Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have any of you guys settled for an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I specifically wanted automatic only. I've had many manual cars over the years, including the 98 Formula I used to own. But I got tired of missing shifts at the dragstrip, plus with this car being my daily driver, in rush hour traffic, the automatic is much nicer. I actually have more fun with automatics, I love how they'll downshift two gears sometimes when you hammer it.

I spent about 7 weeks last summer looking for a C5, and passed up a lot of nice cars because they were 6 speeds. I'm glad I didn't end up settling for a 6 speed!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Cart99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I would have preferred driving a 6 speed, my main concern buying a used vette, was not knowing how a previous driver (or drivers) may have abused the clutch or transmission, or even over-revved the engine. I didn't want to pay for someone else's ineptitude with maintenance problems down the line. With the auto, it's much harder to stress the drivetrain.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:33 PM
ChipN
Racer

Default A4 not a problem until you boost HP & TQ

My wife doesn't drive stick and is unwilling to learn. I bought my car spur of the moment a year ago Memorial Day. I was reading the paper, said "look, there's a good sale going on" and she said "go out and buy one, just make sure its auto". Wasn't going to argue at that point.

My car was "fine" (needed suspension work to corner and handle the way that I felt a Corvette should) but was not as quick as I wanted. I had some work done (mild cam package, headers, gears, etc.) and got the performance that I wanted (dyno can be seen at http://www.comp-soln.com/C5_dyno.jpg - sort of large so I didn't want to include it as an image in this post).

After the mods it took me a while to re-learn how to drive my car. Unplanned downshifts result in more speed than I wanted and usually the back end of the car kicking out for a second or so until the stability control kicks in. Lots of fun when you want it but you need to be a little more careful of unplanned downshifts.

Not a bad thing, but I feel it would be more usable and easier to control in a M6. I also like being able to downshift into a corner, something that can be done but is not as effective with an A4. The car is very drivable (and fun to drive) and I use it to go back and forth to work everyday. Being stuck in traffic is much easier to deal with in an A4 so for the purpose of a daily driver it is fine.

So I'm not unhappy one bit with my car or the mods, but if I were to add heads and a supercharger (my original dream for this car) I would probably do that on a M6 instead. Seems the best way to control and fully utilize the available power and torque.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:20 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I don't want to hijack a thread here but we are talking trans and gears.

What do you guys think the best trans/gear combonation is?
Factory options only!

I'm looking at a C5 with a 6 spd geared with a 3.42. With an over-drive it should not be a problem. Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 PM
csmith46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldn't sat "settle for" just because each has his or her own needs and preferences. Both are good at doing what they do.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:10 PM
2fast4sanity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vintage driver
I don't want to hijack a thread here but we are talking trans and gears.

What do you guys think the best trans/gear combonation is?
Factory options only!

I'm looking at a C5 with a 6 spd geared with a 3.42. With an over-drive it should not be a problem. Thoughts?
All 6 spds have 3.42's from the factory. You only had a choice with the A4, either 2.73 or 3.15

Back on topic, I swore left and right I would not buy an auto. 3 months later, along comes a great deal on my '97 A4 coupe. Its got the 3.15 rear and Z51 suspension. I love it, and after getting caught in Hawaii traffic a few times, I'm glad that I didn't buy a manual here. Maybe I'll buy an MN6 when I go back to the mainland.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:23 PM
straightrunning
Instructor

i've been shopping around and was looking for a 6spd, but came across an auto, pretty sure im going to get it. Just like what everyone else has said, just pick your favorite but take circumstances into account as well. I'm gonna be in traffic some of the time so an auto is gonna work out good for me too.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Oldad
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Ordered mine with A4. 12k miles of smiles and would not change it.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:29 PM
boatboatboat
Drifting

Sticks are real cool for about an hour. I drive my car ALOT. I talk on the phone, eat, drink all while driving. A stick was out of the question for me.

