Sponsored by:

[Z06] Review: Z51 C6 vs. Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Review: Z51 C6 vs. Z06

I have had my Z51 M6 C6 for 4200 miles and I still have my '02 Z06 to compare it to (had a 2000 M6 Coupe before Z06). Thought it might be of service to anyone still wondering.

Performance:

For acceleration The Z51 C6 feels no slower in a straight line than the Z06 does, and my Z06 was no slouch: 355RWHP bone stock and it rides on Nitto R2s. Power delivery is different: the C6 has more torque, while the Z is the top-ender. Frankly, the C6 feels a bit weak above 6K compared to the Z and could probably benefit from better flow. I like the LS2 sound better - less raspy and more NASCAR. Overall, this is a dead heat.

In corners , the Z51 is very impressive...not quite the Z06 because mine has the Nittos, but it would be very close to a Z06 with F1s. Again, though, the feel is different: the EMT tires always have a "groove" feeling at the limit...you get the feeling they will corner to a hard limit, then let go. The Nittos and regular F1's feel like they give up grip more progressively, and they are definitely more compliant. That said, the new EMT is a tremendous improvement over the F1 GS. The C6 feels better balanced, probably because it is. Advantage Z06 on a racetrack, but not by much.

braking Z06 wins this, hands down, despite the bigger Z51 rotors. It's the grippier tires, I think. C6 braking much better than C5 Coupe braking.

Comfort/Interior/Daily driving

The C6 is a home run here...clear outta the park. The seats are wonderful, the lights are incredible, the cupholders finally work, and it is quiet and civilized when it needs to be. And FINALLY, I have my precious removable roof back. I did 1100 miles in one day with the car when I first got it and I could have gone further...I'm 42. The car is THAT good on long distances and as a road car. Did I mention the XM totally rocks (although it is not perfect... it DOES cut out here and there). And the runflats are nice to have for long trips.

Now for the BAD :

Structure:

I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that the car feels flexy, especially with the roof out. Maybe it's the rigid Z06, but I was surely not expecting this. It feels even flexier than I remember my 2000 Coupe being. Oddly, I feel this not in the windshield area, but in the rear of the car.

To make matters worse, the interior creaks more than either of my C5's did. The center console creaks constantly in curves, the driver door buzzes on anything rougher than new asphalt, and the roof creaks when stowed in the back. We have not regressed to C4 stuff, but the C5 was definitely better.

The HUD sucks compared to the C5. Sure, the G-meter is cute and the round tach thing is cool, but the new unit is harder to read, not as bright, and the image distorts badly if you move your head.

...and the UGLY

The electronics. What were these idiots thinking? The push button start is OK, but the electronic door handles and the radio/HVAC electronics have a mind of their own. Sometimes the door unlocks automatically when I approach, sometimes I have to take out the key fob. It insists on locking the door, even if you de-select that option. It systematically refused to let my wife out the passenger side without multiple button pushing...she would up just opening with the emergency handle. The car sometimes beeps the horn three times when you close the door...why, nobody knows. Sure is embarrasing when you are still in the car in front of the restaurant and everyone is staring at you. Sometimes when you turn it off (shift into reverse and all that), the fog lamps come on and stay on until they are manually turned off - I suspect that may be the DBS cause. Sometimes the DRL's are on, sometimes not. Several times, the HVAC screen was totally blank and the AC wouldn't come on...this, after the AC TSB was done.

Add a second key fob (as in your wife carries #2 for backup on a long trip) and the car goes downright berzerk. I had to have her run away from the car before closing the door so it would not wig out. But THE spookiest tidbit by far is the fact that I can start the car in the garage when both key fobs are in the kitchen...

The only saving grace is no fuel problems and no dead battery thus far.

Conclusion

Despite all this, I love the car and I am glad I got it. Performance-wise - the part I feared most because I promised my wife we would keep only one Corvette - it has been a hugely pleasnt surprise. is Dave Hill said the Z51 was 75% of the Z06. 95% is more like it in my book and I push my cars hard so I know what the envelope is. Throw in tractability and daily use, and the C6 with Z51 is everything the Z06 is. With a few tweaks - it will be more.

