Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! im all jacked up and no idea on which way to with the oil pan drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Freestyler
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! im all jacked up and no idea on which way to with the oil pan drain plug

Last edited by Freestyler; 10-13-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As your looking at it from the front it should be counterclockwise.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Blindfingers
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

counterclockwise as you look directly at the plug.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:17 PM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 551 Likes on 208 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by G-Loc
As your looking at it from the front it should be counterclockwise.
Standard thread direction...."Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty"
Old 10-08-2005, 06:28 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Freestyler,

You started so well with spanner.

Then you lost it:
axel (axle)
counter clockwise (anti clockwise)
and then back to wrench

Old 10-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Freestyler,

You started so well with spanner.

Then you lost it:
axel (axle)
counter clockwise (anti clockwise)
and then back to wrench

An "axel" is a figure skating move.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:30 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Put the wrench on the plug so it (the wrench) is vertical (up and down). "Tap" it on the passenger side so you're trying to move it (the bottom of the wrench) towards the drivers side.

When you put it back on just make it snug with the wrench, don't try to force it any tighter than that.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:42 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

If you're laying on your back, using your right hand, under the car (behind the driver side wheel), you will pull the wrench towards you.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:41 PM
1993_FD3s
Heel & Toe

put the wrench down and step away from the car. if you need to post which was to turn a fastener to remove it go practice on you lawn mower or your bike first.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:52 PM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Dude it's cool that you want to work on your Vette but when you have nearly ZERO knowledge of mechanical things and, you are working on a $40,000 automobile.... Then you need to leave it to the professionals...

I will give you credit for trying, but you need to know your limits...

No, I'm not trying to be a jerk so please don't take it that way...You or anyone else...

This is one of those times to get a buddy that has a few wrenches to help the first few times...

Good luck!!
Old 10-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Poptops
Burning Brakes

So did you get the oil filter off? Did you have a filter wrench? Good luck!
Old 10-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Zeek
CF Superior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07, '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20,'21-'22-'23-'24
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II

Originally Posted by VRROOOM2
Dude it's cool that you want to work on your Vette but when you have nearly ZERO knowledge of mechanical things and, you are working on a $40,000 automobile.... Then you need to leave it to the professionals...

No, I'm not trying to be a jerk so please don't take it that way...You or anyone else...

This is one of those times to get a buddy that has a few wrenches to help the first few times...

Good luck!!
Man If you dont know the simple "lefty loosey, righty tighty" your in over your head.......
Old 10-08-2005, 10:18 PM
RandyVettes
Life's Short. Drive Hard.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'09

Originally Posted by QikStik
Standard thread direction...."Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty"
Old 10-08-2005, 10:20 PM
im20agn
Intermediate

Default Go to Jiffy Lube

Originally Posted by VRROOOM2

Good luck!!
If you have to ask which way to turn the screw, you might want to have it done

(RH Threads) tighten, clockwise; loosen, counterclockwise
The oil pan screw is a RH thread (RH stands for right hand) so that means when your facing the screw you turn it right to tighten it
Old 10-08-2005, 10:26 PM
lickitydoo
Pro

Old 10-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Steve's98
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that you should not be doing this. Its great that you want to learn how to do this, but not on a Corvette. Next time ask before it is on jacks. Make sure you dont over tighten the screw becasue you could strip it.

Steve
Old 10-09-2005, 01:39 AM
terlox
Racer

I'm more worried about how he got the car up on jacks - vettes are somewhat difficult to lift without bending/breaking anything. The drain plug should be simple.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! im all jacked up and no idea on which way to with the oil pan drain plug

Old 10-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Freestyler
Melting Slicks

Thanks to the esteemed veterans of the forum for the quick reply's.
(QikStik, DeeGee - that was funny! lol, GLOC, blindfingers, Markcz..)

as to the other negative posters all i can really say is ....

- im sorta facing it, and am thinking counter clockwise but
you american's .... (no offense) could have a clever'er idea about thread on a drain plug
So, its much easier to simply ask for advise before ATTEMPING to loosen it

You will also see that I my belief is correct (counter clockwise)

And you should have picked up that I am not from 'this country' ... this doesnt mean that im an idiot, i can turn a nut on anything nearby (corvette or otherwise, of course they loosen to counterclockwise) , but given its importance, and the role it plays in keeping your vehicle running!!, i didnt think it imprudent to confirm the direction ..
(search reverse thread on google youll get over 300,000 hits, clearly there are some SPECIALIZED applications , hey look bicycle's are in that group, didnt someone say something about bikes?!)

