Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a Cadillac Allante compare to a C5 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 01:55 AM
6x6man
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does a Cadillac Allante compare to a C5 Corvette?

I currently own a '99 C5 vette (coupe) with the 6-speed manual trans. Overall I love the car but am considering selling because I have a bad back which is making it difficult for me to drive a manual shift car. My vette does have the Z51 sport suspension, which is not overly harsh, but if I sell the vette I'd probably opt for something that had a little softer ride.

So how does the Allante compare to the C5 vette?

What would I regrete selling the vette for an Allante?

What would I really appreciate in the Allante over the vette?

Will I be disapointed by the Allante? Should I just look at getting a C5 with an auto and base suspension?

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:03 AM
blackbelt
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no offense but there is no comparison. HERE is what you do delete this thread ask your self what was i thinking then if need be trade your vette in for an auto vette. But for heavens sake don't compare a C5 to a Allante
Old 02-16-2005, 02:07 AM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF is an Allante???
Old 02-16-2005, 02:10 AM
BBM98C5
Instructor

Yea, definately get an auto Vette and change to non-runflat tires. The ride will be MUCH less jolty. The runflats are like driving on solid rubber blocks.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:31 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by BBM98C5
Yea, definately get an auto Vette and change to non-runflat tires. The ride will be MUCH less jolty. The runflats are like driving on solid rubber blocks.
Just a guess but I'd assume if he's had an injury that makes him give up the clutch he probably doesn't want to be on the side of the road patching a tire either. If you get rid of the GY runflats for another brand you'll see a big difference.

Also get a standard or adjustable ride A4 and it should be fine. I have the F45 adjustable and I can smooth it out almost to normal passenger car ride or if I want to play I can switch it to a perf. ride. I've gotten now so I normally ride with it on perf. and love it.

Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:21 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

A front-drive Caddy that's been out of production for 12 years. Are you kidding?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:03 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Old 02-16-2005, 06:06 AM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Hmmmmmm Don't see any basis for the comparison so difficult to even comment. However, based on your bad back, it sounds like its more a question of finding a new vehicle thats going to be comfortable for you to drive. Forget trying to compare something else to the C5 and look around for a car that gives you the ride you want and takes the stress off your back. Good luck
Old 02-16-2005, 06:08 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

[Kelly Bundy] The neeeeeeeeeeeeeew Allante! [/Kelly Bundy]
Old 02-16-2005, 06:19 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Man, I hate to say this but these guys are right. There is NO comparison. Not only is it hard to find parts, it's underpowered, it rides like crap. (at least with the vette, a harsher ride is a trade-off, on the allante, it's just there... no benefit) It's ill-fitting and generally one of GM's poorer ideas.

It was handbuilt in Italy and have you priced a bumper cover? The last one we repaired was 2500 FOR A FREAKIN' BUMPER COVER... I'm not talking assy, I'm talking just the front cover.

I understand your need for a change but an allante is NOT the way to go.

Mark
Old 02-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree, not much comparison. If you want to get something other than the Vette, try the Caddy CTS. Much better than the old Allante.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:49 AM
love my car
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen
:l
Old 02-16-2005, 07:35 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 452 Posts

Default allante

While I know next to nothing about the xlr, I would think he should look at that, the Allante is a dog.
Steve
Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 AM
steeleaway
Racer

Originally Posted by 6x6man
I currently own a '99 C5 vette (coupe) with the 6-speed manual trans. Overall I love the car but am considering selling because I have a bad back which is making it difficult for me to drive a manual shift car. My vette does have the Z51 sport suspension, which is not overly harsh, but if I sell the vette I'd probably opt for something that had a little softer ride.

So how does the Allante compare to the C5 vette?

What would I regrete selling the vette for an Allante?

What would I really appreciate in the Allante over the vette?

Will I be disapointed by the Allante? Should I just look at getting a C5 with an auto and base suspension?

Thanks for your input.
I have both a 1993 Cadillac Allante and a 1998 Corvette convertible. Despite the bashing that the Allante does not deserve, it is truly a great, fun car to drive. It is not underpowered with the Northstar in it and delivers a very comfortable, smooth ride and somedays when I do not feel like getting beat up with the ride in the Vette, driving the Allante is pure pleasure. I will agree that parts are hard to find but being a part of the 3 Allante forums and knowing key people, you can usually get parts that are needed. I have owned the Allante for 3 years and mine also came with the hardtop and is been virtually trouble free(knock on wood)!!! I would not sell it for anything in the world. It was my first convertible and that car convinced me that when I got a Corvette 2 years ago that I wanted a convertible as well. Do what pleases you and I say until you own an Allante, don't knock it!!! Every car has their problems including the Corvette.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

The Allante was always a good car, underpowered??? hardly with the Northstar engine... Parts and service are astronomical.. a brake job can cost 2000 dollars, Paint can be iffy... the ride, fit, and finish were top notch, but the car is a mechanical nightmare, and if you think Corvettes have a corvette tax... be thankful you don't own an Allante.
break a tail light? 800 dollars.. and the junk yards know it, if you can find one.. The cost to maintain this car could put you in the poor house.. They did have some major issues.

