Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you SIRIUS? (satellite radio)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Prosecutor
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Are you SIRIUS? (satellite radio)

Disclaimer: Although this is borderline, I consider this a Vette related post. I am seeking tips, instruction and commentary regarding Sirius installation with regard to the particularities of the Vette's interior.

I spend a lot of time on the road, so my wonderful wife bought me Sirius Satellite Radio tonight. Is anyone else using this? Any thoughts? Mounting suggestions for installation in the Vette? Like most here, I don't want to screw up my interior with adhesive and space is limited.

Where are you guys putting the receiver? How did you route the antenna? The manual suggests mounting the antenna on the roof and running the wires under rubber window seals. I don't want leaks and don't want the antenna to stay outside...right at prime vandalism level. Has anyone mounted the antenna on the inside roof near the hatch?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: As careful as I was to keep this within the confines if "Vette stuff", I realize now that I should have put this in the tech forum. I have learned my lesson...please don't beat me.

Last edited by Prosecutor; 03-04-2005 at 10:06 PM. Reason: I am an idiot...
Old 03-04-2005, 10:08 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

I've seen a couple of posts on Sirius, but you may have more sucess posting under "General Corvette - Audio" Good luck with the install.

PS: Loved the disclaimer.....
Old 03-04-2005, 10:11 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sirus! The model will determine what you can get away with for location.

My antenna is under my carpet in the center of the 'upper area trunk'
Old 03-04-2005, 10:20 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

checkout this thread.

Sirius install

Old 03-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Prosecutor
Le Mans Master

Thanks. I solved one of my two problems. First, was where to mount the antenna. I clipped it to the visor and hid the wire in the weather stripping down the driver's side and in gaps in the dash. The second problem is unresolved...I have nowhere to mount the bracket and receiver.

I am using the detachable receiver that can go in the car or in the "boom box". Any tips on placement of the detachable receiver would be welcome. The Vette dash doesn't have enough flat area to mount the bracket
Old 03-05-2005, 12:53 AM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I mounted my Sirius Sportster (I believe thats the one you have) using an Arkon 15" flexible gooseneck mount (at Arkon.com) that attaches under the front right seat mounting bolt. Installation of the mount (not counting the **** way I ran the wires) took about 5 minutes - just take the plastic cover off the bolt, loosen the bolt, and slide the bottom end under the bolt and tighten it back up. You would probably want to bend the gooseneck into the shape you want it before tightening the bolt back down. I also bought an extra plastic cover for the seat bolt from Fitchner's Chevy and cut it to accomodate the mount.
There are several places to put the attenna and opinions vary widely as to which is the best. After testing several locations, I put mine in the middle of the dash, right up to the windshield, and ran the wire along the front and then down the side of the dash. Though visible, it is not in obtrusive and not in the line of sight of the driver. It also gave me the best reception.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:48 AM
MDog00
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sirius, because that where Howard Stern is going
Old 03-05-2005, 06:40 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

My antenna mounted on rear glass outside top edge with silicone for easy removal....receiver in ashtray...
Old 03-05-2005, 07:55 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

my antenna is mounted under the rear fascia, on top of the right tailight opening. it's mounted with double sided tape.

so far, the only place where I have lost reception is in my garage!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:46 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

I use a Delphi Myfi. I mounted the antenna behind the rear fascia above the left tailight with double sided tape. I use a flexible goose neck for the unit itself, found at http://www.arkon.com/satmount.html
Old 03-05-2005, 03:26 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are Pics of the Sirius Sportster mounted with Arkon Mount.

I have been very satisfied with it.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Prosecutor
Le Mans Master

I am stealing your idea Driverdan. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

DiverDan,
How did you run the wires? are they in the middle of the gooseneck shaft? I am also about to install this set-up. I have a pie adapter that plugs into the cd changer controls that I currently use with a portable MP3 player, so I have the head unit under control.

Also, how does the unit connect to the gooseneck? did it match up exactly? did you have to get the car kit for the sporster? How did you run your power?

Thanks

Last edited by Mr Snappy!; 03-05-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:04 PM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default XM not Sirius

As the thread toic says I do not have a Sirius radio but rather an XM SkyFi2. I have velcro'd the radio to the top of the "less than useful" cukp holder as shown in the photo. It is considerably more stable than it looks; actually very solid. I installed the antenna below the inner tail light on the metal inner rail. Drilled a small hole in the tail light cassing (sealed it with silicone) to run the cable to the radio. So far very pleased. I am installing a new shift boot next week and will run both power cable and antenna cable through that tunnel to make less obtrusive. For show, I remove the radio and dock and place a model of my car on the cup holder......works for me. C5 XTC
Old 03-05-2005, 05:42 PM
2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please buy these units.

I have 3,500 shares of this stock and need subscribers
Old 03-05-2005, 05:43 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
DiverDan,
How did you run the wires? are they in the middle of the gooseneck shaft? I am also about to install this set-up. I have a pie adapter that plugs into the cd changer controls that I currently use with a portable MP3 player, so I have the head unit under control.

Also, how does the unit connect to the gooseneck? did it match up exactly? did you have to get the car kit for the sporster? How did you run your power?

Thanks
These instructions should work for both Sirius and X/M systems. For the Sirius, it includes the car kit, which you have to have.

Mine is also run throught the PIE adapter. Basically, I ran the CD changer harness/wire from the fusebox to under the passenger seat and then up through a precut hole in the carpet. Obviously, you have to remove the passenger seat to do this, as well as the trim piece along the bottom of the doorway - both are extremely easy to do (how-tos are on this forum). I then connected the PIE adapter to the harness.
At this point I inserted an RCA splitter on each channel (right and left). It is optional but allows you to have two componants hooked up to your adapter, though only one thing works at a time. I have the Sirius sportster as well as another RCA to mini-headphone jack cable that I can plug my iPod into. This cable just lays behind the passenger seat until I want to use it.
I then run the other RCA to mini-headphone cable back under the carpet and up the side of the console tube. You have to take the two center console trim pieces to do this. It is also easy - just follow aftermarket shifter installation how-tos to do it. The cable comes out from under the carpet right where the Arkon mount will be situated.
The antenna wire is run along the front of the dash, then down the side of the dash and behind the kick panel trim and along the bottom of the fuse panel then up and along the bottom of the center stack console piece that you don't remove to the Arkon mount location.
I cut off the cigarette plug end of the power wire, put a small inline fuse on it, and then hardwired it to a switched power wire at the fuse panel in the passenger footwell. There is a how-to on accessing this power wire as well on this forum. From there it follows the antenna wire to the mounting location. Now I don't have to manually turn the Sirius on/off every time I turn the car on/off.
Ultimately, the wires just pop out from under the console right where the Sirius head unit is located. They are underneath it, so you can't really see them.

The Arkon mount is a univeral one. It fits several different units, both Sirius and XM. With the Sportster, you screw the top half of the car kit cradle to a detachable part of the mount. The bolt patterns line up perfectly. I assume it is the same for XM units as well.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:33 PM
slammedwhitec5vert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have xm and I mounted my antenna on the dash, it recieves well but next to big rigs and in heavy rain I sometimes lose the signal. Control unit mounted to the windshield header on passenger side.

Get notified of new replies

To Are you SIRIUS? (satellite radio)

Quick Reply: Are you SIRIUS? (satellite radio)