Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
doubledeuce
CF Senior Member

Default Traction control and ABS lights came on today, what's wrong?

As I was driving today, my traction control light came on, and also the ABS light. The message on the gauge said Service ABS, and Service Traction Sys. I was unable to turn my traction control on afterwards. The lights would disappear when I start my car on again, but it would come on in a few minutes. What exactly is the problem, does anyone had this happen before?

Last edited by doubledeuce; 05-11-2005 at 04:48 AM.
doubledeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
PYRO1
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Has the Vette been sitting for a while? Mine did it after sitting two weeks.... drove it for a while and it quit.
PYRO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
doubledeuce
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro5o
Has the Vette been sitting for a while? Mine did it after sitting two weeks.... drove it for a while and it quit.
No, I drive it everyday.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
JadeDragon
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeuce
As I was driving today, my traction control light came on, and also the ABS light. The message on the gauge said Service ABS, and Service Traction Sys. What exactly is the problem, does anyone had this happen before?
Same exact thing happened to me this morning on my drive to work.

Had my car for three weeks...Im hoping it will "work itself out" on the drive home.

Im glad you asked this question...Im all ears too. Thanks!

~~~JadeDragon
JadeDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
sailohio
CF Senior Member

You know the two systems use the same sensors. If a sensor was bad you'd get that kind of read-out. Good luck.
sailohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
mau
CF Senior Member

https://www.facebook.com/kirk.douglass.3/about

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...s&forum_id=103

Maybe this will help.
mau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
MDriveMode
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, this is what happened to me. While driving my car, the dic displayed "Service traction control" , "Service ABS" , "Service active handling". I took it in to the dealer and... $2600.00 later it was fixed They had to replace the electronic brake control module and the brake pressure modulator valve. Luckily, everything was covered by GM. Don't mean to scare you, but this is probably the worst it could be. Good Luck!!!
MDriveMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
flyfisher
CF Member

Same thing happened to me...covered under the extended warranty.
flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:48 AM   #9
doubledeuce
CF Senior Member

My car was tuned by LS1 edit 2 weeks ago, could that have anything to do with it?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:51 AM   #10
doubledeuce
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMC5
Well, this is what happened to me. While driving my car, the dic displayed "Service traction control" , "Service ABS" , "Service active handling". I took it in to the dealer and... $2600.00 later it was fixed They had to replace the electronic brake control module and the brake pressure modulator valve. Luckily, everything was covered by GM. Don't mean to scare you, but this is probably the worst it could be. Good Luck!!!
Hopefully I don't have to pay $2600 to fix it. What about cleaning your ground points, I heard that could fix it.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:12 AM   #11
JadeDragon
CF Senior Member

Just drove home from work and am very relieved to see that the "Service ABS" and "Service Traction Control" lights didnt come on this time (they came on this morning as I posted above). I wonder what made them go on in the first place? Actual probs with those features, or faulty sensors?

While I am relieved, I am left wondering if this is going to be a common occurance with the DIC.

DoubleDeuce, I hope yours fixes itself too. If not I hope its an easy and cheap fix since Im probably due for it at some point down the road as well.

Still get a thrill every time I see my car though. Dang what a beauty!

Good luck!~~~JadeDragon
JadeDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:59 AM   #12
EdsC6Z06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

This also happened to me once recently. I just shut it down and restarted with no more lights/warnings. My "service ABS/Traction control" also came on once after hitting a pretty nasty mid-corner bump which caused the car to "hop" to the side. That also went away after a restart. Good luck.
EdsC6Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:18 AM   #13
AFVETTE
CF Senior Member

Same thing just happened to me. I had a short in the EBTC module. They installed P/N 10343433

Tom

2007 Atomic Orange Z06 w/chrome spiders
AFVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #14
MyVetteDream
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Send a message via AIM to MyVetteDream

Are you still running your AC Delco battery? Check that first for leaks.

Second, check your ground points.

Lastly, as mentioned above, have the ABS sensor checked. I'm going to take my car in for the same exact thing next week. I have a friend that had the same thing in his 4 month old Z06, and it ended up being a faulty ABS senor on the steering column.

Hope this helps.
MyVetteDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:14 AM   #15
SGT. PYLE
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Exact samp deal!!! It was the EBCM and the BPMV. $2981.53 total all covered under warranty.
SGT. PYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:36 PM   #16
doubledeuce
CF Senior Member

More problem. I reset my battery last night, now my remote key doesn't work.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #17
doubledeuce
CF Senior Member

ttt
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #18
Max01GreenMachine
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Location: ------------------------------- Are you not entertained? ------------------------------- Orlando, FL (UCF)
maxengineering

Quote:
Same thing happened to me. It was intermittant, maybe every 20th start or so. So I was frustrated with it, I check grounds to no avail. Then one day coming home from the beach I really got on it, (note: the warnings were NOT on), I broke the tires loose through a couple gears. Well that did it. The EBTCM was toast, so now the dic displayed "Service traction control" , "Service ABS" , "Service active handling" everytime i started her up. So I got the EBTCM replaced and everything has been fine.

Later,
Max
Max01GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #19
AJLEVI
CF Member

Default ecmu

ecmu mine is in the shop with the same problem right now . thank goodness for gmpp i think it would have been 2 grand
AJLEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #20
DevilDog II
CF Senior Member
Oldtimer

My car throws that code/light almost every time I drive it. We've tried just about everything to remedy the problem, but nothing works. It started when I switched to powder coated calipers and stainless steel brake lines a couple of years ago. I wouldn't know how to react if I could take my car out without throwing some kind of warning light. I have a standing joke with the guy who works on my car that I get more warning lights on my Vette in one day than I did in 2 years on my Cobra.
DevilDog II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page Traction control and ABS lights came on today, what's wrong?

Tags
2003, 94, abs, control, corvette, cruise, driving, light, lights, service, traction, trsction, vette, whats, wrong