Sponsored by:

Entrapment? You decide......

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Entrapment? You decide......

It was a beautiful day and once again the exotic car show was facinating. I met a coworker there and before he left he suggested that I pop the top and cruise along Highway 101, which hugs the coastline and offers breathtaking views. I did notice that a couple of police officers were hanging around the area, seemingly waiting for anyone to "display some speed". However, I wasn't about to go peeling out of the parking lot anyway, so I wasn't too worried.

Since I was unfamiliar with the area, I listened carefully as my coworker instructed me to go into town, pull a u-turn and head back through the beach communities. Unfortunately, as I headed down the street, the local's finest headed down the same path, but quite a distance behind. As I approached the beach area I did notice that a car up ahead of me suddenly hit his brakes and slowed quite a bit; he did so on a very wide highway-type road that was separated from the beach road by a solid divide. There were no driveways, or anything else connecting to this roadway.

Unfortunately for me, there was also a sudden drop in speed limit from something above 50 to 35 MPH. I was intently watching for a light that allowed a u-turn and didn't notice flashing lights following me. To make a long story short, I pulled into a parking lot to turn around and noticed the cop behind me. He pulled me over and the conversation went something like this:

Cop: When did you notice my car?
Me: On the other side of the parking lot.
Cop: Didn't you see my lights out there on the road?
Me: No, I heard your siren and that's when I pulled over.
Cop: Well, here's what happened: I was following a different car that was traveling much faster than you were. All of a sudden, he slowed down and that's when I noticed your car. Although you were driving slower than he was, I noticed that after clocking you, your speed was over the limit. Why didn't you see the 35 MPH sign?
Me: I was looking for a safe place to turn around so I could head back. My eyes were scanning the scene far ahead of anything at the side of the road.
Cop: Well, I'm going to have to give you a ticket for speeding. You should always monitor speed limit signs.
Me: I'm not from this area and I was focusing on finding a place to turn around. Hasn't that ever happened to you?
Cop: I'm no going to argue about it; just give me your license, etc...

If any of you could see this road, you'd know that it was set up as a speed trap. Picture a slightly-curving super-wide road that could be taken at 120 MPH in a road race. Now picture a 35 MPH sign on the far right side!

Why don't we just contribute to the city coffers and yank these cops off the stalking beats? They get their money and we don't have to deal with bored speed spies!!!!

...end of vent....
Old 03-27-2005, 06:28 PM
KHM_70
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Setup with an unmarked car?
Entirely possible.

sounds like
Nice friendly community
Old 03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Rob'sC5
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05

although I agree that it appears to be a trap.......considering the situation, he has every right to give you the ticket for speeding. However, I think your polite behavior and honesty should have netted you a warning and nothing more
Old 03-27-2005, 06:41 PM
3RD-INF
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why didn't the nice officer pull the first guy over? I'm thinking you got profiled.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:50 PM
AR8007
Racer

Total BS!! I wish cops would spend more time catching crooks and stop giving out revenue tickets, here in WA state since we voted out our ridiculously over priced License Tabs TAX all cops do are sit in speed traps no one gets a break anymore, the other day I got a ticket on the Freeway for 65 in a 60 $71 and I was flowing with traffic Total B@#!$H I think tickets should only be given to people that cause accidents and all those slow a$$ drivers that cause traffic jams!!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Iron Chef
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09
CI 8-9-10 Veteran

In my opinion, anything but a clear-cut violation is designed to fill the city coffers.

I got a ticket in Irving, Texas on the way to work one morning. I paid the $110 (8 mph over the limit in a mini-van) and moved on. I also stopped eating breakfast and lunch there. I stopped buying gas there. I also put an end to having local businesses cater meals for visiting clients. I went to vendors outside of Irving for our groundskeeping and all other services for the company. And I made sure that they all knew why I did it too.

So you see, there are ways to make a city pay for its' stupidity. They may have nailed me for $110, but I've effectively taken thousands out of their pockets. No wonder the Cowboys are moving!

It's good to be king.

