Sponsored by:

[Z06] Clutch acting funny when cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:11 PM
IsItFast
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch acting funny when cold

So it has gotten colder here this last week (60's during the day, 40's at night) and my clutch has been acting really odd. It has been spongey at the top and grabs right at the bottom. This makes it hard to get into gear when stopped. Usually a few pumps gets it working but the process repeats until the car gets warmed up (about 5-10 minutes of driving).

This happened last spring and I just added a little fluid and the problem never came back. This time I added just a drop since it didn't appear low but the fluid is quite dark. The problem persists. The car does have 42K on it so looking for a fix. Since the fluid is so dark I am assuming I should at least change it. Is there a "how to" online somewhere? What else should I look for? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:44 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should use a small turkey baster or equiv. to suck out the fluid in the reservoir .. and replace with DOT 4 like Vavoline Synthetic. I recommend doing this every oil change ... cheap and easy way to keep the gunk from building in the system. Since you have waited so long I would do it every week or two for a few months.

Be careful to keep the brake fluid off any parts where it does not belong - very bad stuff on paint etc.

Les

Originally Posted by IsItFast
So it has gotten colder here this last week (60's during the day, 40's at night) and my clutch has been acting really odd. It has been spongey at the top and grabs right at the bottom. This makes it hard to get into gear when stopped. Usually a few pumps gets it working but the process repeats until the car gets warmed up (about 5-10 minutes of driving).

This happened last spring and I just added a little fluid and the problem never came back. This time I added just a drop since it didn't appear low but the fluid is quite dark. The problem persists. The car does have 42K on it so looking for a fix. Since the fluid is so dark I am assuming I should at least change it. Is there a "how to" online somewhere? What else should I look for? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Good advice from Les.

Also might want to read this thread. Swapping clutch Fluid

A syringe works better than a turkey baster.

Ranger
Old 10-10-2005, 03:16 AM
IsItFast
Instructor

Thanks all...I will give this a try.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:45 AM
IsItFast
Instructor

Well, I have got the fluid to be clear again after several clean outs but the problem still persists. I did notice a small puddle under the car of this stuff but it may just be from an overfill I did the first time. Other suggestions?

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch acting funny when cold

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch acting funny when cold