Sponsored by:

Z06 conversion

Old 02-05-2005, 11:51 PM
MovinC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 conversion

Hey all,
I have a regular old 04 C5 now, and my buddies and I were sitting around tonight B.S.ing about Vettes when one said why don't you do the conversion to the Z06. I didn't even know this was possible. I mean I know you could probably do the ground effects and other such things like that, but engine wise what all is different and how much would something like that run me, even if this is possible.

Also I love the side skirts on the Z06 with the cold air duct's, even if that is the only thing I do what would go into that conversion alone. Doesn't seem like that would be all so much work.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:53 PM
sharpvet03
Melting Slicks

There are no side skirts on Z06's

Why would you want to be a Z06 when you could beat a Z06 if you were willing to spend some money on her
Old 02-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 123 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

It would be cheeper just to buy a Z06. And a Z06 has a fixed roof and not a hatch like the coupe.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:59 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by sharpvet03
There are no side skirts on Z06's

Why would you want to be a Z06 when you could beat a Z06 if you were willing to spend some money on her
I thought that too when I first read it. Hey MOVIN- you can get just the ducts .. or even ones that look like the ducts but don't work.
And what ever else Sharp said.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:09 AM
MovinC5
Advanced

Thanks all.

I can't believe the amount of responces I got already. Darn this site is jumping.

As for the side skirts my bad I thought the Duct's were a whole different part.

I really like the look the duct's on the sides. But would really want them to be functional. What is a good place to order such parts from.

Thanks again all

I'm going to be ordering a C6 soon to add to the fleet, so I think I will go with the Z06 in that instead. Really can't part with the C5 though, I just love the look of it, plus it doesn't even have 4000 miles on yet.

P.S. MyVetteDream great pic over there in the corner. I hope that isn't a real pic and photoshopped instead.

Last edited by MovinC5; 02-06-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Here are some things you would have to change, taken from an article on the 2001 Z06 when it first debuted. Then check the links at the bottom for the many enhancements for the 2002+ Z06's....

Aluminum Block
The aluminum block casting on the LS6 deletes machined holes in the LS1 bulkhead and adds cast-in "windows" that allow better bay-to-bay breathing. On the downstroke, the pistons push air back toward the crankcase, creating backpressure or resistance, and that translates into parasitic horsepower loss because it resists piston motion. With the overtravel windows, air is allowed to move more freely between crankcase bays, thus relieving the unwanted pressure.

Pistons
LS6 pistons are cast from high-strength M142 aluminum alloy and reshaped with a slightly different profile than those in the LS1. In side view, the LS6 pistons have a slight barrel shape, almost imperceptible to the naked eye. The new alloy increases engine durability at racetrack operating levels, while the shape reduces internal mechanical noise.

Increased Compression
The LS6's aluminum cylinder heads are cast with pent-roof combustion chambers that are smaller than the LS1's. Compression ratio increases from 10.1:1 to 10.5:1, improving thermal efficiency and increasing horsepower. Intake and exhaust ports in the LS6 head are refined and more precisely cast, contributing to the engine's overall increase in volumetric efficiency.

High-Profile Camshaft
The LS6-specific, steel-billet camshaft contributes more than any other single piece of hardware to the LS6's horsepower gain. In simple terms, the cam opens the valves quicker and allows more air to flow into the combustion chambers. Cam lift increases from the LS1's 12.7mm to 13.3mm.

Stronger Valve Springs
To accommodate valve operation with the high lift/long duration cam, the LS6's valve springs are stiffer and sturdier. They are made from the same steel wire as those in the LS1 but are wound tighter for a higher spring rate.

Fuel Injectors
Additional air flowing into the LS6 heads would serve no purpose without an equivalent increase in the amount of fuel to take advantage of it. New injectors increase maximum fuel delivery from the LS1's 3.3 grams per second to 3.6 grams per seconds, for a 10 percent improvement.

Internal PCV System
The LS6's application in the Corvette Z06 creates additional demands on the crankcase ventilation system. The Z06 is capable of cornering at more than 1 lateral g, requiring a special high-performance ventilation system. To prepare the Z06 for all-out driving, the LS6's PCV system is moved into the engine's V, or valley. The unique aluminum valley cover incorporates composite oil-separating baffles and PCV plumbing. All of this reduces oil consumption during high-performance driving and, as an added benefit, also reduces the amount of external plumbing, eliminating potential oil-leak sources.

Exhaust Manifolds
Thin-wall cast-iron exhaust manifolds replace the previous stainless steel manifolds to improve durability, given the LS6 engine's potential for being involved in sustained high-speed driving.