Last edited by Iron Chef; 03-27-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:54 PM
speedfreek155
Burning Brakes

Almost did it today myself . I was leaving Cape May,NJ w/a buddy in the car and I gave it a little goose through the gears , I was approaching a bridge an backed off , my buddy says "don't back off" and I said "no you never know whats on the other side of the bridge" . Wouldn't you know it as I reached the crest of the bridge and look ahead FIVE 0 . How lucky was that ? Sorry about your ticket .
Old 03-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3RD-INF
Why didn't the nice officer pull the first guy over? I'm thinking you got profiled.
I agree!! Give a minimum wage jack azz a uniform and a badge and he thinks he God!! Probably didn't even have a high school education.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:55 PM
turbosupra18
Racer

It depends on each cop but I think most would've let you off with a warning since u were from out of town.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:59 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by AR8007
Total BS!! I wish cops would spend more time catching crooks and stop giving out revenue tickets, here in WA state since we voted out our ridiculously over priced License Tabs TAX all cops do are sit in speed traps no one gets a break anymore, the other day I got a ticket on the Freeway for 65 in a 60 $71 and I was flowing with traffic Total B@#!$H I think tickets should only be given to people that cause accidents and all those slow a$$ drivers that cause traffic jams!!!!!

Hey AR8007:
Did you see the Seattle Times (or was it the PI) article about how the State Patrol are starting to focus on "aggressive drivers" in an attempt to cut down on those aggresive dirving incidents?

Accordinig to the article, any combination of multiple lane-changes, speeding, following another car too closely, flashing headlights, etc. will get the quick attention of the patrol.

This should mean that what you went through, simply doing 5 over (assuming you were doing none of the other) will no longer result in a ticket.

We'll see.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:04 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by CombatVette
Setup with an unmarked car?
Entirely possible.

sounds like
Nice friendly community
Yup, I agree. Sounds like another citizen wrongly accused.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

There has to be a "reduce speed sign" before a change in the speed Limit, on a major highway. this gives you two opportunities to slow down... not obeying the speed limit signs is reason for a ticket. If you were doing 50 in a 35 zone, then he was doing his job and you were wrong. If there was no reduce speed sign between the 50 and the 30 then your off the hook.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
There has to be a "reduce speed sign" before a change in the speed Limit, on a major highway. this gives you two opportunities to slow down... not obeying the speed limit signs is reason for a ticket. If you were doing 50 in a 35 zone, then he was doing his job and you were wrong. If there was no reduce speed sign between the 50 and the 30 then your off the hook.
got a link??..places around here don't do that
Old 03-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Dave68
Race Director

I should've checked behind me when the first guy slowed down so quickly, but I honestly would never think that the speed limit would drop so suddenly on a road that wide. Back many years ago when I spent one year living in a beach community, I learned that cops get bored to the point when they they will find ANY reason to pull someone over. I once got pulled over because the officer thought my license was suspended.

The way I look at this last incident is that a warning would've been enough to slow me down if I ever decided to return. If the cops don't issue warnings for violators who are a) out of town residents and b) are not used to unreasonably low posted speed limits on highway-like roads, then to me, they are using a "speedtrap" to generate income for the city coffers, plain and simple.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I also want to reiterate the fact that the police were hovering around the exotic car show. This is like their hanging out around a major night club on New Year's day morning - plenty of fish to catch as they leave the meeting place!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:21 PM
KHM_70
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Grumpy
got a link??..places around here don't do that
Actually places around here, Arnolds kingdom, do that.

Maybe "the collar" missed that sign too.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:27 PM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's about money, not safety.

Get notified of new replies

To Entrapment? You decide......

Old 03-27-2005, 07:30 PM
BeastieBoys21
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Not all cops are, but this one sounds like a real A$$HOLE!!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Poptops
Burning Brakes

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. :yestnod:
Old 03-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Entrapment = coercing/enticing you to do something illegal, that you may not have normally done.

When does the entrapment part come?

So far, all I've read so far is that someone was speeding, admitted to speeding, and got a speeding ticket.

Take it to court, and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Entrapment? You decide......