For the value-conscious buyer, I would say this. If you are biased towards all-out performance, don't care about the targa roof and the sucky headlights and don't do long road trips, invest in a used Z06, 2002-2004, and throw on some Nitto R2s. The Z06 is still the top dog - by a hair - and you will save $25,000. If you're like me and need a better-rounded car but also Z06 performance, and you can't stand not having an open-air option, get the C6. Caveat emptor on the electronics though: they will be a constant annoyance.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Racie
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ZO6 vs Z51

Nice write up.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:42 PM
allaboutdaz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up
Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I have had my Z51 M6 C6 for 4200 miles and I still have my '02 Z06 to compare it to (had a 2000 M6 Coupe before Z06). Thought it might be of service to anyone still wondering.

Performance:

For acceleration The Z51 C6 feels no slower in a straight line than the Z06 does, and my Z06 was no slouch: 355RWHP bone stock and it rides on Nitto R2s. Power delivery is different: the C6 has more torque, while the Z is the top-ender. Frankly, the C6 feels a bit weak above 6K compared to the Z and could probably benefit from better flow. I like the LS2 sound better - less raspy and more NASCAR. Overall, this is a dead heat.

In corners , the Z51 is very impressive...not quite the Z06 because mine has the Nittos, but it would be very close to a Z06 with F1s. Again, though, the feel is different: the EMT tires always have a "groove" feeling at the limit...you get the feeling they will corner to a hard limit, then let go. The Nittos and regular F1's feel like they give up grip more progressively, and they are definitely more compliant. That said, the new EMT is a tremendous improvement over the F1 GS. The C6 feels better balanced, probably because it is. Advantage Z06 on a racetrack, but not by much.

braking Z06 wins this, hands down, despite the bigger Z51 rotors. It's the grippier tires, I think. C6 braking much better than C5 Coupe braking.

Comfort/Interior/Daily driving

The C6 is a home run here...clear outta the park. The seats are wonderful, the lights are incredible, the cupholders finally work, and it is quiet and civilized when it needs to be. And FINALLY, I have my precious removable roof back. I did 1100 miles in one day with the car when I first got it and I could have gone further...I'm 42. The car is THAT good on long distances and as a road car. Did I mention the XM totally rocks (although it is not perfect... it DOES cut out here and there). And the runflats are nice to have for long trips.

Now for the BAD :

Structure:

I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that the car feels flexy, especially with the roof out. Maybe it's the rigid Z06, but I was surely not expecting this. It feels even flexier than I remember my 2000 Coupe being. Oddly, I feel this not in the windshield area, but in the rear of the car.

To make matters worse, the interior creaks more than either of my C5's did. The center console creaks constantly in curves, the driver door buzzes on anything rougher than new asphalt, and the roof creaks when stowed in the back. We have not regressed to C4 stuff, but the C5 was definitely better.

The HUD sucks compared to the C5. Sure, the G-meter is cute and the round tach thing is cool, but the new unit is harder to read, not as bright, and the image distorts badly if you move your head.

...and the UGLY

The electronics. What were these idiots thinking? The push button start is OK, but the electronic door handles and the radio/HVAC electronics have a mind of their own. Sometimes the door unlocks automatically when I approach, sometimes I have to take out the key fob. It insists on locking the door, even if you de-select that option. It systematically refused to let my wife out the passenger side without multiple button pushing...she would up just opening with the emergency handle. The car sometimes beeps the horn three times when you close the door...why, nobody knows. Sure is embarrasing when you are still in the car in front of the restaurant and everyone is staring at you. Sometimes when you turn it off (shift into reverse and all that), the fog lamps come on and stay on until they are manually turned off - I suspect that may be the DBS cause. Sometimes the DRL's are on, sometimes not. Several times, the HVAC screen was totally blank and the AC wouldn't come on...this, after the AC TSB was done.

