Parking Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Adjustment

Hey Folks,

Had the dealer (Maher Chevy, St. Pete FL) do a brake inspection while it was in for column lock fix. Brakes checked out OK (I've got 58k on my 99 coupe 6 spd). Had them flush and replace brake fluid, power steering fluid, and adjust the parking brake. The parking brake was pretty poor so I thought it would be worth the $20 added to the brake inspection for the adjustment. I've read the brake adjustment is no fun to do yourself.

The brake adjustment seems to have come out kind of odd. It definitely has inproved the braking effect for a backwards roll of the car, but the brake has almost no effect on a forward roll. Is this typical? Is the brake more-or-less configured to act as a stop against a backward roll? Should I take the car back to the dealer to get this checked out? It really has me baffled.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:47 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

In order to properly adjust the parking brake on a C5 with some mileage,it is required to grind the lip off the rotor to properly remove and reinstall the rear rotor to obtain proper parking brake lining to rotor surface clearance If this is done the parking brake will work like new If it is not done,you cant possibly obtain proper lining to rotor clearance
Old 10-12-2005, 09:50 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by C-5 TECH
In order to properly adjust the parking brake on a C5 with some mileage,it is required to grind the lip off the rotor to properly remove and reinstall the rear rotor to obtain proper parking brake lining to rotor surface clearance If this is done the parking brake will work like new If it is not done,you cant possibly obtain proper lining to rotor clearance
Exactly

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Brake Adjustment

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Adjustment