Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Son wants the Vette for the prom?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:59 AM
slammedwhitec5vert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depend on your son if he is mature then maybe, if not no way!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:58 AM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by joeking
Should I let my son who just turned 18 take my car to the school prom and have it overnight? He said he would have it back in the morning sometime.

Joeking---you have over 8 pages of fellow CF member opinions on your question....Now, whats your opinion????
Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 AM
BowtieDiva70
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BiggieBoy
Joeking---you have over 8 pages of fellow CF member opinions on your question....Now, whats your opinion????

Old 03-22-2005, 08:43 AM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

I have two sons (18 and 22) and three sisters that want to drive my Vette. I told them I would let them drive it after some "instruction". Not only can I show them how everything works, but I can get a better idea how they drive. So far only one son has taken me up on this offer. I have no problem with certain people driving it as long as they know how. Some people don't even know how to work the power seats.

My 18 yo son graduates this year and I will let him use my car after a short talk. Of course, there is no guarantee that something could happen, but that's true with life. I also will let him know I can check the speed (window valet) but I trust him to do what's right -
Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
GTSLN97
Instructor

It all depends on your son. When I was in highschool my dad let me take his vette to prom, I was so worried I drove slower and more carefull then I usually drive. If you have no reason not to trust him, let him drive it. He is insured right? If he messes up, no more vette for him.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:11 PM
johneboy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by pcfred
NO!!! Your son could be responsible and fairly mature, BUT. . .he's going to be around other teenagers that aren't mature OR responsible and unfortunately some of them will compound that with drinking so anything can happen. I would look into renting a vette for that night, it may cost a few hundred (get all the insurance options) but he'll be happy and you don't have to risk yours.

Um, I think most people would be more concerned with the safe arrival of thier child, then thier vette. This makes it sound like it would be OK for the kid to be in an accident, SO long as it isn't you car?

With that said, I'm letting my brother borrow my vette for his prom this year.

Of course, he will be bringing it back before he heads out to the "after parties"
Old 03-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should I let my son who just turned 18 take my car to the school prom and have it overnight? He said he would have it back in the morning sometime.
If your son can drive the car and knows what you expect, it can definitely be a memory that he looks upon many years from now... You know your son... I'd almost let him take it out ahead of time to get some of the excitement toned down...
Old 03-22-2005, 05:11 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks everyone for the gracious replies. After some thought I have decided to say no. Because 1. The power could prove dangerous and if he were hurt I would never forgive myself. 2. Some things should be earned
through hard work. 3. You say "yes" once and you will probably be asked many other times. 4. I would have a difficult time sleeping at night until the car came back since I am not independantly wealthy. 5. Even though
my son would be careful with the car it still could be vandalized. After all, I am somewhat worried if I park the car out of eyesight. 6. He still has many years of earning power to buy his own Corvette. There are some regrets to saying no and hopefully I have not discouraged a future
Corvette owner. Thanks again everyone, I really enjoyed the replies and
this forum is certainly a great place to "hang out."
Old 03-22-2005, 06:26 PM
98NassauBluC5
Pro

You know, I wanted to take my sister's boyfriend's '03 Z06 to prom last year. He totally D*cked me over by no answer what-so-ever. It wasn't cool man. This year I have myself my coupe, so in his ****. I tell ya, if the Vette is a manual, MAKE SURE he can drive it with that tight @$$ clutch. If it's an auto. like mine, tell him it's a responsibility to live up to. We 18 year olds aren't all nuts behind the wheel.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:39 PM
99Sebring
Advanced

When my son graduated in 2003 my wife made me let him take my 1992 red/red coupe. He told his date to wear a red dress, but didn't tell her why and he wore a white tux with red bowtie. I told him he could put 50 miles on the Corvette max and he ended up only putting 36 miles on it. I was very proud of him that night, but didn't get any sleep until they got home. It is a judgement call. I don't think I would let my younger son drive it alone though.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:12 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

That 50 mile limit is a good idea 99 Pewter Coupe. I might let him take it after all.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:30 PM
cdibi
Advanced

When I went to my prom (about 19 years ago) my father let me take his 928. It was the first time he let me drive it. I was fairly nervous and drove cautiously. The deal I made with him was that I would drive it to the pre partys and the Prom and have it back before going back out afterwards, thus there would be no drinking issues. It was worth staying sober during the prom for the privilege of driving the car!

It depends on how much you trust your son. I would worry more about your son than the car. It is only a car which can be replaced, your son can't.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Well, your gonna have fluid stains on the seats and its not gonna be from drinks!!.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Good kid I would be nervous about the overnight part though, I know its just a car but worse things can happen that a fender bender. On second thought I would rent a limo.

Darion

Old 03-22-2005, 10:09 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I told my son tonight that he could take the car to the prom.
He said that it really meant a lot to him and he would be very careful with it. He is a really good kid and I will have to trust him. I said there would be some stipulations as far as mileage and I also said I would like it back in the garage by a certain time. It was a tough decision but I think everything will be ok. If not, "better luck next time baby."
Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:14 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

What date is the prom? We want a full update the following day.
BTW- Good luck to your son. Post some pics of the happy couple too.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:17 PM
kmtaxcpa
Intermediate

I believe you made the right choice. I'm 50 my son is 16, he knows I love him and how much I baby the vet. He is very responsible and when he asks for the vet for prom night, it will be a tough decision but I believe I'll let him.

Get notified of new replies

To Son wants the Vette for the prom?

Old 03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
TAGVETTE
Racer

I didn't read the entire thread, but I think that stangkiller is right. It's a maturity thing. However, maturity or not, without good experience on the roads, especially in today's environment, a vette COULD get an inexperienced person in alot of trouble. And quick!!!

It's just a car. I'd be really more concerned about him coming home in one piece. The car can be replaced.

Rent the limo. $.02 deposited.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
mcronec5
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Come on if I was 17 and going to the prom (IN A VETTE) I would talk about the night for the rest of my life. I wish my dad had a Vette in 92. I drove my 79 Monte Carlo T-top. Let the kid take the Vette. You won't regret it. However, Do tell him he will die if anything happens to it!!! Your son will appreciate it!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:27 PM
F1_SS
Burning Brakes

1. Get the window vallet that way you know how fast he drove the car

2. If you want to become a grandparent in about 9 monhts then give him the keys.

3. If you feel ok giving him the keys to be an unguided missle then.....

Quick Reply: Son wants the Vette for the prom?