Question about Tires/rims replacement, BUT: different

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 PM
sandmanusd
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Tires/rims replacement, BUT: different

Ok, well here is my dilema...

A quick story first... Bought my car in AZ about 3 1/2 weeks ago... from a dealer, said all the tire pressure was right and the liquids and what not were topped off..

Well I have noticed that my MPG was pretty low, so I go and check the tire pressure.. 20 all the way around!!!?!?!?!?! It hasn't been long enough for a slow leak in all 4 tires... so I figured the a-holes probably didn't top them off, or were too cheap or lazy to do it!...

Anyway, that got me thinking...

I have 4750 miles on these tires.. I want to get a set of Chrome Z06's.. always have...

Question is.. should I just go ahead and sell the tires with the rims, while they still have some life in them, so I can get new tires and chrome rims, as a package... i figure I have to get new tires eventually, so if I drive them down to the nub, I will be giving them away for free, so If I sell them now, I get the benefit of the extra money and a brand new tire.. the money can help pay for the new tires..

A.) does this make sense to anyone besides me?
B.) How much money can I get for the tires alone, the rims alone, or both as a package
C.) Nevermind C.. that is the "What rims and tires to get", which I will discuss later in other threads

I will snap a few shots of the tires to show how much tread, and a pic of the rims to show the one little 1/4" mark on the front left (not done by me)...
Old 07-08-2005, 12:08 AM
sandmanusd
Drifting

Here are some pics... they are in good shape, the only mark on the tire is about an inch long, when its clean (aka: no dang dust) its less noticable.. :

Old 07-08-2005, 02:09 AM
sandmanusd
Drifting

Anyone? anyone out there?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:07 AM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Consider looking in the C5 Parts For Sale section in obtaining an answer to your questions.

Market for OEM rims, and run flats is really down to minimum purchase price.

My $0.02 - Purchase a set of rims that you are most interested in. Keep in mind that you may increase the stock sizes depending on the wheels purchased, thus your existing tires are not going to fit in any event.

Put your wheels/tires In the C5 For Sale section after installing your new ones. Ask a reasonable price, or OBO, and go from there.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:51 AM
sandmanusd
Drifting

Originally Posted by AC54ME
Consider looking in the C5 Parts For Sale section in obtaining an answer to your questions.

Market for OEM rims, and run flats is really down to minimum purchase price.

My $0.02 - Purchase a set of rims that you are most interested in. Keep in mind that you may increase the stock sizes depending on the wheels purchased, thus your existing tires are not going to fit in any event.

Put your wheels/tires In the C5 For Sale section after installing your new ones. Ask a reasonable price, or OBO, and go from there.

Good luck.
What would be a good price for the whole setup?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'd say you could get $400 or so for the rims, maybe $500 for the tires depending on the tread left. This is just a guess. May want to check out the Parts for Sale section and see if you can come up with other parts being sold in similr condition. With a little work, I'd bet you could get that one mark to virtually disappear.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Silver98
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give you $400 for the thin spoke rims.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:02 PM
sandmanusd
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
I'd say you could get $400 or so for the rims, maybe $500 for the tires depending on the tread left. This is just a guess. May want to check out the Parts for Sale section and see if you can come up with other parts being sold in similr condition. With a little work, I'd bet you could get that one mark to virtually disappear.

It is a pretty small mark, really not deep at all, its just accented by the brake dust and a bit of crud... I will wash it and buff it out with some polish, to see what it really looks like.. but I am a fair seller, no hiding anything.. thats my motto..

tires are in excellent condition...

I would post more pics, but my picture server is full right now... (only have 5 lousy megs!)

As for Silver98... I will get back to you on that... I just now started researching this whole thing... still don't know if I am going to do it yet...
Old 07-09-2005, 02:30 PM
sandmanusd
Drifting

any other ideas?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:40 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

There is another possibility,..if you are patient..

I have seen, on more than one occasion,people wanting to put their modded cars back to stock to sell or trade in. These particular transactions I am speaking of ask for original wheels plus some cash(usually a couple g's or so).

Maybe?????

BTW( are those thin spokes or z06?)
Old 07-09-2005, 02:41 PM
sandmanusd
Drifting

Originally Posted by flynbya2
There is another possibility,..if you are patient..

I have seen, on more than one occasion,people wanting to put their modded cars back to stock to sell or trade in. These particular transactions I am speaking of ask for original wheels plus some cash(usually a couple g's or so).

Maybe?????

BTW( are those thin spokes or z06?)

Hmmm.. good idea.. I am in no hurry, except for the fact the tires will get worth less as time goes on!

Z06... my car is in my sig..
Old 07-09-2005, 02:51 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by sandmanusd
Hmmm.. good idea.. I am in no hurry, except for the fact the tires will get worth less as time goes on!

Z06... my car is in my sig..
Yes, I thought they were, but in one of your pics(closeup) it does look like they may be thin spokes.

In that case,I'll bet you could get upward of $1,000.00 for your setup...maybe as much as 12-1400!!
The wheels alone are prolly 6-800

Be patient .....and good luck with it
Old 07-09-2005, 02:51 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Your ride is looking good there bud Sorry but I have no idea on the value of used tires. The GM Z06's typically fetch a pretty good buck on eBay. I was watching them intently for a few months and noticed they will usually range from a low of $600.00 to a high of about $900.00 depending on condition. Seen a nice polished set sell for $1280.00 a couple months ago.

When you're ready for the Chrome GM Z06's, you'll probably want to contact Bob at House of Wheels. I bought mine from his for $1195 and they're definately show quality. In fact I seen a post of his yesterday saying that he had one set left.

As for tires, I went with the Toyo's and love them!