Exhaust System
To further maximize the breathing capabilities of the LS6 and significantly reduce vehicle mass, a new titanium exhaust system was developed for the Z06. This marks the first-ever use of titanium in the exhaust system of a mass-production vehicle. The titanium portion of the Z06's exhaust system starts just forward of the rear axle, then goes over the top of the axle to the muffler. The entire muffler, all of its internal parts and exterior skin, the outlet pipes, including the exhaust tips, are constructed of titanium. The Z06 muffler is a completely new design featuring larger-diameter louver tubes inside the mufflers to reduce backpressure and provide less restriction for the exhaust gases flowing through the system. The exhaust tips are different too, with four 3.5-in.-dia. tips to visually set the Z06 apart from the standard Corvette. Titanium offers a lower density than steel, and higher strength than either magnesium or aluminum at all temperatures. It reduces the Z06's weight by 17.6 pounds a whopping 50 percent reduction compared to the weight of the stainless steel exhaust system used on the Corvette coupe and convertible. In addition to easing exhaust gas restrictions, reducing mass and looking distinctive, this exhaust system sounds more aggressive than that of the standard Corvette. Considerable time and effort went into the design and tuning of the mufflers to ensure an exhaust note that would be unique to the Z06.

Powertrain Enhancements
In addition to providing more power and better fuel economy, Corvette engineers upgraded the operation and durability of the rest of the Corvette powertrain.

Stronger Driveshaft
The driveshaft is upgraded from a metalmatrix composite to aluminum alloy 6061, and it is increased in diameter from 55mm to 63mm. Driveshaft couplings have also been upgraded on manual-equipped models for additional strength and durability.

M12 6-Speed Manual
This transmission is unique to the Z06, and is the only transmission available for that model. It is not available on Corvette coupes or convertibles. It has more aggressive gearing to increase torque multiplication in most forward gears, allowing for more rapid acceleration and more usable torque at higher speeds. A transmission temperature sensor was added to protect the M12 from higher thermal stresses. The sensor warns the driver via the Driver Information Center with a TRANS OVER TEMP light if thermal loads become excessive, meaning that the transmission could be damaged if not allowed to cool down.

Gear Ratios
LS1/MM6 LS6/M12
1st Gear 2.66:1 2.97:1
2d Gear 1.78:1 2.07:1
3d Gear 1.30:1 1.43:1
4th Gear 1.00:1 1.00:1
5th Gear 0.74:1 0.84:1
6th Gear 0.50:1 0.56:1
Reverse 2.90:1 3.28:1

Synchronizers
Carbon blocker rings have been installed on all manual transmission forward gears to provide for smoother shifts and additional robustness.

FE4 Suspension
The Z06 features a suspension system all its own designated FE4. It's not available on other Corvette models but is standard equipment on the Z06. It features a larger front stabilizer bar, a stiffer rear leaf spring, revised camber settings and unique shock calibrations, all engineered with a bias toward maximum control during high-speed operation. The suspension component specifications are: Front stabilizer bar diameter (hollow): 30mm with 4.5mm-thick walls. Rear transverse composite spring leaf: 125 N/mm versus 113 N/mm of the Z51. Camber, front and rear: Z06: -0.75° (coupe/convertible: -0.25°). The Z06's negative camber helps to keep the tire flatter in relation to the road, and raises the tire contact patch for greater grip while cornering. When coupled with other special Z06 components, the combination provides unparalleled, all-out racetrack performance, which is what the Z06 is all about. During development testing, Corvette engineers were able to generate racetrack speeds that improved Z06 performance by an average of 3 to 4 seconds per lap over last year's hardtop model on typical 2-mile closed-circuit road courses. This we were able to test for ourselves at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, where we had the chance to drive a standard coupe and a Z06, back to back.

Wheels
Z06 wheels are wider front and rear than those on the standard Corvette: The new wheels are also one of the visual identifiers for the Z06, letting onlookers know that this car is something special. They are uniquely styled, and are the most mass-efficient aluminum wheels ever produced for Corvette. They are painted a light metallic gray, and show off the Z06's red brake calipers, especially when the car is in motion. Each wheel's center cap has a red Corvette crossed-flags emblem for added identification when the car is at rest.

Tires
Goodyear has specifically designed new wider, stickier tires for the Z06. Called Goodyear Eagle F1 SC (Supercar) tires, they allow the Z06 to handle, brake and perform better than any production Corvette, ever. Sizewise, the new tires differ from the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS EMT tires on coupes and convertibles as follows: While larger, these tires are much lighter than the EMT tires, reducing mass by a total of 23.4 pounds. The Eagle F1 SC tires have an asymmetric tread pattern to enable the fantastic cornering capabilities of the Z06. With the asymmetric pattern, the outside shoulder of the tire performs well in the dry, while the inside tread performs well in the wet. Taking mass out of the tires is extremely beneficial for wheel control because it reduces unsprung weight. It also reduces rotational mass, which improves acceleration and braking performance. Wheel control on the Z06 is also improved due to the more compliant sidewalls on these new, non-EMT tires. Because these tires do not have the "run flat" capabilities of the EMT tires, it was necessary to develop a process for dealing with tire punctures, since Corvettes do not come equipped with a spare tire. In the case of the Z06, a GM Tire Inflator Kit is included that is capable of sealing punctures up to 5mm in diameter. The kit consists of a squeeze bottle filled with a non-flammable latex compound in an aqueous base, a nozzle that attaches to the tire valve, and a mini air compressor with a 12-volt adapter that plugs into the car's accessory power outlet. The latex compound in the tire inflator kits is not compatible with the tire valves used in Corvette's standard tire pressure monitoring system, so regular tire valves are used and that option is not offered on the Z06. There is a mass reduction of just over a half-pound as a result.

