10k IMO all else being equal. Cars do depreciate every year and I won't pay too high a premium for the lower miles although that and the overall car will drive the price up for me and certainly the seller.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

2003 is the 50th anniversary year, you get the 50th BADGES!...lol

On the cags defeat, the bypass which is nothing more than a 50 cent resistor to emulate the soleniod coil resistance, works great, but the light still comes on. The cags only works after the car has warmed up to 160 degrees I think, and when it is taken out by tuning, that temp setpoint is raised to 250, a temp your motor should never get too. I have mine tuned out only because I got the tuning done, but I had the defeat before and it worked fine. The cheap route is to buy a resistor (2200 ohm) at Radio Shack and plug it in and tape it up. The one you buy for $10 or so is much nicer and cleaner though.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Looking To Buy A Z06...