Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the absolute best intake right now for the C5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 11:18 PM
OMG
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the absolute best intake right now for the C5?

I've heard teh blackwing, I've heard teh Stingers, I've heard of the zip-ties, and the homemade ones.

I know this topic has been but just one more?

But it's been awhile. Has anything new been released in the past 6 months? Just wondering.

Also keep in mind that I will be dropping a S/C in next spring and if not next spring definitly begining of fall. So I want the intake to be good enough to feed it.

TIA!

Old 07-23-2005, 11:22 PM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Best at what?

If you mean strictly for performance then there's little doubt it's the Vararam.

If you have other criteria besides performance....it depends really on your criteria.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:23 PM
OMG
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 84zz4vette
Best at what?

If you mean strictly for performance then there's little doubt it's the Vararam.

If you have other criteria besides performance....it depends really on your criteria.
Why is the Vararam the best?

Also it will be strictly performance however if it's gonna cut the life of my engine in half than I'll have to pass. (My C5 is my summer DD)
Old 07-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allow me to add another for your consideration, the Hurricane.
Check it out...

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/sho...il.cfm?id=1148
Old 07-23-2005, 11:29 PM
TruUndrtkr
Race Director

Originally Posted by DRKNGHT
Check it out...
I'm pretty sure this is what I will be going with...
Old 07-23-2005, 11:32 PM
madman7
Pro

I just bought a halltech stinger...anxious to install...after research I figured it was the best for me...somewhat noob to the vette game...just looking for a taste at mod'ing for my every day car(only runs in the summer when I am home from college) and you can't beat $229 at a&a
Old 07-23-2005, 11:32 PM
OMG
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DRKNGHT
Check it out...

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/sho...il.cfm?id=1148
I like how it comes with a cleaning kit. Any ideas on how many times you can use the cleaning kit?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:33 PM
OMG
Team Owner

Originally Posted by madman7
I just bought a halltech stinger...anxious to install...after research I figured it was the best for me...somewhat noob to the vette game...just looking for a taste at mod'ing for my every day car(only runs in the summer when I am home from college) and you can't beat $229 at a&a

You and I are on the same boat.

But I'm about to enter college. I need a winter beater first, otherwise I'd already have a S/C.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:35 PM
madman7
Pro

Originally Posted by OMG
You and I are on the same boat.

But I'm about to enter college. I need a winter beater first, otherwise I'd already have a S/C.
What are you leaning toward now for an intake? Just curious b/c I just ordered my stinger last night
Old 07-23-2005, 11:37 PM
OMG
Team Owner

What are you leaning toward now for an intake? Just curious b/c I just ordered my stinger last night

At first, I was leaning towards the Blackwing, but that was because of info from 6 months ago. But the Hurricane is damn tempting (especially at $299). I wonder how realistic the 35HP gain is. But that'll probably what I'll be going with.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:53 PM
madman7
Pro

Someone replied w/. the following info in regards to a post I had posted earlier(same question as you...but I am just looking to give my vette a little pep and not looking to add a sc in the near future)

Vararam: Brings cold air in through the fog light panel area to a panel-type filter. Owners have had good luck with system on the dragstrip, but plan on spending hours to install and a bit more to get everything lined up well. Downside: Eliminates engine bay-cooling air that would've come in from the fog light panels (Z06 or coupe/vert with opened-up panels), so the engine bay may end up being toastier, especially if you add headers later. $350-$400

Vortech Rammer: Brings cold air up from in front of the radiator and into an enclosed box. Its filter is quite a bit smaller than the Halltech Warhead or Blackwing unit. $250

Callaway Honker intake system: This one relocates the MAF so that it is just in front of the throttlebody. It directs cold air from underneath and costs about $500. I believe this unit is 50 states legal (smogwise).