That rides going to look even better with some chrome
Richard
Old 07-09-2005, 03:00 PM
sandmanusd
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
Your ride is looking good there bud Sorry but I have no idea on the value of used tires. The GM Z06's typically fetch a pretty good buck on eBay. I was watching them intently for a few months and noticed they will usually range from a low of $600.00 to a high of about $900.00 depending on condition. Seen a nice polished set sell for $1280.00 a couple months ago.

When you're ready for the Chrome GM Z06's, you'll probably want to contact Bob at House of Wheels. I bought mine from his for $1195 and they're definately show quality. In fact I seen a post of his yesterday saying that he had one set left.

As for tires, I went with the Toyo's and love them!

That rides going to look even better with some chrome
Richard
Thanks man... Yeah, I want some chrome on it... of course would have to replace the pads with some ceramics!! brake dust=

But, as for the wheels.. The problem is that I would have to buy a set of wheels and tires first, and then sell these once I get everything installed.. which is risky, but I guess I can hold out until I get the best price that way.. and try and regain as much money as I can.

I don't neeed/want any fancy wheel.. just a chrome z06... I hear the talk about weight of aftermarkets.. I don't really care much about that... not going to know the difference... I just want good quality... so the chrome wont fade or chip or peel... that is my primary concern.. as for the tires.. my primary concern is how long they will last.. I want the longest lasting tire, not the "stickyest" or best performing tire... I want the occasional accidental "chirp" from the light to not cost me $50!!! Do they make a long lasting tire for the Z06?

HEres another question.. Can you put the same tire on the front and back.. if I'm going to get new rims and tires... Cant I get 18 x 9.5 all around? I know thats thinner in the rear, but if I can rotate the tires... than it would save me a BUNDLE in the long run!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 03:20 PM
jaxgator
Le Mans Master

Location: Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Question is.. should I just go ahead and sell the tires with the rims, while they still have some life in them, so I can get new tires and chrome rims, as a package...
If it were me, and these tires fit my new rims, I'd just put these tires on new rims as it looks like a lot of life left in them. Not only that but a lot of the times that I have seen people selling wheel/tire combos, most of the responses seem to be, "I'll take ??? if you will split them."
Old 07-09-2005, 03:22 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Thanks man... Yeah, I want some chrome on it... of course would have to replace the pads with some ceramics!! brake dust=

But, as for the wheels.. The problem is that I would have to buy a set of wheels and tires first, and then sell these once I get everything installed.. which is risky, but I guess I can hold out until I get the best price that way.. and try and regain as much money as I can.

I don't neeed/want any fancy wheel.. just a chrome z06... I hear the talk about weight of aftermarkets.. I don't really care much about that... not going to know the difference... I just want good quality... so the chrome wont fade or chip or peel... that is my primary concern.. as for the tires.. my primary concern is how long they will last.. I want the longest lasting tire, not the "stickyest" or best performing tire... I want the occasional accidental "chirp" from the light to not cost me $50!!! Do they make a long lasting tire for the Z06?

HEres another question.. Can you put the same tire on the front and back.. if I'm going to get new rims and tires... Cant I get 18 x 9.5 all around? I know thats thinner in the rear, but if I can rotate the tires... than it would save me a BUNDLE in the long run!!!
If you change the stagger, front to rear, you open up another small can of worms...so I would not count on rotations..

If you just want chromies....Take yours to west coast corvettes and have yours chromed for around 600-700...Done deal..you know what you have and you have original equipment....,besides those are better
quality wheels than the aftermarket versions( specifically, the reproduction wheels is what I am referring to,not any forged wheel)

Last edited by flynbya2; 07-09-2005 at 03:27 PM. Reason: forged wheel
Old 07-09-2005, 04:53 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Hey Sam...(ooops, thought you were sam..what was I thinking?? )looky here

Last edited by flynbya2; 07-09-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Tires/rims replacement, BUT: different

Old 07-09-2005, 06:50 PM
sandmanusd
Drifting

Originally Posted by flynbya2
If you change the stagger, front to rear, you open up another small can of worms...so I would not count on rotations..

If you just want chromies....Take yours to west coast corvettes and have yours chromed for around 600-700...Done deal..you know what you have and you have original equipment....,besides those are better
quality wheels than the aftermarket versions( specifically, the reproduction wheels is what I am referring to,not any forged wheel)

the 600-700 you talk about, is that for a chroming process, or is that a wheel exchange? I wouldn't mind just chroming the ones I have, 600-700 seems a bit much... seems like 100-125 a wheel would be reasonable... but I don't really know
Old 07-09-2005, 07:58 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

the 600-700 you talk about, is that for a chroming process, or is that a wheel exchange? I wouldn't mind just chroming the ones I have, 600-700 seems a bit much... seems like 100-125 a wheel would be reasonable... but I don't really know
I am not positive the exact price, but I believe it was in that range, and they do pretty good quality control(I watched them return some for rechroming before they were sold, when I was there one time,...and they didn't look all that bad!)

I am also not sure if it is an exchange either,but even if it was,You would receive OEM wheels back...and I'll bet if you were willing to wait for them,they would return your originals to you.....I think the exchange thing is more for convenience and less down time than anything else...

I have heard that ccw 19's are over 800 to chrome

You should give them a call,if interested..

Last edited by flynbya2; 07-09-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts

Hey Todd,

I got $1000.00 for my stock set up when I sold them. My baby is on stands right now wating on new wheels to come in along with some new NITTO Drag radials. You should stop by sometime and chat you just live right up the street from me bro. I just sold my Chrome Z06 Motrostorts with tires for 1230.00 off this forum so the will sell just post good pics of them that always seems to help.

Quick Reply: Question about Tires/rims replacement, BUT: different