The Really Stupid thing to do would have been to simply charge on and force it in one direction (possibly with dire consequences)

advising me to 'step away from the car' . .. .. thats annoying

i do see i titled the thread 'i have no idea' ... this was perhaps skewed titling to garner quick responses (which thankfully, i received)

returning to the detractors:
I can happily admit that havent logged hundreds of hours under a car, but I have done oil changes (on other cars), pulled out dashboards installed new heater cores, stereo systems (and oil filters lol) and trivial stuff like that

In my defense (tho it shouldnt be needed), i havent owned a car for 5 years. Living in London you take the tube EVERYWHERE (sorry , SUBWAY) ... so what? im a bit rusty. big deal. I Asked... i am happy to ask rather than pay later.

I am a systems engineer, and earn a decent living fixing network and systems problems because 'users' thought AFTER ACTING

User: "my computer wont start"
Me: do anything different on the machine lately?
"Oh, i didnt know what those files were in the 'windows' folder, i dont use them, ... so i , err, deleted them"
Me: actually they do have a use, the operating system requires them to start the pc up, thats what displays the desktop you see normally..
User: (it got worse) 'oh right, i know that, thats why i just deleted the files that didnt have an 'icon' associated with them....

or the guy that says "im a computer person, i earn a living just like you , hey i want to buy a new computer, and i have a router already installed, what do i do to the firewall on the router, how do i program it to block spam and virus's"

"or the USER who asks 'hey how do install a driver' "

I dont tell them 'back away from the computer you fcking idiot' i just fix it for them and come ALONG SIDE them work WITH them to get it resolved, so they come out with a greater appreciation for the machine...

Last edited by Freestyler; 10-09-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:43 AM
VetteramI
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Freestyler
Thanks to the esteemed veterans of the forum for the quick reply's.

DeeGee - that was funny! lol

as to the other negative posters all i can really say is ....

So, its much easier to simply ask for advise before ATTEMPING to loosen it

You will also see that I my belief is correct (counter clockwise)

And you should have picked up that I am not from 'this country' ... this doesnt mean that im an idiot, i can turn a nut on anything nearby (corvette or otherwise, of course they loosen to counterclockwise) , but given its importance, and the role it plays in keeping your vehicle running!!, i didnt think it imprudent to confirm the direction ..
(search reverse thread on google youll get over 300,000 hits, clearly there are some SPECIALIZED applications , hey look bicycle's are in that group, didnt someone say something about bikes?!)

really stupid thing to do would have been to simply charge on and force it in one direction (possibly with dire consequences)

advising me to 'step away from the car' . .. .. thats annoying

I can happily admit that havent logged hundreds of hours under a car, but I have done oil changes (on other cars), pulled out dashboards installed new heater cores, stereo systems (and oil filters lol) and trivial stuff like that

In my defense (tho it shouldnt be needed), i havent owned a car for 5 years. Living in London you take the tube EVERYWHERE (sorry , SUBWAY) ... so what? im a bit rusty. big deal. I Asked... i am happy to ask rather than pay later.

I am a systems engineer, and earn a decent living fixing network and systems problems because 'users' thought AFTER ACTING

User: "my computer wont start"
Me: do anything different on the machine lately?
"Oh, i didnt know what those files were in the 'windows' folder, i dont use them, ... so i , err, deleted them"
Me: actually they do have a use, the operating system requires them to start the pc up, thats what displays the desktop you see normally..
User: (it got worse) 'oh right, i know that, thats why i just deleted the files that didnt have an 'icon' associated with them....

or the guy that says "im a computer person, i earn a living just like you , hey i want to buy a new computer, and i have a router already installed, what do i do to the firewall on the router, how do i program it to block spam and virus's"

"or the USER who asks 'hey how do install a driver' "

I dont tell them 'back away from the computer you fcking idiot' i just fix it for them and come ALONG SIDE them work WITH them to get it resolved, so they come out with a greater appreciation for the machine...
That just about sums life in the twenty-first century. drain plugs to computers. Who would of thought.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Freestyler
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetteramI
That just about sums life in the twenty-first century. drain plugs to computers. Who would of thought.

lol

yeah, there is a philosophical discussion there...

a dozen years ago or so, a senior manager at Intel Computer corp famously said (something like)

"in 10 years, companies will have two employees and a computer.

the first employee will be a man and the second will be a dog...

and it will be the dog's job to make sure the man doesnt touch the computer"

Quick Reply: Help! im all jacked up and no idea on which way to with the oil pan drain plug