Add a second key fob (as in your wife carries #2 for backup on a long trip) and the car goes downright berzerk. I had to have her run away from the car before closing the door so it would not wig out. But THE spookiest tidbit by far is the fact that I can start the car in the garage when both key fobs are in the kitchen...

The only saving grace is no fuel problems and no dead battery thus far.

Conclusion

Despite all this, I love the car and I am glad I got it. Performance-wise - the part I feared most because I promised my wife we would keep only one Corvette - it has been a hugely pleasnt surprise. is Dave Hill said the Z51 was 75% of the Z06. 95% is more like it in my book and I push my cars hard so I know what the envelope is. Throw in tractability and daily use, and the C6 with Z51 is everything the Z06 is. With a few tweaks - it will be more.

For the value-conscious buyer, I would say this. If you are biased towards all-out performance, don't care about the targa roof and the sucky headlights and don't do long road trips, invest in a used Z06, 2002-2004, and throw on some Nitto R2s. The Z06 is still the top dog - by a hair - and you will save $25,000. If you're like me and need a better-rounded car but also Z06 performance, and you can't stand not having an open-air option, get the C6. Caveat emptor on the electronics though: they will be a constant annoyance.
Very detailed and unbiased. I don't think I have read a more complete evaluation of the C6 and only wonder if what you face with C6 electronics is the norm. You did not mention if you had asked Chevy to correct some of the problems. I would find them more than annoyances.
I also found it interesting that you used the number 95% to measure the C6 and the Z06. All independent comparisons I have seen would support your estimate, and suggest that a skilled driver in a C6 might be more than a match for a Z with a lesser person at the wheel. 95% of 405 hp is 385 which means that the 2001 Z is not going to have an easy time running away from the C6 as some claim.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:21 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

For acceleration The Z51 C6 feels no slower in a straight line than the Z06 does
Maybe this is hard to judge from the driver's seat but the track times posted by owners and the magazine reviews disagree with you. The dyno runs posted by owners also show less RWHP.

FWIW - I do like the C6.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I couldn't agree more with your write up. Luckily, I too have both cars, a 2003 Z06 and a 2005 base 6 spd, I disagree only on two points;

1. the HUD - I like the one on the C6 better, but I only use the speedometer in numbers setting, not the rpms, fuel etc. It is clean and not distracting, personal prefferance. In the Z06, there is no mode that just displays the speed so your stuck with the tach, meters, etc. Also depending how the sun is shining into the interior it can get totally unreadable and will reflect onto the windsheild even when illumination is turned all the way down.

2. My C6 is pretty tight, no creaks and moans in mine.

Also, your kitchen is probably real close to the garage, if I tried to start my car and the fob isn't close to it (like inside or next to the car) it simply will not start and display the "No FOB Detected" in the DIC.

The stereo is slightly better on the C6, but not to audiophile standards by a long shot. My battery died when a valet didn't know how to turn the car off correctly and let it sit in the ACC mode with the fob inside. I just had the clutch, because it was sticking at hi rpms (tsb 05-07-31-001)

The C6 is definitely an evolution of the C5, even though it is a better all around car IMO - If I had to chose one, I would chose the Z06.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 PM
MikeNMaxZO6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racie
Nice write up.
Does he work for R&T?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:19 PM
MOL
Advanced

even in fighter jets the HUD sucks when you are staring into the sun
Old 09-16-2005, 04:56 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pio

"In the Z06, there is no mode that just displays the speed so your stuck with the tach, meters, etc..."
sure there is!
Old 09-16-2005, 05:55 AM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Pio
I couldn't agree more with your write up. Luckily, I too have both cars, a 2003 Z06 and a 2005 base 6 spd, I disagree only on two points;

1. the HUD - I like the one on the C6 better, but I only use the speedometer in numbers setting, not the rpms, fuel etc. It is clean and not distracting, personal prefferance. In the Z06, there is no mode that just displays the speed so your stuck with the tach, meters, etc. Also depending how the sun is shining into the interior it can get totally unreadable and will reflect onto the windsheild even when illumination is turned all the way down.