1. Oil leaks. Make sure you look under the car and check there are no oil leaks. Best if the oil gasket has already been replaced oil as it's expensive to replace.

2. Check the Bose radio speakers for static (may run 50-300 a speaker) sound.

3. Check the soft top mechanism pull down motor. Don't assume it work (front and back side).

4. Coolant leaks. Watch out for rust inside the radiator.

5. ABS brake master cylinders: make sure to check this as it will cost you $1000-$3000 to replace.

6. On high mileage cars, check the steering shaft is OK. You might not pass the safety inspection as it might need replacing.

7. Check the information center lights to see any paint chips (you can only see at night when you turn your headlamp on). Some buttons go bad and you can see the back light through them.

8. Make sure you get a nice pair of tail lamps. These are very costly. $800 new.
General comments?
Very good solid engine with good torque.

A bit noisy and has a shaky ride.

No other convertible will have this much seating space, except very old cars.

Watch out when you buy it from auctions on the web. All the cars look nice in pictures. Make sure you send the inspector (worth an extra 100 or so) to inspect the car in and out, up and down), so you're sure it hasn't been in any accidents and and that it has no oil leaks etc. It's worthwhile. Best if you are present.

Don't trust the mileage. Look at the mileage with the condition of the interior and exterior, and check under the body for rust. Rust may indicate an odometer discrepancy.

The Pinafina design was a head turner 12 years ago, but today it gets little or no respect from most.. it is hardly in the league with a C5. IT was with a C4 back in the day.
I hope this helps..
Good luck
Bill ( E-T )

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 02-16-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:25 AM
steeleaway
Racer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
The Allante was always a good car, underpowered??? hardly with the Northstar engine... Parts and service are astronomical.. a brake job can cost 2000 dollars, Paint can be iffy... the ride, fit, and finish were top notch, but the car is a mechanical nightmare, and if you think Corvettes have a corvette tax... be thankful you don't own an Allante.
break a tail light? 800 dollars.. and the junk yards know it, if you can find one.. The cost to maintain this car could put you in the poor house.. They did have some major issues.

I agree that parts for the Allante are expensive as well as service. Try finding someone who knows how to work on the Allante.....not easy.

Cadillac Allante's were only built from 87 to 93 but 93 was the only year that had the Northstar in it. I have to say that a lot of Allante owners out there are probably just as meticulous about maintainence and appearance as most Corvette forum members, if not more just due to the nature of the beast being a car that is no longer produced.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by steeleaway
I agree that parts for the Allante are expensive as well as service. Try finding someone who knows how to work on the Allante.....not easy.

Cadillac Allante's were only built from 87 to 93 but 93 was the only year that had the Northstar in it. I have to say that a lot of Allante owners out there are probably just as meticulous about maintainence and appearance as most Corvette forum members, if not more just due to the nature of the beast being a car that is no longer produced.
My comments, though negative for the most were for the author of this thread who was considering this car, as I would think, a daily driver. Several people that I know who are my age,( old ), have bad backs, but ride their Harley on the weekend.. I also have a bad back,[L5/S1] Gave up harley's 15 years ago because of my back, just yesterday two of my friends came over on their Harleys trying to talk me into buying another. I have a bad back, but the Corvette doesn't bother me...

Get notified of new replies

To How does a Cadillac Allante compare to a C5 Corvette?

Old 02-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If I were you, I'd get an C5 with an automatic tranny without the Z51 suspension and swap out the runflats for non-runflats. You'll get a smoother ride and you'll still be able to drive the vette. If its just that you are uncomfortable in the vette, the CTS, as someone mentioned, is a good RWD sedan that will be easier to get into and out of.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:52 AM
sinorswim
Drifting

Originally Posted by steeleaway
I have both a 1993 Cadillac Allante and a 1998 Corvette convertible. Despite the bashing that the Allante does not deserve, it is truly a great, fun car to drive. It is not underpowered with the Northstar in it and delivers a very comfortable, smooth ride and somedays when I do not feel like getting beat up with the ride in the Vette, driving the Allante is pure pleasure. I will agree that parts are hard to find but being a part of the 3 Allante forums and knowing key people, you can usually get parts that are needed. I have owned the Allante for 3 years and mine also came with the hardtop and is been virtually trouble free(knock on wood)!!! I would not sell it for anything in the world. It was my first convertible and that car convinced me that when I got a Corvette 2 years ago that I wanted a convertible as well. Do what pleases you and I say until you own an Allante, don't knock it!!! Every car has their problems including the Corvette.
I had a 1993, I bought it because it came with a 7 year warranty. I enjoyed it. BTW-the build quality was alot better than these Chey's everybody loves!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Look at the XLR, they ride smoother than your Vette and they are still plenty fast, plus they do look sweet IMHO. Down side, they are a ton of money. Have you tried replacing the run-flats on your car with non run-flats, will improve ride.

Darion