Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Next Steps with Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:43 AM
chefkretz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Next Steps with Dealership

I will try to keep my story to a minimum but over 5 weeks it has a lot of parts and detail, and I really could use some advice on what to do next.

On March 23 I took my black 04 vette in to the dealership to get a turn signal light replaced, the right seat actuator replaced, and an oil change. For some reason the seat wasn't quite right after the replacement and took it back on March 24th. They said the seat was completely in alignment but they replaced the left bolster. After asking me when I dropped of the car if I wanted it washed I said NO they did so anyway.

A college student porter decided to wash the car with a dirty sponge and dry it with a squeegee. When I arrived to pick-up the car I was sick, you could see large squeegee scratches all over. The largest one go figure, right down the hood. I talked with the Service Manager and he said bring it back tommorow and he would take care of it. I told him no swirls or more scratches.

They polished 2 places on the car with out washing the entire car and caused swirl marks on the hood and the drivers side quarter panel. Needless to say when I picked it up again, I said it needs to be taken care of. So April 1 I brought the car back to them and he assured me that it would be taken care of. When I arrived they had polished the entire car with visible swirl marks EVERYWHERE.

They next took it back to a different detail shop who then hand polished the entire car which helped make it real shinny but all of the swirl marks were still there and billons of tiny scratches that were not there before the entier car polish.

I brought it back AGAIN and told them it still wasn't right so they sent it to another detail shop who wet sanded and machine polished the entire car. Not that it really matters but I was promised the car on a certain day and it took 2 days longer, but I was hoping they were getting it right. I looked over the entire car and the scratches were still there but the swirl marks appear to be gone. I also notice now on the drivers rear quarter panel a fish eye that wasn't there before and you can tell they have rubbed it so much the paint came off the top of it.

I left it over the weekend and I have had it, it is never going to be the same or right again How long does this continue with dealerships? I don't want the car re-painted either, I didn't buy a new car to have them make major mistakes and have it re-painted.

I have asked the General Manager to tell me what my options are as this is getting out of hand. Everyone has advice from being patient, to asking for a new car, to having them buy it back.

I know that it is a stealership , and I could re-assurance and advice to get my car back to orignal or getting a new car.

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:48 AM
michach1
Instructor

Ugh!!! That's all I can say.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

You need to stop dealing with the minions. Go see the owner. If you don't get satisfaction, 1.) file a complaint with GM. 2.) Document and keep copies of all correspondence. Take photos. 3.) See an attorney. Don't give up. You can get this fixed and THEN don't go bACK. KEEP HAMMERING.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
gorillavet
Drifting

Get you a clay bar and some Zanio 5. Work on it and charge the dealership for your time.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Benchpress
Instructor

Since the use of deadly force would only complicate your situation.

The next step would be to talk to an Attorney. Get some legal advice. And a new car is not out of the question, especially if this is the dealership where you bought the current vette.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:03 AM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Swirls

Originally Posted by gorillavet
Get you a clay bar and some Zanio 5. Work on it and charge the dealership for your time.
As good as Zaino Z5 is it won't remove swirl marks it only fills them and hides them so they are not visible. Wash the car 3 or 4 times and they're back.
Get out the porter cable and 3M 39009 for dark cars and shine her up.
good luck.
mrgil
Old 04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

I am with McGil.

Do it yourself.....panel by panel.

Wash. Wash. Wash. clay bar. polish machine. wax hand.

else, contact the dealer owner and go to an established detailer with a love of black paint. Should cost $200 + or -.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:00 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

These forum guys have offered good advice....I'm sorry you've had this bad experience and the continued slip down a steep slope. It could have happened to any of us unfortunately. Hard work will get that beautiful Corvette looking great again!!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
I am with McGil.

Do it yourself.....panel by panel.

Wash. Wash. Wash. clay bar. polish machine. wax hand.

else, contact the dealer owner and go to an established detailer with a love of black paint. Should cost $200 + or -.
On one hand I agree with you. However, it seems that the over zealous use of power buffers has probably killed the clear coat. It sounds to me, anyway, that a re-shoot of the clear coat is the only way to get the car back in shape..... Hopefully the NEW owner of the car will like how it turns out, while chefkretz enjoys his new 'Vette, courtesy of the dealer!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:17 PM
charliesc5
Drifting

another dealer disaster
Old 04-26-2005, 12:40 PM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

Start making sure all correspondence between you and the dealer is in writing, take it to a good body shop and get an estimate to fix it (even if they recommend a repaint) and give the estimate to the dealer making it clear that this is the cheap way out for them - give the dealer 1 chance to pay the bill. If they say no then get a lawyer and include the legal fees and personal time off expenses in your suit.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,287 Likes on 13,963 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would agree, speak directly with the owner of the dealership. If that does not give you any satisfaction, escalate it up to the Zone Rep/Customer Service level and then on to an attorney if all else fails.

Your best best would be to find a very reputable body shop that can give you a solid estimate on what it would cost to properly bring the car back to original condition, including any repaint if necessary.

Best of luck with this - I don't envy you.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Wildcat99
Drifting

Document everything, Phone calls, visits,etc.. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
2toys
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
I would agree, speak directly with the owner of the dealership. If that does not give you any satisfaction, escalate it up to the Zone Rep/Customer Service level and then on to an attorney if all else fails.

Your best best would be to find a very reputable body shop that can give you a solid estimate on what it would cost to properly bring the car back to original condition, including any repaint if necessary.

Best of luck with this - I don't envy you.
I'm very encouraged by all the rational responses, there is obviously a more mature group on during the day. I agree 100% with the above advise. When I worked in service management the last thing the owner wanted was a dissatisfied customer before him. We were given authority to resolve problems and it appears your Service Manager is too as he has twice sent your Vette "outside" and "ate" the cost.

That said it has not corrected the problem. In addition to the above advise check with the BBB to see what this dealers conflict resolution rating is, it may help you to determine whether you want to get an attorney involved now or work through the owner. Generally once you've had an attorney speak for you all further discussions will be only through the respective attorneys, it could get expensive.
Good luck, as the owner of a black Vette I understand.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:26 PM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

I'm not sure the zone rep can help with this issue - it was a local dealer screwup, not a GM one....

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice on Next Steps with Dealership

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Next Steps with Dealership