Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a blow out today-need tires!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:36 PM
BigTMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a blow out today-need tires!

Had my first blow out in 30 years today on my Vette. Picked up a huge piece of metal. My tires were getting to the point of needing replaced so I am ready for a new set. This 2003 AE is my first Vette so I don't have alot of experience with the different tires. I also know that someone will "dead horse" me cause tires have been dicussed before. But bear with me, I do the wave!!

If it was only me driving the car I would buy the non runflats. I can deal with a flat. But my wife and kids also drive it and that makes me lean towards runflats. But I hate the slipperyness of the GY's at 15K miles. It sounds like the Pilot ZP tires would still be a big improvement over the GY and still be a run flat. Any comments?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:51 PM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

First comment is tell us more about what happened, especially what type of tires were you on and how did they (and the car) handle the blowout?

Now with that behind us, in runflats there are GYs, Firestones, Michelins and Kumhos. In non runflats the field is wide open.

The ratings I see suggest that all 3 of the non OE tires are quieter, smoother riding, do better in wet conditions (sometimes even snow)and (to varying degrees) seem to handle as well as, or slightly better or worse than the GYs! I did see some suggestions that they all wore better and worse than the others. Helpful, isn't it?

Price wise it looks like the Kumhos are least expensive followed by the Firestones, then the Michelins and our much beloved GYs at the high end.

Hib Halverson wrote an article on the runflat market as of a few years back - he came to the conclusion that for many reasons the best choice for the average type 'spirited' driving most people do in a Corvette was the GYs. There are, of course, differing opinions on that conclusion.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ptdrummer54
First comment is tell us more about what happened, especially what type of tires were you on and how did they (and the car) handle the blowout?

Now with that behind us, in runflats there are GYs, Firestones, Michelins and Kumhos. In non runflats the field is wide open.

The ratings I see suggest that all 3 of the non OE tires are quieter, smoother riding, do better in wet conditions (sometimes even snow)and (to varying degrees) seem to handle as well as, or slightly better or worse than the GYs! I did see some suggestions that they all wore better and worse than the others. Helpful, isn't it?

Price wise it looks like the Kumhos are least expensive followed by the Firestones, then the Michelins and our much beloved GYs at the high end.

Hib Halverson wrote an article on the runflat market as of a few years back - he came to the conclusion that for many reasons the best choice for the average type 'spirited' driving most people do in a Corvette was the GYs. There are, of course, differing opinions on that conclusion.

I have tested and run damn near max or ultra performance tire on the planet including the runflats.. The kumho is the best of the bunch in dry performance as far as im concerned.. I cant wait for the GY "Supercar's" to burn up so i can replace them with some PS2's or something.. but if you want to go RF go Kumho.. its an excellent tire.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:30 AM
BigTMan
Instructor

In answer to how the car handled the blowout. My car has 15K miles on her. GY runflats. I was cutting hard between to semis to get to my exit. As soon as I hit the exit my tires blew instantly. No change to handling! I actually could barely feel a thing! That was pretty inpressive. Before yesterday I was sold on getting non runflats. But as I said with my kids driving it some, I am having second thoughts.

I think if I had been running straight the metal would not have sliced the tire open, I would have just run over it. But from looking at it, I think that because I was in a hard turn, it sliced in from the side.

No drama, but I wonder if there would have been drama with sa non run flat.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Well this is the first blow out I have heard about here. Nails and such are pretty common with slow leaks. Well the runflats did their job.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,382 Likes on 14,023 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've got a set of the Firestones and they are much better than the Goodyears, at least in terms of handling, ride, road noise, etc. They don't have the range of the Goodyears when run with zero pressure, but to me that wasn't a huge concern.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Humy
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Nitto 555s, felt like a new car when I put them on. I may have avoided an accident if I had got them sooner .
Old 03-17-2005, 06:27 PM
98vert6spd
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

everyone always bashes the oem GYs
think of it this way

just about any tire you test will look like **** if you test it when its worn out and compare it with the new tires you just put on

GM wouldnt have put the Gy EMTs on there if they were horrible

I constantly hear about GY sucvks this and that

but dont forget Gy makes the GSD3 which is a sweet tire
Old 03-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

After all the reviews I've read, I'm going with Michelin Pilot Sport zero pressures when my GYears wear out.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:19 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Does anyone care to chime in about the ability to repair runflats? Which ones can? Which can't? I have read so much info on tires I am more confused then ever. I am letting my dog pick the tire now by peeing on whichever one he thinks we should get.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:56 PM
jdperk
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on my second set of GY EMTs. Probably will replace these with GY EMTs.

I have read somewhere in this forum that only GY and Michelins are repairable when a nail is removed all others have to be replaced.

I have had several nails and had the EMTs repaired.

I think the GYs run great and have great traction but I am not a very aggressive driver. I haven't run any other tire to compair any other parameter with like road noise, ride, ect....
Old 03-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,561 Likes on 531 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You let your kids drive your vette! PROPS TO YOU!!! and if you wants RFs go with the Kumhos
Old 03-18-2005, 12:34 AM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 98vert6spd
everyone always bashes the oem GYs
think of it this way

just about any tire you test will look like **** if you test it when its worn out and compare it with the new tires you just put on

GM wouldnt have put the Gy EMTs on there if they were horrible

I constantly hear about GY sucvks this and that

but dont forget Gy makes the GSD3 which is a sweet tire
... ok your posting privileges have been revoked.

they're crappy from the start ... i will take my worn out dunlops over the worn out runcraps anyday of any week.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Neablas
... ok your posting privileges have been revoked.

they're crappy from the start ... i will take my worn out dunlops over the worn out runcraps anyday of any week.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:02 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Take a look at the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S ZP's. I had them on my 99 coupe and loved them. They also come with an impressive 2 year warranty. That surprised me when I read the owners manual. Every other tire offer's a one year warranty.

Tom
Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 AM
BigTMan
Instructor

How do the Pilots look on the car?

Get notified of new replies

To Had a blow out today-need tires!

Quick Reply: Had a blow out today-need tires!