Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Anyone driven a Mitsubishi Evolution MR yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 04:19 AM
darknight
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone driven a Mitsubishi Evolution MR yet?

I bought a Lancer Evolution MR in December. I was thinking of getting a used 03'-04' Z06 since I paid $36,000 for the MR. I live in the Chicago area though, and already have an 11 second WS6. Therefore, another rear drive car would not help me with our winters here. I would of traded the WS6 for a Z06 but the trade in value would of killed me after spending about $50K for the WS6 and it's mods. OK, so that's my story. My question for you guys is has anyone with a Z driven the Evo MR? I just wonder sometimes would I have been happier with a Z? I really love the MR for it's excellent handling and AWD capabilities, but it is just not fast enough to me. It supposedly runs 12.9-13.3 in the 1/4 mile stock. I could mod it and get it to run low 12's, like the Z does stock, for little money, but I don't want to lose the 10 year warranty that came with the car. So anyone have any opinions on this matter? Thanks for any help guys!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:08 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

I haven't driven an Evo MR, but I used to own a modded Supra Turbo.

My impression is that dollar for dollar, it is easier to record substantial performance gains with a turbo because of the opportunities afforded by a boost controller, higher capacity FMIC, downpipe, exhaust, and either an air flow converter or a remappped ECU. When guys do this with the Supra, they often get an additional 80-90 hp for about $2K in parts. For the Evo, I would think you could do almost as well in percentage terms. To get the equivalent horspower boost for a ZO6, you'd have to turbo charge or supercharge the LS6--pretty expensive.

I hear you about the warranty issue, though.

And I sold the Supra and got my ZO6 partly because of the emissions hassle: the ZO6 is good in OEM form with cats. That convinced me.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:55 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would have bought the Z06 and passed on the EVO. I would have gotten a winter beater for the snow/ice days.
The Evo is a very capable awd rally car, but it does not offer the true sports car experience. The instant torque and power of the LS6 is also a consideration compared to the peaky turbo power of a small displacement 4 cyl.
I also found the Evo to be very hard riding on the street, The bumps are sharp and it got old real fast...
The Z06 suspension is taught, but the bumps are never sharp. Its a much nicer place to be for everyday driving.
While the Evo is great in the wet and snow... It still has the same limitations as all cars when it comes to stopping. I would rather have a beater car to deal with the snow.
I also find the Evo to be complex and more prone to problems. The vette is much better in this regards.
Now, are you sorry you asked?
mike
Old 04-20-2005, 11:01 AM
BlackSheepZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by darknight
I bought a Lancer Evolution MR in December. I was thinking of getting a used 03'-04' Z06 since I paid $36,000 for the MR. I live in the Chicago area though, and already have an 11 second WS6. Therefore, another rear drive car would not help me with our winters here. I would of traded the WS6 for a Z06 but the trade in value would of killed me after spending about $50K for the WS6 and it's mods. OK, so that's my story. My question for you guys is has anyone with a Z driven the Evo MR? I just wonder sometimes would I have been happier with a Z? I really love the MR for it's excellent handling and AWD capabilities, but it is just not fast enough to me. It supposedly runs 12.9-13.3 in the 1/4 mile stock. I could mod it and get it to run low 12's, like the Z does stock, for little money, but I don't want to lose the 10 year warranty that came with the car. So anyone have any opinions on this matter? Thanks for any help guys!

Brett is that you? Anyway, this is Jeff. I think you should keep the MR because you have the AWD and can enjoy the car all year round. You can keep the WS6 and throw a little more money at that car and make it faster yet if that is what you desire. But having two fast rear wheel drive cars in Chicago is useless. With that said, I love my Z06 and would take a Z06 over an EVO MR, but with your situation it is different. I think if you got a better trade in on the WS6 for a Z06 that would be the way to go. A Z06 and an EVO MR. The best domestic and the best import. Good Luck with your decision. Either way you still have some bad azz cars.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:09 PM
FlyingZ06
Advanced