2. My C6 is pretty tight, no creaks and moans in mine.

Also, your kitchen is probably real close to the garage, if I tried to start my car and the fob isn't close to it (like inside or next to the car) it simply will not start and display the "No FOB Detected" in the DIC.

The stereo is slightly better on the C6, but not to audiophile standards by a long shot. My battery died when a valet didn't know how to turn the car off correctly and let it sit in the ACC mode with the fob inside. I just had the clutch, because it was sticking at hi rpms (tsb 05-07-31-001)

The C6 is definitely an evolution of the C5, even though it is a better all around car IMO - If I had to chose one, I would chose the Z06.
If you are saying that there is no mode for the Z 06 in which only the speed is displayed you could be correct. But if you are saying that there is no mode in which the speed will be displayed then this is incorrect. My normal display provides a variety of data including the speed. Perhaps in the C6 there is a mode in which only the speed in numbers is displayed with no other data.
I have seen no reports in magazines or other independent, unbiased sources to support the statement that the C6 is significantly lesser when it comes to acceleration and speed than the newer Zs. Apparently the Z51 package makes quite a difference. GM officially states that with this package the C6 is the near equal of the Z and what I've seen reported supports this statement. My two short test drives of the C6 were not enough to identify major differences in performance between it and my Z, but clear differences with a C5 coupe. I too would take a newer Z over the C6, but would want the C6 over a base C5 (assuming reasonable prices for all).
Old 09-16-2005, 06:37 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I place more stock in owner's reports (especially) if they actually owned both, than first time owners or even the car rags. So all in all I can't disagree with you albeit for one minor point. In my few "run in'" with C6's I have never failed to put 2 or 3 car lengths on it. If that is considered "close" I guess I don't know the meaning. Of course with just bolt-on's and no tune I'm making 367 RWHP. I have yet to see similar numbers from ANY CF C6 unless they had some LT's and a tune.

My conundrum comes from the fact that even if I bought a base Z51 6-speed I'd still be out an additional $15K. And to be honest based on my "lurking" over on the C6 forums I would want an 05, having to put the transmission in reverse every time to avoid having the car go dead is just lame, and in fact a minor safety issue. When parked facing up hill why in the world would I want to leave my car in reverse and we all know how iffy the e-brakes can be. And I really dislike the headless Pillsbury Dough Boy steering wheel. The jury is still out on the electronics, one visit to the C6 area and I can't count the number of "dead again" , "erratic fuel gauge" and now a new twist, owner's are reporting their soild panel top is coming apart. Some are carry overs from the C5 and that's a shame. GM should have fixed every bug common to the C5 before sending C6's down the line only to have their owner's have to hope local dealers can fix them. Shame on GM for that. I'm hoping the 2nd year C6 will address all of these known issues.

Having said all that, my wife and I will most likely buy a 2006 Z51 6-speed if for no other reason than my wife thinks "it's cute" she thinks the Z is “brutt’ish”. And I actually love the new looks and the headlights, however that could change the first time I have to replace one. I can always mod the hell out of it to remove some of the Euro GM deemed necessary in building into the Corvette.

BTW ours will be a DSOM with chrome Z06 style wheels. Now that will be hot.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 09-16-2005 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I place more stock in owner's reports (especially) if they actually owned both, than first time owners or even the car rags. So all in all I can't disagree with you albeit for one minor point. In my few "run in'" with C6's I have never failed to put 2 or 3 car lengths on it. If that is considered "close" I guess I don't know the meaning. Of course with just bolt-on's and no tune I'm making 367 RWHP. I have yet to see similar numbers from ANY CF C6 unless they had some LT's and a tune.

