Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN'T DECIDE!!! Run Flats or Non Run Flats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:38 PM
c5showcar
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

switched to Pilot Sports run flats on American Racing Rebel wheels. the ride softer and with less noise
Old 06-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Millenium 04
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iteachflyin
Gotta admit that I haven't driven a Vette without GY OEM runflats. But I've driven a hell of a lot of cars in my day, as have you all, and these things are not that noisy. I personally believe it's a bunch of bunk about all the runflat noise. If you are experiencing too much noise, your runflats are over inflated. I like the safety of having 'em, even though I supplement my sense of well-beingt with AAA.
You are nuts.

GY runflats are very loud.

Non runflats are MUCH quieter.

You should not comment if you have not drove a non runflat car.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Postergeist
Le Mans Master

I ditched the runflats on both my C5's post haste. You'll save yourself mucho bucks and be pleased with performance/noise reduction. I don't concern myself one iota with the possibility of a flat. If it happens, ain't no big thang (to me). I've never, ever had a flat tire. If I had one in the 'vette, I'd call a flatbed.

I will caution you, though, that it would be prudent to have the sensors reinstalled if you go with non-runflats. Not only for the monitoring but the DIC messages you'll avoid that would drive ya absolutely nuts.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:42 PM
joeflyer
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Tires

I recently installed the Nitto 555s. They make a world of difference. Not just quieter, but the ride is so much smoother. which really helps with my lowered car. I carry a plug kit, compressor, AAA card and cell phone. I used the plug kit on the original runflats. It's a good idea to practice on an old tire. I added an Xacto knife. a small drill bit and long-nose pliers to the kit. I'll neve go back to runflats.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I've heard rumors that a spare tire off of a GTO will fit. I would love to ditch the runflats, and have one of these available to throw in the trunk for long trips!!
Old 06-18-2005, 12:31 AM
01yellowc5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Crispyc21
It really depends on how you would feel about the possibility of having to repair your tire on some dark road somewhere. Is the smoother ride and less noise worth it.
I got rid of my run-flats. The ride was like another car. So nice!! But be prepared...have a patch kit, compressor, flashlight, and jack.
Just last weekend I was leaving the mall and picked up what looked like a hollow nail. I didn't have anything to fix it. I limped back to the mall which had a sears auto center...which was closed. After calling a friend and going to two different stores to find all the stuff, two hours later I was all patched and back on my feet...well tires.
Overall: The ride is smoother and quite without run-flats...just be prepared!!
Old 06-18-2005, 04:26 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownV6
I'm going with Nitto 555's when i need to replace my runflats. Only 600 dollars for all 4
I just installed a set of Nitto 555's and what a difference in noise, bump steer and traction. And I don't have to worry about the cost. I can afford two full sets of Nittos for the same price of Pilot run flats. FYI, If you pick up a nail near the side wall of a run-flat they can not be repaired. That gets expensive as I found out the hard way. Get a pump and plug kit and save yourself some cash.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,414 Likes on 14,037 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

With the runflats, you'll probably give up some ride and handling advantages, but you won't be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. Really comes down to your comfort level having to deal with a flat. If you buy a cheap repair kit, it may be a moot point going with the non-runflats.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:17 AM
german72
Instructor

Default Nail in side of run flat repair

Originally Posted by IM QUIKR
I just installed a set of Nitto 555's and what a difference in noise, bump steer and traction. And I don't have to worry about the cost. I can afford two full sets of Nittos for the same price of Pilot run flats. FYI, If you pick up a nail near the side wall of a run-flat they can not be repaired. That gets expensive as I found out the hard way. Get a pump and plug kit and save yourself some cash.
I thought the same thing.

On our 2002 vert, we had a nail in the side and the Goodyear store removed the tire and placed an inside patch on it.

The wanted to sell me a new tire instead.

1 year later, it still held.

