Sponsored by:

Leasing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 05:48 PM
bef99hwk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Leasing

Since I am young and want too many things, I don't tend to keep my cars more than two years or so. I keep wanting to upgrade. I was thinking about leasing but I am not sure how it all works. How do you do insurance and how do you figure payments out with the price of the vehicle?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:57 PM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm sure that many could respond at great length here, but without knowing a thing about your life circumstance (not our business here) the decision to buy or lease is a difficult decision. i've never leased nor do i plan to do so. have known many who leased then were stuck in a long term commitment that they were afraid to drive too many miles for fear of penalty charges. in terms of charges, never doubt for a second that although ostensibly cheaper than buying, the prices/charges are weighted in the dealer's favor. probably better to buy an inexpensive car so you can do other cool things. maybe even buy a vette some day. good luck. bub
Old 07-20-2005, 06:16 PM
UT-Driven
Racer

Insurance doesn't change from what I know, but the company you lease a car from may have strict deductible requirements.

There isn't a lease calculator that I have seen, as it depends on how long the lease will be, the base value of the car compared to the projected residual value, etc.. It will all be weighed in to the lease price.

If you are really concerned with keeping the price per month down, it may be best to wait a few years and save up a large part of the down payment or even buy one outright.

UT-Driven
Old 07-21-2005, 02:12 AM
bef99hwk
Racer

Yeah just a dumb thought I had haha. I want to sell my hawk maybe for 4-5k more than I owe and use that as a down payment. I don't know how much my insurance will change. I heard it will go down but you never know with me being only 19. I am trying to looking for a 99 or 00 around 23k or so.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:47 AM
BickyDhadwal
Melting Slicks

me being 19 and even stupider...i thought i could afford to lease a c6 test drove one and wanted one for a daily driver so i could keep my c5 as a garage queen (my c5 was getting all the attention at the dealership... unlike the c6s ) with 20 thousand down the payments were something like 1200 dollars a month (canadian dollars...on a fully loaded convertable) id rather walk on those rainy days buying would be much smarter...finance it if you can't afford to buy it out right...do payments and its a lot easier to sell it that way aswell...good luck
Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 AM
diviniti
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by bef99hwk
Yeah just a dumb thought I had haha. I want to sell my hawk maybe for 4-5k more than I owe and use that as a down payment. I don't know how much my insurance will change. I heard it will go down but you never know with me being only 19. I am trying to looking for a 99 or 00 around 23k or so.

As far as I know you cant lease any used vehicle, atleast with GMAC. And company incentives/discounts are only available for new models.

As far as insurance, its the same as buying a vehicle, only most banks require full coverage. Unlike other banks, that may only require basic coverage. Also, if you lease new from GM the vehicle is covered under what is called "GAP" Insurance, if anything should happen to it while under lease, GAP covers it. Its included in your lease plan for free.

Also, if you lease new from GM, they have a protection plan, that if you had a co-signer on the lease, and say you die, or the other person dies, the other isnt obligated to make the payments. This costs extra, around $5.00 a month I think.

The best time to lease, or buy, is the week after christmas. That is when the car companys throw in all the good incentives and discounts. I purchased a 2005 Colorado z71 quad cab fully loaded, in December of '04.
The sticker on the truck was just a little over 36000.00 - after everything was said and done I think I only paid a little over 25000 out the door.

hope this info helps.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:15 AM
lpabsolute
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ebubman
i'm sure that many could respond at great length here, but without knowing a thing about your life circumstance (not our business here) the decision to buy or lease is a difficult decision. i've never leased nor do i plan to do so. have known many who leased then were stuck in a long term commitment that they were afraid to drive too many miles for fear of penalty charges. in terms of charges, never doubt for a second that although ostensibly cheaper than buying, the prices/charges are weighted in the dealer's favor. probably better to buy an inexpensive car so you can do other cool things. maybe even buy a vette some day. good luck. bub
Old 07-21-2005, 07:42 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default leasing

insurance needs will be determined by what state you live in,first off.Like ny,you need 100/300 at least.you can not figure a lease payment yourself unless you have the money factors and all that.Go to www.gmac.com,or it might be www.chevrolet.com,something like that.they have a link on their site to figure lease payment,smart buy(which isn't so smart a buy!!!) if you only keep your car's 2 or 3 years,this might be a way for you.Leasing is not to bad as long as Buy enough mileage up front.You can not do serious mods to the car or you'll be charged at the end.you will be charged for excess wear and tear,bald or almost shot tires,etc.dings,scratches...do your homework.you should only need 2 or 3 grand down tops.or 0 down if you can do the payment.good luck.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:18 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The difference between buying and leasing is that with a lease, you are basically only financing the depreciation of the car over a specified term, that's where the lower payments come from. The higher the residual, the lower the payments. Insurance should not differ from buying the car.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:04 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

You should be able to do a calculation on leaseguide.com

With a lease you pay for two components: 1) for the depreciation of the goods (the car) over the time period, and 2) interest on the value of the goods (the car) during the time you have it.

A two year lease on a used Corvette can easily run $500/month or more if you have very little down. So, two years will run you $12k or so. Will you lose that much if you buy it and sell in two years?

Also - as already pointed out, be careful on mileage. Also be careful on "wear and tear" and also you can't mod a leased vehicle (unless you want to take everything off in the end).
Old 07-21-2005, 12:12 PM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

Don't forget to look into the sales tax issue. This varies from state to state, and can be significant if your state taxes the full purchase price each renewal without credit for a trade.

You are smart to look at these things now before the emotions try to takeover in the showroom.

Good luck,

DBD
Old 07-21-2005, 12:27 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lease Calculator

They will provide leases on 2002 and newer 'vettes. My personal ride is leased through them, as was our Z06, and I've been happy with their service.

As was mentioned, check the sales tax rules for your state - there can be a significant tax advantage to leasing, because in many states, you only pay tax on the difference between the purchase price and the residual value, and it's spread over the lease term. (On my 2002, it's about $50/month added to the lease.) If I were to buy the car at the end of the lease, then I would owe the balance of the sales tax.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:55 PM
bef99hwk
Racer

Thank you guys for all your help! Great info!

Get notified of new replies

To Leasing

Quick Reply: Leasing