Sponsored by:

Should GM pay for this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Brad-Vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Should GM pay for this?

In 2003 I took my 97 vette in to get an oil change. My service advisor told me that my axle was leaking and it was covered under my extended warranty, all $1600 of it, so i had it repaired.

Last month I noticed the leak is back. I called my dealer and he told me that i was out of warranty (expired 04/14/04) so it would cost me the $1600 to fix.

Today I learned that there are 5 TSB's on this leak including TSB 030420005 which is release of New rear seals to fix the problem. The funny thing is, these new seals came out a few months after i had the repair done.

So my question is, if GM realizes the problem by making NEW seals for the axle, then shouldnt they pay to have this fixed instead of me?

I'm going to call GM tomororw to do a little bitchin'

Brad

Last edited by Brad-Vette; 02-15-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:35 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with the resolution and fix.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

How long since the repair was done, how far out of warranty are you? If it has been too long for either you are probably out of luck. If it is close you may be able to work with GM or the dealer and get a reduced cost.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:38 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I hope it works out alright for you!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:06 AM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my current experiences they will try to find any way to have it not covered under warranty. I had transmission problems, went in and they blamed it on the fact that an aftermarket shifter had been installed, which I was unaware of. They fixed it at my expense (5k). Get it back and 1 week later it grinds shifting in first and second. It's back in the shop and they claim that there is a problem with the clutch. Will not even open up the transmission. Clutch replaced under warranty.
The first time it was in the shop, the service guy said that the clutch was in very good shape and had no excessive wear. The 2nd time I took it in, they said it had been run very hard and was in bad shape. How do you explain that?? It's a very frustrating experience, I hope you do not go through the same.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by c5vette
In 2003 I took my 97 vette in to get an oil change. My service advisor told me that my axle was leaking and it was covered under my extended warranty, all $1600 of it, so i had it repaired.

Last month I noticed the leak is back. I called my dealer and he told me that i was out of warranty (expired 04/14/04) so it would cost me the $1600 to fix.

Today I learned that there are 5 TSB's on this leak including TSB 030420005 which is release of New rear seals to fix the problem. The funny thing is, these new seals came out a few months after i had the repair done.

So my question is, if GM realizes the problem by making NEW seals for the axle, then shouldnt they pay to have this fixed instead of me?

I'm going to call GM tomororw to do a little bitchin'

Brad
I don't believe its a GM warranty issue. You had it repaired on a Service Contract which really isn't an extension of the warranty. The dealer warrants repairs for 12 mo or 12K miles. You are at least 4 years past the expiration of GM's warranty and close to a year past the dealer's warranty.

However, give it a try the worst thing they can do is say NO.

Bill
Old 02-16-2005, 02:34 AM
Prometro
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard of a job is it to replace the seal yourself? That sounds like a lot of money for something that seems like a pretty common problem.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:03 AM
Sponge Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't believe its a GM warranty issue. You had it repaired on a Service Contract which really isn't an extension of the warranty. The dealer warrants repairs for 12 mo or 12K miles. You are at least 4 years past the expiration of GM's warranty and close to a year past the dealer's warranty.

However, give it a try the worst thing they can do is say NO.

Bill

Good Luck
Old 02-16-2005, 04:32 AM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
From my current experiences they will try to find any way to have it not covered under warranty. I had transmission problems, went in and they blamed it on the fact that an aftermarket shifter had been installed, which I was unaware of. They fixed it at my expense (5k). Get it back and 1 week later it grinds shifting in first and second. It's back in the shop and they claim that there is a problem with the clutch. Will not even open up the transmission. Clutch replaced under warranty.
The first time it was in the shop, the service guy said that the clutch was in very good shape and had no excessive wear. The 2nd time I took it in, they said it had been run very hard and was in bad shape. How do you explain that?? It's a very frustrating experience, I hope you do not go through the same.
you avoid that by knowing the poeple that work on your car and the service manager and make sure it's the same guy that works on the car .. that way he's familiar with your ride.

but i've heard the aftermarket shifter thing before, if i were ever to experience problems and then bring it in for warranty work I'd remove my shifter.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:19 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,438 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Can't understand why it costs $1600 to replace the rear seal. I know GM did not spend that much on mine when they had to do the job three times to get it right. Since you are nearly a year past the expiration of your extended warranty, I really doubt that GM will cover the car. If you have very low mileage, you may want to contact the GM Customer Assistance on this. Complaining that this should not be happening on a low mileage car and the fact that there are some TSB's on the problem would be good arguing points. You never know what they will say. Mine all happened under the original factory warranty, but I got them to give me a five year, 60000 mile extension on the warranty for the rear differential.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Fastgenious
Racer

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Can't understand why it costs $1600 to replace the rear seal. I know GM did not spend that much on mine when they had to do the job three times to get it right. Since you are nearly a year past the expiration of your extended warranty, I really doubt that GM will cover the car. If you have very low mileage, you may want to contact the GM Customer Assistance on this. Complaining that this should not be happening on a low mileage car and the fact that there are some TSB's on the problem would be good arguing points. You never know what they will say. Mine all happened under the original factory warranty, but I got them to give me a five year, 60000 mile extension on the warranty for the rear differential.
I agree! It also depends on who you talk to at GM. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

A 97 is now nearing 8 years old. No way will they repair this for free unless you find some sort of loophole in the previous work guarantee. Like that lifetime repair thing they try to push on us. Review the paperwork for that type of stuff.......and good luck.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:09 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

If it was a month past warranty, and you'd just had it repaired...sure...

But not a year+ out of warranty. You're on your own this time...but I'd find someone to do it cheaper than $1600...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Kschwamy
Drifting

As this is a know problem with the C5 and was repaired once I would go back and take it up to the regional manager. It never hurts to ask. I agree that you should take it to someone else that you trust to get it fixed if they say no as I am sure that the 1600 is what the book says.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:41 AM
wpdjoey
Pro

Originally Posted by PaceThis
If it was a month past warranty, and you'd just had it repaired...sure...

But not a year+ out of warranty. You're on your own this time...but I'd find someone to do it cheaper than $1600...
but good luck with gm
Old 02-16-2005, 11:49 AM
white top
Racer

If this is the common left seal leak $1600 is BS. Find someone else to do the job. I have heard of some paying $450 to $600 for this job. My .02

Jerry
Old 02-17-2005, 12:11 AM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Neablas
you avoid that by knowing the poeple that work on your car and the service manager and make sure it's the same guy that works on the car .. that way he's familiar with your ride.

but i've heard the aftermarket shifter thing before, if i were ever to experience problems and then bring it in for warranty work I'd remove my shifter.
This was the same guy who worked on it last time, had a completely different story. I thought this was a reputable dealership when I took it in, but they've definitely made me think otherwise.

Get notified of new replies

To Should GM pay for this?

Quick Reply: Should GM pay for this?