Besides have you ever tried to do a FLY BY on a stang, while giving them the finger ,and down shifting at the same time?

Auto's rule..........
Old 07-13-2005, 05:01 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by 2fast4sanity
All 6 spds have 3.42's from the factory. You only had a choice with the A4, either 2.73 or 3.15

Back on topic, I swore left and right I would not buy an auto. 3 months later, along comes a great deal on my '97 A4 coupe. Its got the 3.15 rear and Z51 suspension. I love it, and after getting caught in Hawaii traffic a few times, I'm glad that I didn't buy a manual here. Maybe I'll buy an MN6 when I go back to the mainland.
You can tell I'm a newbie to the C5!
Thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 05:32 PM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 5-speed Audi and an A4 Corvette. I drove the Audi in to the office today, mostly becuuse I feel like I've been neglecting her. Then I got stuck in 45 minutes of DC-area beltway traffic, and I found myself wishing I was in the Corvette -- for no other reason than it's an automatic. I think that speaks volumes -- be honest with your needs and driving style, and get the car that will make you the happiest the majority of the time.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:33 PM
ALX99
Burning Brakes

not to hijack a thread, but who has changed their a4 to a m6? did you have any problems? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on installing the m6, just curious if it can be done without a hassle. I have full access to a shop, so the labor is not the issue, it's if it can be done without nightmares....

justalx@aol.com
Old 07-13-2005, 06:36 PM
MaNiFeSt
Racer

thanks for the comments guys. i have a stock 94' honda accord and its stick so i'm used to driving in traffic and crap in it. it does get annoying after awhile...

i'm currently moving to a large city where the traffic is pretty bad. for that reason i'll consider the auto.. i'll just keep lookin. thanks guys
Old 07-13-2005, 06:46 PM
KOMPNS8
Racer

many people bash the auto, but there are several good reasons to have an auto vette.

for example:

1) my grandfather lost the use of his left leg after being shot down in WWII and being a POW.

um.... ok, i can't think of any more, but i'm sure there's a second.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

"Settled for an automatic"

Get what you want and don't settle for anything else.

I wanted an automatic and that is all I would settle for.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:00 PM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

we drove a 5 speed manual vehicle for 14 yrs. after 3 knee surgeries, the clutch gig wasn't always an option-----------hence, i would not have even considered an m6----i was auto all the way. bub
Old 07-13-2005, 07:21 PM
300bhp/ton
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3XBlack
Six miles each way with eight traffic lights (usually red when I get there), four stop signs and a top posted speed limit of 45. I was being a little sarcastic with the clutch wear but you get the point now. My commute sucks. It's a whole lot easier to put it in "D" and forget about it.
six as in 6 miles. Man I must live in a different world. My normal commute is 26 miles each way.

Although recently I've been working in Bristol which is 130 miles and 2 1/2 hours away. Only did it like 3 times a week but still.

country roads/back lanes/motoway/and busy town traffic.

I see your point, but unless you/anyone has a medical condition I personally think its more of an after thought reason for an auto instead of the main reason for getting one.

But each to their own, wouldn't do if we're all the same would it.

Get notified of new replies

To Have any of you guys settled for an automatic?

Old 07-13-2005, 07:28 PM
JOHNNY P.
Drifting

Location: IF YOUR BIG DOLLAR PROJECT DOESN'T RUN 9'S OR BETTER ....BURN IT ! SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GRAB A LANE ! CHICAGO IL. -------- HOME OF THE FASTEST STREETCARS BARNONE !
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I settled for an Automatic, It works wonders.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:43 PM
FLL-Mike
Instructor

with Vett Girl
Old 07-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

As my car isn't a daily driver and I'm not in stop and go traffic, I preferred a manual. But my wife doesn't know how to drive one (I know, the perfect reason to get one!), I wasn't going to teach her on this car or buy one she couldn't drive if she needed to. No big deal though.

Quick Reply: Have any of you guys settled for an automatic?