Sponsored by:

GM Dealer Question??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Sarg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Dealer Question??????

Before a GM dealer sells a used GM car, shouldnt they have to run the VIN to see if any recalls are outstanding on that vehicle?? Bought my Vette from Micheal Chevrolet, called another dealer to find out the stering wheel lock recall was never done! I am a Vehicle Rep. for Ford,and am responsible for 500 company lease vehicles. I would be in a huge amount of trouble if I sent a used vehicle back to our B lot or out to auction without all recalls being compleated!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:32 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default recalls

recall should've popped up when the vin was entered into service's computer for the prep work,and wether or not it was done.wether they did anything about it is another story.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:11 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

A dealer will not take the time to fix anything until the car is sold. I purchased a Trailblazer in 2003 and it had a broken door switch. The sales staff all the way to the owner of the stealership told me that. Because dealerships do alot of swaps with other dealerships. Just penny pinching.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:50 AM
JTAllen79
Instructor

Dealer =
Old 08-06-2005, 07:54 AM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

get used to substandard conduct by chevy dealers. IMO GM's number one problem, maybe even ahead of their health care costs.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:05 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 99C5Vert
get used to substandard conduct by chevy dealers. IMO GM's number one problem, maybe even ahead of their health care costs.
Absolutely. It's a damn shame.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:05 AM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

anything a dealer does is driven solely by profits-----------it it doesn't help the dealer make money then it ain't done. we all would like to think they're looking out for us & doing what's right but only in your dreams does a dealer go the extra mile. i yield that there are exceptional dealers out there but the well-earned norm is that they only do what they have to do. bub
Old 08-06-2005, 09:22 AM
LB04CE
Race Director

They wont do anything until they have too!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:27 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Most of them worry about where their next cheeseburger is coming from.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Postergeist
Le Mans Master

Your car may have the column lock bypass installed. If so, I wouldn't even have the recall performed (if you don't mind GM inundating you with notices into infinity and beyond).
Old 08-06-2005, 10:13 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You'd sure think that the recalls would have been done!
Old 08-06-2005, 05:23 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi "Sarg",

Yes, this is an interesting and sadly pervasive conundrum in this particular industry. In the training of new general managers for auto dealerships, such individuals are alerted to a standard set and list of important "safety" checks that should wisely be performed on each and every used vehicle acquired and brought to the lot before it is to be "flipped" (sold) to the consumer public. This check also applies to implementing the latest TSB upgrades to any used vehicle. However, this is not often done (as stated above), until the car is actually processed for sale by an interested and committed buyer.

In regards to selling, and/or, buying a used vehicle: Dealerships should always provide comprehensive safety checks, the actual replacement of worn and faulty parts (mechanical, as well as, the more common "wearable" parts), AND, comply with and install all current TSB repairs. Frankly, this is a proper business ethic (as well as, customer courtesy). In fact, this all important business and preferred customer service ethic, should be consistently taught and transferred to each and every rank and file employee on down the line on the dealership premises.

However, this is not often the case. Of course, this is not to say that exceptional service with the customers' best interests in mind, does not exist at any auto dealership. But, in reality, we are all aware that this is not often the case. Therefore, as retail customers, we are often forced to practice our own strict and very diligent consumer advocacy. And, this careful mindset is always prudent.

Thus, do your homework. Perform a vin number verification, carfax, and, dealership vin number service history report BEFORE you buy. A dealership service history report will alert you to any known past dealerships mechanical servicing and warranty work that had been performed on a specific vehicle. This search is also useful in that it will list any TSB service repairs that had been previously performed on the vehicle. Also, research both local and out of state DMV records and histories. This may alert you to past collision report incidences on file. This is easily done with persistence.

Realize that most salespersons may not be car savvy. Nor, may they be aware of, or, even forthcoming with any specific knowledge regarding the particular vehicle you are interested in. These individuals are strictly hired to sell off the lot. And, a dealerships/salespersons sales methods are, yet, another very interesting and "exposive" topic, altogether.

