I'm Putting Chrome Rims on Tonight. Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 08:01 AM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default I'm Putting Chrome Rims on Tonight. Need Advice

I'm finally getting down to the last mod (yeah, right...at least for this year. There is always next year) that I want to do to my Torch Red '00 C5.

I'm getting rid of the OEM rims, and bought a set of the C6 chrome rims from Bob at House of Wheels. (great deal...$832 shipped to my door and $300 back when I ship him my rims)

I finally got all four rims shipped to me yesterday and I'm taking them in to be installed tonight.

I have a very basic question to ask...should the weights be mounted on the inside of the rims when balancing them? The reason why I'm asking is when I took my C5 in to Discount Tire and had new tires installed, I asked them to mount the counter weights on the inside of the rims instead of the outside. They told me that for true and proper balancing, they should go on the outside of the rims. Ok, no big deal when you don't have shiny chrome rims. Well, now I do, and to have these dull, silver counter-weights on the outside of the rims...well...it's going to look like doo-doo.

When you install chrome rims, what is the proper way to do it so you don't have these ugly, dull counter-weights on the outside of your rims?

Sorry for the silly question, but I've never had to do this before.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:07 AM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inside of the wheel and have them use the tape weights (not the old style). When the guy balanced my wheels, he even had chromed tape weights to match my chrome wheels! That alone earned him a $20 tip when he finished mounting the tires.

Unless you're running high speeds (in excess of 120+) consistently, the lateral weight distribution on the wheel isn't nearly as important.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

inside...low profile tape
Old 06-28-2005, 08:16 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy

Don't let them put clip-on weights on your wheels. If they can't use stick-on weights - take it somewhere else.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:54 AM
MDLIFE
Advanced

Originally Posted by luvmy82
I'm finally getting down to the last mod (yeah, right...at least for this year. There is always next year) that I want to do to my Torch Red '00 C5.

I'm getting rid of the OEM rims, and bought a set of the C6 chrome rims from Bob at House of Wheels. (great deal...$832 shipped to my door and $300 back when I ship him my rims)

I finally got all four rims shipped to me yesterday and I'm taking them in to be installed tonight.

I have a very basic question to ask...should the weights be mounted on the inside of the rims when balancing them? The reason why I'm asking is when I took my C5 in to Discount Tire and had new tires installed, I asked them to mount the counter weights on the inside of the rims instead of the outside. They told me that for true and proper balancing, they should go on the outside of the rims. Ok, no big deal when you don't have shiny chrome rims. Well, now I do, and to have these dull, silver counter-weights on the outside of the rims...well...it's going to look like doo-doo.

When you install chrome rims, what is the proper way to do it so you don't have these ugly, dull counter-weights on the outside of your rims?

Do you have a phone number for Bob at house of Wheels? Also what size are the C-6 wheels ? That seems like a bargain price for a set of four wheels. Thanks, Dean
Old 06-28-2005, 11:05 AM
BAMF AE
Safety Car

Location: The Surgeon General has warned that it's ok to smoke mustangs!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

In fact, when discount put on my new tires, the guy pulled the weights off and said "Why would GM put these weights on the outside of the rim when they know damn well it's going to get scratched when they get pulled off". I looked at him and said "Good question"! So, as he put the new tires on the wheels, he balanced them using low profile tape on the inside.

No need for worries....low profile tape has an industrial adhesive backing. I've already tested it on George Bush tollway last tuesday

Let's just say those weights are not coming off!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 AM
vett_girl
Pro

I'm still waiting on chrome wheels
Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 AM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Ok, here's the info on Bob...phone number is 561-445-7606. Great guy to deal with. He's out of Delray Beach Fla. and alot of people from the forum have purchased rims from him. No one can beat his prices. Tire dealerships wanted $1,000 for the rims I wanted. I got mine for $500+ after I send him my OEM's back.

When you call, tell Bob that Suzanne from Michigan sent ya!

For some reason, I can't post the link to his website and he does have one so you can see what type of rims he's offering. He's a forum supporting vendor. Don't know why it's not working?

I have standard wheel sizes (17" front 18" rear)...I'm not into the "pimp my ride" look
Old 06-28-2005, 12:55 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The place that road force balanced my new wheels told me that this was the best way to go.

Paul
Old 06-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Old 06-28-2005, 09:57 PM
G-lock
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmy82

Discount Tire in Lansing did my HOW C6 rims and he used the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force balancer he was able to put them on the inside of the wheel using tape weights. They was smooth as glass and I've run the car to 110 or so at the strip this week. If they are telling you any different or won't use the GSP9700 find another Discount Tire. Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To I'm Putting Chrome Rims on Tonight. Need Advice

Quick Reply: I'm Putting Chrome Rims on Tonight. Need Advice