Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase C5...Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:58 PM
FirmCamaro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to purchase C5...Advice Needed

We've been looking for a new car and narrowed down our choices to a C5 Corvette or a Porsche Boxster....The Corvette we've been looking at is a triple black convertible(2000) with aprox. 63,000km(around 40K+ in miles)it's also automatic.....We're new to C5's so I need a little advice....Firstly how much should we expect to pay for this car(dealer is open to offers) keep in mind we're live in Toronto Canada so this is in Canadian Funds......I also have a few more specific questions...I noticed a dial in front of the centre console with three different rides to select from, what exactly does this do???Also I assume the button beside that is to toggle traction control on and off??? I've heard some of these car are equiped with run flat tires..do they all have this???are they effective??Is there an available removable hardtop option for the convertables???
Is there anything in particular we should look for when buying a C5?
I am sure I'll have many more questions as we progress

Thanks
Zack
Old 03-22-2005, 09:37 PM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

Hi Zack - let me take a shot...

Firstly how much should we expect to pay for this car(dealer is open to offers) keep in mind we're live in Toronto Canada so this is in Canadian Funds
Down here that would be in the 25K range, but I'll let the Canadians spek up here - it is not just a straight conversion, demand and supply also play a part in your market

I noticed a dial in front of the centre console with three different rides to select from, what exactly does this do??? It allows you to vary the stiffness of the suspension

Also I assume the button beside that is to toggle traction control on and off??? Yup

I've heard some of these car are equiped with run flat tires..do they all have this???are they effective?? Most come that way(except for Z06s) - look for EMT on the sidewall. I like the safety of run flats, but there are better performing tires too that do not come in run flat versions.

Is there an available removable hardtop option for the convertables???
Yup - aftermarket, but I think it is expensive

Is there anything in particular we should look for when buying a C5?Nothhing too unique to a Corvette, mainly the usual engine/tranny/condition/etc. If you can get the VIN and post it, someone can pull the service history for it.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:35 PM
VetteObsessed
Intermediate

As far as pricing goes, I would check out the for sale forum as well as AutoTrader - there are a couple thousand to choose from. Any other questions about C5's can be answered by searching the forum - thats how I learned most of what I know.

The selective ride is called Selective Real Time Damping so you can search for that or I think the option code is F45.

Good luck, I doubt anyone on this forum will try and shy you away from a C5.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:42 PM
FirmCamaro
Intermediate

Thanks alot for your responses....I've looked at the Canadian auto trader and the absolute cheapest convertible is at 37,000 CDN(a 1999 with high mileage) but that is all I've got to go by on price so far. ptdrummer you're right about the demand affecting cost so given that I live in a highly populated(but cold) area I guess that makes a substancial difference in price....Iam sure I'll have lots more questions to come so I'll keep you posted
Thanks again!
Zack
Old 03-23-2005, 03:55 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Camaro, first of all, Welcome to the forum! This place alone makes getting a Vette worth it. Spend some time looking at threads here and ask as much as you like. There is so much to know. Second, I've driven the BoxsterS and to me there is no real comparison between the two. Third, I also live in a cold climate with less than the average amounts of convertibles. Do yourself a big favor and look at the ads here in CF and places like autotrader.com. A few years back when we were looking for a used Sebring convertible I happened to punch in the zip code for West Palm Beach in the autotrader site with a 100 mile search radius. I couldn't believe how many were down there! On top of that the prices were thousands below what the same car in NY would cost. I flew down there for $100 one way (your Aircanada is cheap) and spent 3 days before I found the perfect car. No doubt that I saved $4000 US.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,441 Likes on 14,050 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I think your questions have been answered, but good luck with your search. IMO, the Corvette is a much better car than the Boxter.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck finding the right new ride!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:06 PM
uknowme2good
Burning Brakes

Buy the Vette.....if your not buying a 911 its not really a porsch..plus..all of your candian friends will love to see a America car so far noth..
Old 03-23-2005, 09:34 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
I think your questions have been answered, but good luck with your search. IMO, the Corvette is a much better car than the Boxter.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to purchase C5...Advice Needed

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase C5...Advice Needed