no way
Old 04-20-2005, 03:25 PM
darknight
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C5~Missle
Personally, I would have bought the Z06 and passed on the EVO. I would have gotten a winter beater for the snow/ice days.
The Evo is a very capable awd rally car, but it does not offer the true sports car experience. The instant torque and power of the LS6 is also a consideration compared to the peaky turbo power of a small displacement 4 cyl.
I also found the Evo to be very hard riding on the street, The bumps are sharp and it got old real fast...
The Z06 suspension is taught, but the bumps are never sharp. Its a much nicer place to be for everyday driving.
While the Evo is great in the wet and snow... It still has the same limitations as all cars when it comes to stopping. I would rather have a beater car to deal with the snow.
I also find the Evo to be complex and more prone to problems. The vette is much better in this regards.
Now, are you sorry you asked?
mike
Good points, kinda what I was thinking.
You should drive the 05MR edition. The regular Evo I drove was much rougher riding. The MR has the Bilstien shocks, and a much smoother ride. Plain old interior though, even the often criticized Z06 interior is much nicer IMO accept I love my Recaro seats.
As far as instant torque, that's a big problem with the MR. The turbo spools up lots of boost by 2500rpms, but you get a 4cyl. until the boost gets flowing. I like to drive the TA for that feeling.
The Evo has awesome, fade free, Brembo brakes, but yeah, nothing stops in the snow unless it has snow tires. It is so easy to control a slide with my all season tires and AWD that I don't mind slush anymore.
Reliability remains to be seen I guess. Definitely lots going on with the 3 diffs and everything under this car.
Thanks for the point of view, not sorry I asked at all.
I was going to find a Z06 and then I drove this car and was realy impressed. I needed to get rid of my GTP I had so I traded it in for the MR. I just can't help feeling like the Z06 would have been better suited to my style(comfort and power and handling). Then I listen to you guys talk about your cars and think, man they sure seem awed by the Z06 even long after they bought them!
Old 04-20-2005, 03:34 PM
darknight
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JiminVirginia
I haven't driven an Evo MR, but I used to own a modded Supra Turbo.

My impression is that dollar for dollar, it is easier to record substantial performance gains with a turbo because of the opportunities afforded by a boost controller, higher capacity FMIC, downpipe, exhaust, and either an air flow converter or a remappped ECU. When guys do this with the Supra, they often get an additional 80-90 hp for about $2K in parts. For the Evo, I would think you could do almost as well in percentage terms. To get the equivalent horspower boost for a ZO6, you'd have to turbo charge or supercharge the LS6--pretty expensive.

I hear you about the warranty issue, though.

And I sold the Supra and got my ZO6 partly because of the emissions hassle: the ZO6 is good in OEM form with cats. That convinced me.
You got it right with the mods. I can get 80-90whp for $3K installed. They actually do these mods and sell them at a dealer in Ohio now with the warranty. They didn't have these when I got mine though. The company says it retains stock comfort until you hit the gas, then it delivers the new power very smoothly. I just think that sounds to easy.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:45 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

You got it right with the mods. I can get 80-90whp for $3K installed. They actually do these mods and sell them at a dealer in Ohio now with the warranty. They didn't have these when I got mine though. The company says it retains stock comfort until you hit the gas, then it delivers the new power very smoothly. I just think that sounds to easy.
Yes, it's too easy, you're right. The engine gets peakier and louder.

My Supra sounded like an F-15, sucking in the air, blow off valve making really loud offensive noises, even at sedate speeds. The power WUMP was awesome up high, but the ZO6 is just way smoother.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:46 PM
darknight
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BlackSheepZ06
Brett is that you? Anyway, this is Jeff. I think you should keep the MR because you have the AWD and can enjoy the car all year round. You can keep the WS6 and throw a little more money at that car and make it faster yet if that is what you desire. But having two fast rear wheel drive cars in Chicago is useless. With that said, I love my Z06 and would take a Z06 over an EVO MR, but with your situation it is different. I think if you got a better trade in on the WS6 for a Z06 that would be the way to go. A Z06 and an EVO MR. The best domestic and the best import. Good Luck with your decision. Either way you still have some bad azz cars.
Hey Jeff, I figured you'd see this and guess who it is pretty quick. The TA is fast enough, I just don't really drive it enough. I think that had I just gotten a Z06, like I originally wanted to, that I would have the daily driver that I really want. I love the MR, but I read posts on here and see how impressed these guys are with the power and finesse(sp) of the Z06. The turbo lag, and crappy stock clutch are getting to me I guess. I think a new clutch would be the best thing and then the mods I mentioned above. It's just that I don't want another modded car, I want a fully warrantied daily driver. Do me a favor and by the TA off me so I can get a Z06! By the way, I was up at S&S a couple times in the MR last weekend, but didn't see you guys.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:53 PM
darknight
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JiminVirginia
Yes, it's too easy, you're right. The engine gets peakier and louder.

