Sponsored by:

Help! im all jacked up and no idea on which way to with the oil pan drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freestyler
Thanks to the esteemed veterans of the forum for the quick reply's.
(QikStik, DeeGee - that was funny! lol, GLOC, blindfingers, Markcz..)

as to the other negative posters all i can really say is ....

So, its much easier to simply ask for advise before ATTEMPING to loosen it

You will also see that I my belief is correct (counter clockwise)

And you should have picked up that I am not from 'this country' ... this doesnt mean that im an idiot, i can turn a nut on anything nearby (corvette or otherwise, of course they loosen to counterclockwise) , but given its importance, and the role it plays in keeping your vehicle running!!, i didnt think it imprudent to confirm the direction ..
(search reverse thread on google youll get over 300,000 hits, clearly there are some SPECIALIZED applications , hey look bicycle's are in that group, didnt someone say something about bikes?!)

The Really Stupid thing to do would have been to simply charge on and force it in one direction (possibly with dire consequences)

advising me to 'step away from the car' . .. .. thats annoying

i do see i titled the thread 'i have no idea' ... this was perhaps skewed titling to garner quick responses (which thankfully, i received)

returning to the detractors:
I can happily admit that havent logged hundreds of hours under a car, but I have done oil changes (on other cars), pulled out dashboards installed new heater cores, stereo systems (and oil filters lol) and trivial stuff like that

In my defense (tho it shouldnt be needed), i havent owned a car for 5 years. Living in London you take the tube EVERYWHERE (sorry , SUBWAY) ... so what? im a bit rusty. big deal. I Asked... i am happy to ask rather than pay later.

I am a systems engineer, and earn a decent living fixing network and systems problems because 'users' thought AFTER ACTING

User: "my computer wont start"
Me: do anything different on the machine lately?
"Oh, i didnt know what those files were in the 'windows' folder, i dont use them, ... so i , err, deleted them"
Me: actually they do have a use, the operating system requires them to start the pc up, thats what displays the desktop you see normally..
User: (it got worse) 'oh right, i know that, thats why i just deleted the files that didnt have an 'icon' associated with them....

or the guy that says "im a computer person, i earn a living just like you , hey i want to buy a new computer, and i have a router already installed, what do i do to the firewall on the router, how do i program it to block spam and virus's"

"or the USER who asks 'hey how do install a driver' "

I dont tell them 'back away from the computer you fcking idiot' i just fix it for them and come ALONG SIDE them work WITH them to get it resolved, so they come out with a greater appreciation for the machine...
How do you equate people not understanding a computer to lefty loosey, righty tighty? Not quite quite the same. I'm not a plumber but I know that the cold water is on the right.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:59 AM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

This thread will be closed if it gets ugly.. which it might but...

In 25 some plus years of working with computers and such.. I've always been smart enough to call in the professionals when I needed to do something over my head... and that has ranged from a $250,000 machining center to a $500 computer...

I've never dumped a windows file that was needed, changed a parameter that I shouldn't have or whatever... However, I've done some stupid stuff on cars that I had to do again and again... I used to say that on my first truck I owned, I fixed EVERYTHING two or three times...

Freestyler... It was how you asked the question that scared so many of us to say back away... You didn't say you were an "expert that needed a little simple advice..." Forgive us for thinking you were an idi...

Oh I better stop....

Happy Sunday...
Old 10-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I don't blame him for asking, they do drive down the wrong side of the street over there so maybe the turn wrenches the wrong way as well sometimes.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:30 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm glad everything worked out for you
Old 10-09-2005, 07:27 PM
bennettrp
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14,'19-'20-'21-'22

We all have a lot of dumb questions, some of which become pretty intelligent ones. And Lordy, I remember when I first started tinkering.

But you folks from the UK drive on the wrong side of the road, and drive from the wrong side of the car. I still cann't figure out how you do that.

You can still get great advice on this forum.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:50 PM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by QikStik
Standard thread direction...."Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty"
American Standard
Old 10-10-2005, 12:14 AM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

So did you get the plug out of the oil pan?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Mpwr
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 AM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

If your facing the head of the oil plug then turn it counterclockwise. Good luck man.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:17 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by bennettrp
We all have a lot of dumb questions, some of which become pretty intelligent ones. And Lordy, I remember when I first started tinkering.

But you folks from the UK drive on the wrong side of the road, and drive from the wrong side of the car. I still cann't figure out how you do that.

You can still get great advice on this forum.

Lets all remember there are no dumb questions

Oh and by the way, I used to drive my left hand drive Camaro in UK. Now thats a real challenge.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:15 AM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps its not so dumb. I once answered a question on C4 tech, how to remove the power steering fluid cap....?

Guess what - it's a left hand thread, and nobody seemed to know why.

Can happen.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Freestyler
Melting Slicks

cbx1047cc

it was an analytical comparison - i was bummed to be catching flack from the johnnycomelatelybrigade not so much for being a complete novice (as i have stated, i havent logged hundreds of hours under a car) , but to say , 'if you dont know which way to turn the bolt, you dont deserve to be under there, you are your own worst enemy, ' rankled me

the inferrence was that i was asking AFTER , i wasnt, i was doublechecking BEFORE i began

and similarly, wanted to illustrate that i dont belittle or berate computer users non technical - when they come to me with issues

vvrooom2 Cheers fella, im over it, and i still dont see now double checking about a direction on a thread (just to be safe) means i am over my head.

I dont pretend to think having changed oil means i can swap out cams, nor do i think wanting to ask for clarification makes me in need of professionals in this instance.... FOR a Drain Plug call.

