Sponsored by:

Windshield Replace - Now HUD Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:36 PM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Windshield Replace - Now HUD Problems

I had my windshield replaced on my 02 vert today and when I picked the car up, the oil can is now showing in the HUD as well as the fuel level doesn't match the fuel gage (lower on HUD). I added oil to bring the oil level up to full but the oil can is still showing. Tried reset but no change. Could the windshield replacement cause these problems? I did check and a HUD windshield was installed. Anybody have a clue? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:57 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Type of windshield certainly wouldn't matter...though I don't know why you'd have the problems...I would think it was a coincedence, but I wasn't there to watch the guys either...
Old 07-27-2005, 11:07 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a standard windshield install was done then as PaceThis said...coincedence.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:20 PM
1FunZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLU PIL
I had my windshield replaced on my 02 vert today and when I picked the car up, the oil can is now showing in the HUD as well as the fuel level doesn't match the fuel gage (lower on HUD). I added oil to bring the oil level up to full but the oil can is still showing. Tried reset but no change. Could the windshield replacement cause these problems? I did check and a HUD windshield was installed. Anybody have a clue? Thanks.
I had a non-HUD windshield installed on my Z. Cost $500 vs the dealer installed HUD windshield at $1300. No problems viewing the HUD display.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:14 PM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I recently went thru problems w/ my HUD reading correctly. Several members told me they had the same problem. The problem was corrected w/ a new battery. Guess what??? I relpaced my battery and the problem went away.....
Old 07-28-2005, 04:33 PM
jessejay356
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggieBoy
I recently went thru problems w/ my HUD reading correctly. Several members told me they had the same problem. The problem was corrected w/ a new battery. Guess what??? I relpaced my battery and the problem went away.....
Maybe it's not from getting a new battery... but disconnecting the battery????
Old 07-28-2005, 05:01 PM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'll definitley try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see what that does before I take it to the dealer. I'll report back.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Don't see how changing a windshield will do what you describe. Perhaps the settings for the HUD have been changed - you can page through the display options to get back to where you were before.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Don't see how changing a windshield will do what you describe. Perhaps the settings for the HUD have been changed - you can page through the display options to get back to where you were before.
Time to get out the manual....
Old 07-28-2005, 06:23 PM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

I tried the manual already, and did what it said, but didn't solve the problem. So I disconnected my battery for about 10 mins and reconnected but it didn't clear the oil can. So I paid attention to my battery voltage and we may be on to something here. It ranges from 11.8 v (engine off) to 13.8 V engine running above an idle. As I speed the engine up, the fuel indicator on the HUD goes up. When I go back to idle it goes back down below what is being read on the manual gage. I think my next step is to take the Optima back to the store and have it checked. Its about a year or so old. If the battery is good then the alternator is probably bad. Good thing I bought the extended warranty from Fritcher if its the alternator. I'll keep everyone interested posted on how it turns out. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2005, 08:43 PM
screw991le
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

BTW the oil can is for oil pressure not how full your car is

It is

Oil Pressure
Fuel Level
Coolant temp
Old 07-29-2005, 01:08 AM
DJD Z06
Instructor

As mentioned above, I had the same problem when I had the beast's windows tinted. They left the doors open and ran the battery down. I didn't need a new battery, but when I fully charged it, the problem went away. That may be a coincidence too, but it's worth a shot.
Good luck.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:28 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks, I'll definitley try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see what that does before I take it to the dealer. I'll report back.
A word of caution, when you re-connect the battery and you start the car, your check engine light will come on, turn car off/on few times and it will go away. It happened to me when I replaced the Delco with the red optima.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by thevettenet CA
Time to get out the manual....
Old 07-29-2005, 11:16 AM
MTurnbo
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a combo, typical fuel gage problem with a, someone bumped the page button on the HUD switch.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

I took the Optima battery to the store that I bought it from, they tested it and found it to be defective (wouldn't recover after a load). Gave me a new battery at no cost. I installed the battery but the oil can is still displayed and the gas gage doesn't match the dash gage. So I re-read these posts and realize that the display had been changed on the HUD from the guys changing out the windshield, and that I was reading oil pressure, not fuel level. Now I feel like a fool for not catching this. Hopefully I didn't waste your time, but I did learn a few things anyway and probably prevented a dead battery in the near future. Thanks to all that helped.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:55 PM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I took the Optima battery to the store that I bought it from, they tested it and found it to be defective (wouldn't recover after a load).
Unfortunately, this seems to be a trend w/ Optima batteries. Defective-Defective-Defective. I went thru 3 red tops in 4 years. I've finally learned my lesson w/ Optima batteries. There'll be no more in my Corvette. Bought a conventional type Exide battery.

Hope things work out for you. Good luck....

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Replace - Now HUD Problems

Old 07-29-2005, 02:25 PM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

Also there was acid under the Optima housing, not a lot but some which makes me believe that some liquid exist in the Optima, no matter what they say. Poor battery life is sometimes associated with the alternator overcharging the battery and over time will toast the battery. Anyway, I got a free battery so I will use it. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:13 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I took the Optima battery to the store that I bought it from, they tested it and found it to be defective (wouldn't recover after a load). Gave me a new battery at no cost. I installed the battery but the oil can is still displayed and the gas gage doesn't match the dash gage. So I re-read these posts and realize that the display had been changed on the HUD from the guys changing out the windshield, and that I was reading oil pressure, not fuel level. Now I feel like a fool for not catching this. Hopefully I didn't waste your time, but I did learn a few things anyway and probably prevented a dead battery in the near future. Thanks to all that helped.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:43 PM
HIZVETT
Instructor

Quick Reply: Windshield Replace - Now HUD Problems