Sponsored by:

Here's why you change your own oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:51 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Here's why you change your own oil.

Getting ready for a trip to Memphis so I thought I'd give it a once over and and oil change.

So I put it up on stands and was under it changing the oil. I'd unplugged the oil drain and was waiting for it to finish draining. While I was down there, I was just looking around and....now that looks weird. Why is that piece of metal hanging down? Because there's a hole in one end with nothing in it, that's why. THAT'S MY FREAKING LEAF SPRING CLAMP!!!

Yep, one clamp was just about off altogether. The bolt holding it on could be turned by hand and the other clamp was just about as bad.

Gotta go to the Chevy store tomorrow for one little bolt, but no big deal.

Wonder if the guys at "Jiffy Lube" would've noticed that?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Poptops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You saved yourself countless headaches on that one!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 PM
loudsam
Burning Brakes

That's the way I feel!! I want to SEE what's under there! And, I don't want some "ding-dong" working on my car. I want to KNOW what's actually going into it, and not rely on what someone says they're putting in it.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:33 PM
snide
Team Owner

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Prolly not.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:41 PM
steve badalamenti
Melting Slicks

Not only would the characters at "Quickie Lube" not have noticed it, they might even have CAUSED it !

My buddy took his new van in once for an oil change. Well, their "ten-point" check sshowed the brake fluid was low.....so they topped it off..... with
engine oil.

A few days later my pal's wife went sailing thru a busy intersection with no brakes, due to the petroleum-based engine oil eating the rubber seals in the brake system...... She didn't hit anything, but it took him over a year to squeeze the $900 buck repair bill out of them.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:41 PM
INaband
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

When I put on my bullets, one sway bar link had the bolts backed out and one clip was gone! So now it's fixed, I from time to time look underneath for this reason,...........
Old 04-19-2005, 12:11 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:13 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Getting ready for a trip to Memphis so I thought I'd give it a once over and and oil change.

So I put it up on stands and was under it changing the oil. I'd unplugged the oil drain and was waiting for it to finish draining. While I was down there, I was just looking around and....now that looks weird. Why is that piece of metal hanging down? Because there's a hole in one end with nothing in it, that's why. THAT'S MY FREAKING LEAF SPRING CLAMP!!!

Yep, one clamp was just about off altogether. The bolt holding it on could be turned by hand and the other clamp was just about as bad.

Did you use the jack pads? Are they really necessary? What if you had taken it to Jiffy Lube would they use some sort of pads?
Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfred
Did you use the jack pads? Are they really necessary? What if you had taken it to Jiffy Lube would they use some sort of pads?

Jiffy lube has a pit... the "ding dong" (I didn't say that) in under the car in the pit so they don't have to jack the car up.... therefore no need for jacking pucks!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:28 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Even if you don't change the oil yourself you should still get under there from time to time....
Old 04-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good catch. You're right about the benefits of changing your own oil - I give the underside of my car a good look over at each oil change.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good Catch Jack. a big part of changing your own oil is to take the time to look and inspect the underside of your car. Look UP into the radiator and remove any debris and crap that may have gotten up there.

i see guys with plastic bags draging from under their vettes all the time. too lazy to get down and LOOK I guess.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:42 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AND....they can't strip your oil pan drain plug hole and claim it was that way when they got it!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by pewter99
Even if you don't change the oil yourself you should still get under there from time to time....
There's nothing better than doing it yourself.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:13 AM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock Man
There's nothing better than doing it yourself.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:17 AM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

I'm getting more comfortable jacking up my car and putting it up on stands every time I do it, so this is one thing I may have to start doing on the regular. I know I need to clean the debris out of my radiator.

I still haven't gotten the ***** to lay under the car yet, as all the work I've had to do has been on the brakes, but it's something I'm going to have to do, especially since you found loose parts hanging down!

BTW, Stock Man, your avatar inspired my photography after my brake upgrade! See sig...
Old 04-19-2005, 10:41 AM
D.K.
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

i see guys with plastic bags draging from under their vettes all the time. too lazy to get down and LOOK I guess.

I know what u mean. I try to miss those pesky plastic bags flying around the road. If I can't avoid one I always look back to see if I picked one up. I cannot stand to be driving around with a plastic bag hanging off my ride. It reminds me of somebody walking out of a restroom unaware that tissue is stuck to the bottom of their shoe. It just looks retarded.
DISCLAIMER: No offense to the mentally challenged.

Get notified of new replies

To Here's why you change your own oil.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:09 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its good that you caught that with your own eye. But with the exception of the most recent oil change, I actually go to a Jiffy Lube near my house who treat me well. Its the dealer that you have to watch out for. I bring my own Mobil 1 synthetic to JLube and they charge me like $26 to do the change which includes the filter.

They also let me go downstairs into the pit area to watch and inspect.
Most chevy dealers dont want you near the car when they are working on it.

BTW, The first time Jiffy Lube changed my oil (my very first oil change) they actually caught a Tranny leak and notified me of it. I then took it into the dealer the next day.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:35 AM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT
Its good that you caught that with your own eye. But with the exception of the most recent oil change, I actually go to a Jiffy Lube near my house who treat me well. Its the dealer that you have to watch out for. I bring my own Mobil 1 synthetic to JLube and they charge me like $26 to do the change which includes the filter.

They also let me go downstairs into the pit area to watch and inspect.
Most chevy dealers dont want you near the car when they are working on it.

BTW, The first time Jiffy Lube changed my oil (my very first oil change) they actually caught a Tranny leak and notified me of it. I then took it into the dealer the next day.
haha yeah that's so true about dealers. i took it to my local dealer once to get some warranty work and figured i'd let them do an oil change. they said i couldn't be in the garage but they put a chair out infront of the glass door next to it so i could watch. now i understand insurance liabilities and all but cmon.. just tell the customer to stand far enough away and not to touch anything. the first time he screws up he goes bye bye. Every local 'shop' i've been to lets me crawl underneath the lift and give them a hand if i want.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:42 AM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

I'm lucky. My dealer has two techs that are terrific and very experienced with Corvettes. I trust them and they have never let me down. When you find a dealer you can trust, stay with them even if it cost you a little extra.

Quick Reply: Here's why you change your own oil.