My Supra sounded like an F-15, sucking in the air, blow off valve making really loud offensive noises, even at sedate speeds. The power WUMP was awesome up high, but the ZO6 is just way smoother.
Yeah, that's what I kinda expect to happen. The same car until up high, then whoosh...see ya. They use a 3" catback, keep the stock cat, and use a 2.5" DP. The catback has a Magnaflow muffler. They say the car is almost the same noise level as stock since they keep the cat. At least you had a 6cyl until your turbo kicked in though!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:30 PM
BlackSheepZ06
Instructor

Yeah, 2 modded cars = money pit, but I guarantee that even if you owned a Z06 you would mod that also. It's in our blood. You have to do what you really want to do. You only live once and if its not a financial issue (which I know its not for you) than get the Z06. But you better put a few grand aside for a winter beater.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:55 AM
darknight
Heel & Toe

Yeah, 2 modded cars = money pit, but I guarantee that even if you owned a Z06 you would mod that also. It's in our blood. You have to do what you really want to do. You only live once and if its not a financial issue (which I know its not for you) than get the Z06. But you better put a few grand aside for a winter beater.
Your right, I would mod the Z06 too. I was actually thinking about it today. I need to find someone to trade the TA for thier Z06 for a week so I can see if I like it.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:54 AM
2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Drifting

You spent 50k and it only runs 11s.......
Old 04-22-2005, 02:55 AM
darknight
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
You spent 50k and it only runs 11s.......
Well, the car was 32K. Then I spent about 18K in mods and installation(yes, I'm lazy and I have more money than patience ). Keep in mind I spent about 3K of the mods money on rims, tires, and other non performance items.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:44 PM
BlackSheepZ06
Instructor

Your right, I would mod the Z06 too. I was actually thinking about it today. I need to find someone to trade the TA for thier Z06 for a week so I can see if I like it.
Don't get any ideas about borrowing mine for a week. Plus its not a good comparision since mine is not even close to stock. I guess then you would REALLY want one.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:44 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Keep the mitsubishi under the warranty whatever you do..

100K mile warranty is cool..

Do any mod that keeps that warranty intact...(you'll be glad you did down the road)

As far as a Z06 vs. T/A? Keep the T/A a few years or sell it now...

Then wait a year (year and a half) or so for a private sale 2002 Z06.

As the second year C6 Z06 rolls out. you'll have your pick on C5 Z06's if you still want one.

JMO
Old 04-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Scoundrl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totaly different cars for totaly different people. My buddy has en Evo and loves it, I think it handles to well and you don't get to have any "fun" breaking things loose. I love the feeling of being a little squirly outa the turns and it keeps me honest. If you got more money than time though, I'd wait on the 06 Z06, that cars is gonna ROCK!

-Ken

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone driven a Mitsubishi Evolution MR yet?

Old 04-23-2005, 04:35 PM
pb24dagrk
Pro

personally, nothing about evos gets me excited

even highly modded ones that run 11's, meh...i can't get over their looks (spoiler, body, 4 doors, 4 cylinders)...for some reason when i think of an evo, i picture a tall skinny 17 year old kid with pimples, baggy pants and baggy shirt, with a bright yellow visor worn backwards while every other word is "yo dawgg"
Old 04-23-2005, 08:38 PM
darknight
Heel & Toe

Don't get any ideas about borrowing mine for a week. Plus its not a good comparision since mine is not even close to stock. I guess then you would REALLY want one.
Oh well, there goes my next question. I really need to get ahold of a bone stock one to see what it's like. I've ridden in a couple but never driven them. I see such different times posted for them. Some run 12.5's and others run 12.0's in the 1320. I wonder if it's just do to weather and traction, or if some are really that much quicker. Do the different years make a difference? They all seem to handle at around .95G's.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:40 PM
darknight
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Keep the mitsubishi under the warranty whatever you do..

100K mile warranty is cool..

Do any mod that keeps that warranty intact...(you'll be glad you did down the road)

As far as a Z06 vs. T/A? Keep the T/A a few years or sell it now...

Then wait a year (year and a half) or so for a private sale 2002 Z06.

As the second year C6 Z06 rolls out. you'll have your pick on C5 Z06's if you still want one.

JMO
Hey, great point about the C6 Z06 coming out. That should open up a few options.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone driven a Mitsubishi Evolution MR yet?