Helpful Tips: As mentioned above, obtain a service history vehical report. An employee from the parts or service department should be able to procure this easily for you by merely inserting the actual vin number into their service report data base. If there are known TSB's outstanding on this vehicle, request that they be installed. However, BEFORE doing so, it is your consumer right and responsibility to be informed, AND, selective with such repairs. Request only those TSB's that have been found through research and consumer response that are necessary, safe and applicable. This is very important.

Case in point: Keep in mind that a long standing bone of contention for C5 owners is the CLB dilemma. In general, the current TSB regarding this issue does not provide a total and appropriate fix. As has been found, if implemented (downloading PCM fuel shut off instructions), may leave you innocently stranded in an isolated area allowing you to become susceptible to unwanted risks, and, to encumber the added burden of having the vehicle towed at your cost to the nearest dealership. The debate continues as more C5 owners are filing complaints with not only GM, but, now finally, the National Highway and Safety Administration (go to www.nhtsa.gov).

In fact, at this time, this long standing sense of consumer concern and urgency regarding CLB recall may finally be heard by GM. And, preclude the implementation of yet another higher level TSB repair, as well as, process possible refunds for CLB recall services performed at a participating dealer that failed to completely and safely resolve the issue. Stay tuned.

Lastly, when purchasing a used vehicle, consider all the pros and cons regarding standard mechanical repairs, and, those announced through TSB's. Personally inspect and test drive the car. Inspect all hoses, brakes, belts, tires, wheels, suspension, underhood engine parts, wiring, fully functional electrical accessories, etc.. And, ask if their is an extended warranty already in place on the vehicle that you may be able to take advantage of. If the vehicle is not up to your standards: Walk Away! And, if you still desire to purchase the vehicle, negotiate price, and, the parts that may require replacements now.

Dealerships are in a position of upholding the public trust. Therefore, make the Dealership perform their due diligence to their customers. Also, be sure that the lot offers a return policy. Get it in writing, first. Most lots have at least a thirty day warranty on all used vehicles. However, it is best to take note of what the car needs now than later when you may be struggling to have the vehicle serviced under any policy.

Best Wishes,
Eden
Old 08-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Flying Ace
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

And then buy the extended warranty as a CYA..

Mine has paid for itself three times over already.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:50 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Per the GM Dealer's Policies and Procedures manual, they are to perform recalls on any car that has an outstanding recall, prior to sale to the public.
In case of a new car, it is illegal not to perform the recall.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:32 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
Per the GM Dealer's Policies and Procedures manual, they are to perform recalls on any car that has an outstanding recall, prior to sale to the public.

Then I purchased an Illegal car, twice
Old 08-06-2005, 08:47 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I bought my '02 vert. from a Pontiac dealer. The car was a "GM Certified" car and I asked if the recall had already been done and he said before and car can be called "certified" it has to have all recalls done and serviced too. He told me they have a list of things that have to be checked. This does raise the cost a little but I think it's worth it.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:53 PM
repo
Team Owner

Location: "when lightning strikes twice, the funerals insane, the funerals insane"
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
Makes sense, Why wait till its sold when they get a warrantee claim from GM anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Dealer Question??????

Old 08-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Sarg
Instructor

Originally Posted by edensknight
Hi "Sarg",

The debate continues as more C5 owners are filing complaints with not only GM, but, now finally, the National Highway and Safety Administration (go to www.nhtsa.gov).

Best Wishes,
Eden

I thank you for your reply, a great deal of effort went into it! Also I did file a complaint at www.nhtsa.gov. I figure if I follow the rules for my company, they should too! Weather the vehicle is new or used the quality is what keeps us comming back. Unless GM wants us all to turn into GT40 fans!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes the dealer probably should pull up and fix any outstanding recalls before selling the car - but do they? Probably not.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:06 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

As stated in ALL recall documents:

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program MUST be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin BEFORE customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. This could be done by mailing to such customers a copy of the customer letter accompanying this bulletin. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

Quick Reply: GM Dealer Question??????