'how i asked the question' -- yeah, like i said, i suppose i worded the thread somewhat badly

'expert that needed simple advise' - lol, lets make it clear
I AM NO CAR Expert, - but if i was, then i suppose i wouldnt need simple advise now would I?

StephenT -thanks!
lol - you would be surprised at how many things are different to you americans... (lol) ... for starters,(in Australia) the water in the toilet circles in the opposite direction when flushing..... , the date oct 9th 2005 is not 10/9/2005 but 9/10/2005, ...

Markcz - Cheers fella appreciate it

Bennettrp
right - ! cheers for that, i agree this forum is the best,i love it because its a largely positive place to hang out And invaluable ... and it may well have been (to some) a dumb question, but im glad i asked - before putting spanner to plug
- i guess thats my bone of contention, there isnt a need to chastise people for asking questions that seem 'stupid' to more experienced people (as I tried to show, i come against messups all the time from computer users..) - just come along side, as the vetterans did in the first hour of the thread, help .. and everyone can move on, progress and grow

mvvette97 - cheers fella

DeeGee - thanks mate , and a camaro in the UK, now that would have been awesome! and unique!

BritVette - Thank You!!
there are all sorts of reverse thread applications (like i mentioned google reverse thread -over 300,000 hits)
in most cases if you twist the head off because you 'got it wrong' you can drill it out, use a tap and create a new thread in a larger diameter

... on an oil pan, im thinking this is not an application to get wrong in the first place

Peace Everyone, with thanks

FreeStyler

Last edited by Freestyler; 10-10-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:18 PM
jackj
Drifting

aaaaaaaaaaaaa if you want some advise on this........I think you should let Mr. Goodwich solve your problem.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,406 Likes on 14,032 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Blindfingers
counterclockwise as you look directly at the plug.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by QikStik
Standard thread direction...."Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty"
Old 10-13-2005, 04:10 PM
1993_FD3s
Heel & Toe

as to the other negative posters all i can really say is ....

So, its much easier to simply ask for advise before ATTEMPING to loosen it

You will also see that I my belief is correct (counter clockwise)

And you should have picked up that I am not from 'this country' ... this doesnt mean that im an idiot, i can turn a nut on anything nearby (corvette or otherwise, of course they loosen to counterclockwise) , but given its importance, and the role it plays in keeping your vehicle running!!, i didnt think it imprudent to confirm the direction ..
(search reverse thread on google youll get over 300,000 hits, clearly there are some SPECIALIZED applications , hey look bicycle's are in that group, didnt someone say something about bikes?!)

The Really Stupid thing to do would have been to simply charge on and force it in one direction (possibly with dire consequences)

advising me to 'step away from the car' . .. .. thats annoying

i do see i titled the thread 'i have no idea' ... this was perhaps skewed titling to garner quick responses (which thankfully, i received)

returning to the detractors:
I can happily admit that havent logged hundreds of hours under a car, but I have done oil changes (on other cars), pulled out dashboards installed new heater cores, stereo systems (and oil filters lol) and trivial stuff like that

In my defense (tho it shouldnt be needed), i havent owned a car for 5 years. Living in London you take the tube EVERYWHERE (sorry , SUBWAY) ... so what? im a bit rusty. big deal. I Asked... i am happy to ask rather than pay later.

I am a systems engineer, and earn a decent living fixing network and systems problems because 'users' thought AFTER ACTING

User: "my computer wont start"
Me: do anything different on the machine lately?
"Oh, i didnt know what those files were in the 'windows' folder, i dont use them, ... so i , err, deleted them"
Me: actually they do have a use, the operating system requires them to start the pc up, thats what displays the desktop you see normally..
User: (it got worse) 'oh right, i know that, thats why i just deleted the files that didnt have an 'icon' associated with them....

or the guy that says "im a computer person, i earn a living just like you , hey i want to buy a new computer, and i have a router already installed, what do i do to the firewall on the router, how do i program it to block spam and virus's"

"or the USER who asks 'hey how do install a driver' "

I dont tell them 'back away from the computer you fcking idiot' i just fix it for them and come ALONG SIDE them work WITH them to get it resolved, so they come out with a greater appreciation for the machine...
ok you are a "tech" guy. someone asks you why their usb cable for their camera wont fit into the serial port on their printer so they can print dot matrix pictures.

this is how off asking how to get the drain plug is. something you should have learned on your first bike as a kid. if you dont knowhow, yes that is ok, but maybe you should be trying some **** out on something other than your car. or get an assistant, or pay someone with your "decent" living you make, or do a search for it.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Freestyler
Melting Slicks

something you should have learned on your first bike as a kid. if you dont knowhow, yes that is ok, but maybe you should be trying some **** out on something other than your car. or get an assistant, or pay someone with your "decent" living you make, or do a search for it
here we go again.

my point wasnt to brag about earning power but to say
rather than being obnoxious and arrogant why not just help and then move on>?

something you should have learned on your first bike as a kid
hey what part of bicycle crank has a reverse thread and 'just wanted to check incase there is a similarly 'clever' idea with regards to a plug' didnt you get?

im not even bothered with the first quote, it only re-enforces my point -- why be so fcjkin arrogant when someone asks for help? if you had asked me about that cable, i would have just helped. not tried to rub your face in ... agian and again and again as you seem intent upon doing
Old 10-13-2005, 05:52 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That goodness he doesn't work on computer hard drives, in data recovery? Let see, does the drive turn this way or that way?

Quick Reply: Help! im all jacked up and no idea on which way to with the oil pan drain plug