K&N FIPK: This is more of a semi-cold air system, as the cold air intake opening is more of a slit. Its filter endcaps are carbon fiber. However, it is configured similarly to the Halltech Stinger-R and is 50-states legal. $350

Warm air systems: (Easy installation)

Halltech Stinger-R: Not only contains the massive Warhead filter, but also includes a larger-than-stock airbridge and smooth throttlebody coupler. For $239.00 or less, this system represents one of the best bangs for the buck. Fortunately, for about $40, you can add cold air induction. See my procedure at http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm

Halltech Stinger SSM – 2001-2004 C5 only (new!): This intake system features an even larger filter than that of the Stinger-R, TRAP, and Blackwing. $400

Blackwing: Includes just a large filter, but an excellent one at that. Its cost is close to that of the Stinger.

Volant Twin Cone: This system gives you more open filter surface area than any stock box does and is well suited to an engine bay that gets cold air in from the fog light panels, as the filters are more or less in the air flow path. $265

2002+ Z06 airbox cover: A larger opening allows more air to be drawn in through the filter. Expect up to a 5 RWHP gain from this simple swap. $50

Zip-tie: An easy and inexpensive mod (eliminates the OEM box’s upper lid), but its sealing ability is questionable at best.

How good are they? My experience has shown that most will bump up RWHP by at least 10. The advantage of having cold air is that power will not be "dialed down" under normally hot underhood (and intake air) conditions. You could easily lose 10 HP with a warm air system after engine bay temps rise during slow-moving conditions. Cold air prevents this from happening.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:02 AM
OMG
Team Owner

Someone replied w/. the following info in regards to a post I had posted earlier(same question as you...but I am just looking to give my vette a little pep and not looking to add a sc in the near future)

Thanks bud.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:45 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG
Also it will be strictly performance however if it's gonna cut the life of my engine in half than I'll have to pass. (My C5 is my summer DD)
I've BEEN doing research on intakes for over 4 months - non stop. Here's what I got.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...8&forum_id=103

IT WORKS for me. The best performance, filteration available. I dont feel I'm sacrificing anything, and also I want my engine to Last....

Good luck in the decision...
Old 07-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

If the Hurricane adds the HP it claims, for $200 (non carbon fiber price) it's a steal.
I don't know of any new intakes.
Vararam gets great reviews for performance but is supposed to be a pain to install.
I am leaning toward the Halltech due to the price and what you get for the $. Right now I have a drilled out Z06 airbox with K&N inside, and smooth body coupler. Wish I'd done the Halltech instead.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:18 AM
rpfsys
Intermediate

I just bought and installed the Halltech Stinger, which I considered the best FOR ME because it was reasonably priced and even more important, extremely easy to install. Added with my exhaust upgrade, it gave me everything I wanted. No matter what you put in, it will dramatically enhance the potential of your engine. With an upgraded intake and exhaust, this baby became even more fun to drive

just my 2/100ths of a dollar
Old 07-24-2005, 08:18 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Originally Posted by OMG
I like how it comes with a cleaning kit. Any ideas on how many times you can use the cleaning kit?
I would guess about 3 to 4 cleanings... ...like any after market filter you need to be careful to not over oil it.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,407 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by 84zz4vette
Best at what?

Well said and

Get notified of new replies

To What is the absolute best intake right now for the C5?

Old 07-24-2005, 10:06 AM
nbaguy
Advanced

Default Blackwing is still King

Folks; it's still the blackwing - vararam and others like that are expensive "gimmicks"...Doug Rippie Motorsports builds some of the best aftermarket C5 and C6 engine packages and uses only Blackwing intakes.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:18 AM
ls1vette97
Burning Brakes

What about a twin flow style intake? I've got one on my vette, and I'm happy with it so far plus i only paid $50.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:25 AM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.

I just ordered the hurricane a couple of days ago. If you get it from westcoastcorvette, be sure and tell them you're a corvetteforum.com member and you'll get a 10% discount.
jeff

Quick Reply: What is the absolute best intake right now for the C5?