Maybe I was lucky.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

runflats suck, save your money
Old 06-18-2005, 07:40 AM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Postergeist
I If it happens, ain't no big thang (to me). I've never, ever had a flat tire. If I had one in the 'vette, I'd call a flatbed.
...these would be included in the book of "famous last words"...bub
Old 06-18-2005, 08:20 AM
o_town_racer
Racer

I went with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 non-runflat tires when my OEMs wore out. I'll never go back. These are by far the best tires I've ever used and the road feel, ride, and handling are far superior to the runflats. Remember, ALL Z06s do NOT have runflats. Just NEVER, NEVER use tire goo (tire repair goo from a can) as it will DESTROY your TPS and more than likely require you to purchase a new tire.

I keep a plug kit and small 12 volt air pump in the trunk in case of punctures. Chances are that you will not experience an explosive decompression of a tire. Much more likely a very slow leak due to a puncture with the foreign object still in the tire. Your TPS will warn you of this. All you really need to do is reinflate the tire and drive until you get to a place to get the tire patched. If you are a DIYer, pick up a tire plug kit from Pep Boys or Advanced Auto for a few dollars and you can fix your own punctures. You don't even need to take the wheel off the car (but you may need to jack the car up depending on location of the puncture).

I've never had to repair the Vette's tires, but my wife's old Miata had 3 plugs in her set of Yokohamas and my RX-8 already has a plug in the front tire. The kit has paid for itself so many times over......
Old 06-18-2005, 08:27 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can understand why some would want to go to a non-runflat and the arguements here are impressive...but they aren't for me.

I imagine myself out on some dark, lonely road in the pouring down rain, me trying to get the jack under the car with mud up to the sills, unable to find the nail.

That brief flash is enough for me to say, "No way". I'll put up with the extra noise from runflats. Just crank up the stereo louder.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:43 AM
o_town_racer
Racer

You drive yours in the rain???? In the dark???? Why drive it when it could get wet or when nobody can see it?

LOL - JK
Old 06-18-2005, 09:23 AM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

NON RUN-FLAT repair kit - jack, plug kit, compressor, etc.

RUN-FLAT repair kit - hotel reservation - no one out in the "boonies" will fix, repair, replace a run-flat. Be prepared for a long stay!

Old 06-18-2005, 09:37 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
I can understand why some would want to go to a non-runflat and the arguements here are impressive...but they aren't for me.

I imagine myself out on some dark, lonely road in the pouring down rain, me trying to get the jack under the car with mud up to the sills, unable to find the nail.

That brief flash is enough for me to say, "No way". I'll put up with the extra noise from runflats. Just crank up the stereo louder.
You left out the part of the girl friend the wife doesn't know about on the dark road late at night in the middle of nowhere.
I don't blame you.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:12 PM
rabnestic
Instructor

I changed to 19x10fr and 19x11 rears with BF Goodrich TA KDW2s, non run flat. Believe it or not, they handle much better and look damn good! They also take bumps much better. They have pressure sensors so I do get an early warning. Based on the ride, it will take a lot for me to revert back to runflats!

Get notified of new replies

To CAN'T DECIDE!!! Run Flats or Non Run Flats?

Old 07-14-2005, 11:05 PM
b98
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Non
Old 07-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcburner
I'm torn. I need some new rubber soon and I've heard people (mostly here on CF) say change to non run flats, some say, "no way, got to have the run flats". I've pretty much decided on the Michelin Pilot Sport's but I need some good advice on Run flats or not. Give me your opinions please. Thanks, Mike.
I went through this same issue last year, when my OEM's needed replacement. Talking with C-5 owners at car meets that replaced theirs, most stayed with the OEM Good Years EMT's. I asked about the noise issue and most replied the new full tread EMT's were much quiter than the worn units. The biggest reason's were safety and trying to sell their C-5's with non run flats. My mind was made up after I had a major blow out in my other car, also damaging the wheel. A patch kit and compressor wouldn't of helped here. An EMT would be unrepairible, but still drivable with this kind of puncture and the wheel would be O.K.
I spent $1300.00 for new Good Year EMT's and notice less noise and far more grip than the worn OEM's.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

The GY EMTs are pretty noisy and that's what irritated me the most about them. After the first set I went with Firestone Firehawks and have been very pleased with their quietness and ability in the rain. Now I'm on my fourth set.

For my daily driver I'll stay with my Firestones.

Quick Reply: CAN'T DECIDE!!! Run Flats or Non Run Flats?