My conundrum comes from the fact that even if I bought a base Z51 6-speed I'd still be out an additional $15K. And to be honest based on my "lurking" over on the C6 forums I would want an 05, having to put the transmission in reverse every time to avoid having the car go dead is just lame, and in fact a minor safety issue. When parked facing up hill why in the world would I want to leave my car in reverse and we all know how iffy the e-brakes can be. And I really dislike the headless Pillsbury Dough Boy steering wheel. The jury is still out on the electronics, one visit to the C6 area and I can't count the number of "dead again" , "erratic fuel gauge" and now a new twist, owner's are reporting their soild panel top is coming apart. Some are carry overs from the C5 and that's a shame. GM should have fixed every bug common to the C5 before sending C6's down the line only to have their owner's have to hope local dealers can fix them. Shame on GM for that. I'm hoping the 2nd year C6 will address all of these known issues.

Having said all that, my wife and I will most likely buy a 2006 Z51 6-speed if for no other reason than my wife thinks "it's cute" she thinks the Z is “brutt’ish”. And I actually love the new looks and the headlights, however that could change the first time I have to replace one. I can always mod the hell out of it to remove some of the Euro GM deemed necessary in building into the Corvette.

BTW ours will be a DSOM with chrome Z06 style wheels. Now that will be hot.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Tom
What bolt-ons are you talking about? Anything you did to add to a stock Z might produce the differences you observed. You also may not know if the C6s you encountered had the Z51 package and you may know nothing about their skill as drivers. I have put about 175K miles on vettes in my time and I am convinced that there are many vette owners with far less experience who could put me to shame at a track. Like your wife many people have apparently become first time corvette owners because of the European styling, so you may have been up against someone like me.
I would have chosen a C6 over a C5 solely because I wanted the 400 hp. Given the availability of a Z at big savings the choice was not hard. BTW I leave my Z in reverse now so doing so with the C6 would not matter.
I agree that there seems to be a lot of minor, and sometimes irritating bugs with the C6, but in perusing the forum over there I think most of them are very happy with their car. Some of the innovations take some getting used to and operator mistakes can easily lead to dead batteries, whereas many of the Z threads are about finding a battery that will work efficiently with a Z. With the C6 I don't see evidence of the major, widespread problems I've seen with the Z such as oil leaks in the 2001, dead again batteries, and the steering lock difficulties. All of this is a matter of personal opinion, but I'd much prefer to face problems with my navigation system than a steering lock foul up.
Based upon your comments I'll wager that you'll be sold on the C6 after you get some seat time with one. But you'll miss the pure corvette styling the same way I miss my removable roof. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Very nice comparison. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:25 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pio
In the Z06, there is no mode that just displays the speed so your stuck with the tach, meters, etc.

My 2002 HUD is set to display only speed.

Last edited by rbartick; 09-16-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:40 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pio
In the Z06, there is no mode that just displays the speed so your stuck with the tach, meters, etc.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbartick

My first Z06 was a 2001 w/o the HUD, this 2003 is my first encounter with it, since it was used I didn't get the owners manual. I ordered it, but have not gotten it yet. I will DIC around with the settings and try to figure it out. Thanks for the info, I've only used the HUD with Speed na d tach, etc.....
Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Charles7Mitchell
If you are saying that there is no mode for the Z 06 in which only the speed is displayed you could be correct. But if you are saying that there is no mode in which the speed will be displayed then this is incorrect. My normal display provides a variety of data including the speed. Perhaps in the C6 there is a mode in which only the speed in numbers is displayed with no other data.
This is what I meant, I have the C6 set up only to display the speed I'm going. I would rather just see that in my Z06, is there or is there not a way to do this?

Get notified of new replies

To Review: Z51 C6 vs. Z06

Old 09-16-2005, 10:45 AM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by Pio
This is what I meant, I have the C6 set up only to display the speed I'm going. I would rather just see that in my Z06, is there or is there not a way to do this?
Press and hold the "Page" button (upper left of dash) until you get the display that is to your liking.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:56 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pio
Yes there is. Did you check your owners manual?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cj68
Press and hold the "Page" button (upper left of dash) until you get the display that is to your liking.

IT WORKS!!!!! Thanks! I got it to only display the speed, awesome.

TTRotary - sorry the thread went in this direction.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Review: Z51 C6 vs. Z06