The Z06 receives several other refinements in addition to its unique engine, suspension, wheels and tires that either help it to be more functional or serve to differentiate its appearance, sometimes both.

Having the best of both worlds reduced weight and increased power makes the Corvette Z06 a force to be reckoned with, on or off the track.

Air Management
Functional air inlets in the center of the front fascia deliver cool air to the intake system. New air scoops on the rear rocker panels funnel air to the rear brakes for better cooling. Z06 rear brake temperatures are reduced by as much as 10 percent under competition conditions. Brake fade and wear are greatly reduced.

Appearance
Z06 emblems are placed on the front fenders. Front and rear disc brake calipers on the Z06 are painted red. Inside, the Z06 includes a different instrument cluster with stylized graphics and a higher 6500 rpm redline.

The Z06's leather-trimmed seating surfaces include additional side bolstering to hold driver and passenger firmly in place during high lateral load maneuvers, and a Z06 logo is embroidered into the headrests.

You can read more about the differences in the following 2 links. The first link is from when the 2001 Z06 was introduced and the second shows the changes for the 2002 model year Z06. The 2003-2004 Z06's were the basically the same as the 2002 except for the shocks in the '04:

2001 Z06 info: http://www.z06vette.com/01.php

2002 thru 2004 Z06 info: http://www.z06vette.com/02.php

More info: http://www.gmhightechperformance.co...res/0410htp_zo/

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/z06/
The following users liked this post:
wtfskitzo (02-17-2021)
Old 02-06-2005, 12:11 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This site talks about some of the differences between the LS1 and LS6 engines and the Z06 through the years: 2001 - 2004 Z06 Corvette Center

You may find it cheaper to sell your car and buy a nice Z06. Another option that might provide you with more performance for around the same cost would be a nice head/cam package.

You may want to check out the C5 Tech section of the Forum. There has been quite a bit of discussion along these lines there in the past.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:25 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This site talks about some of the differences between the LS1 and LS6 engines and the Z06 through the years: 2001 - 2004 Z06 Corvette Center

You may find it cheaper to sell your car and buy a nice Z06. Another option that might provide you with more performance for around the same cost would be a nice head/cam package.

You may want to check out the C5 Tech section of the Forum. There has been quite a bit of discussion along these lines there in the past.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:02 AM
MovinC5
Advanced

Gees I had no idea that there was that much of a difference. I think I'll just get the C6 in the Z06, and add some other fun mods to the C5.

But I do really want to go with the side air ducts that the Z06 has. I would really like them to be functional if possible. If anyone has a site link for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just about everyone and their mama sells these kits.

Here's one from L.A.P.D.....a forum sponsor.

http://www.thelapd.com/Merchant2/mer...e_Code=thelapd
Old 02-06-2005, 08:20 AM
CarsRFun
Drifting

Originally Posted by MovinC5
Gees I had no idea that there was that much of a difference. I think I'll just get the C6 in the Z06, and add some other fun mods to the C5.

But I do really want to go with the side air ducts that the Z06 has. I would really like them to be functional if possible. If anyone has a site link for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Yuck thats so rice looking to me, a NON z06 with them
just my .02
Old 02-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,209 Likes on 13,925 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by StephenT
It would be cheeper just to buy a Z06. And a Z06 has a fixed roof and not a hatch like the coupe.

I agree. For what it would cost you to change all the stuff, you could mod your current car to be quicker.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:53 PM
D.K.
Pro

Thanks all.

I can't believe the amount of responces I got already. Darn this site is jumping.

As for the side skirts my bad I thought the Duct's were a whole different part.

I really like the look the duct's on the sides. But would really want them to be functional. What is a good place to order such parts from.

Thanks again all

I'm going to be ordering a C6 soon to add to the fleet, so I think I will go with the Z06 in that instead. Really can't part with the C5 though, I just love the look of it, plus it doesn't even have 4000 miles on yet.

P.S. MyVetteDream great pic over there in the corner. I hope that isn't a real pic and photoshopped instead.

Once you get the C6Z06, you will not be at all concerned about putting brake cooling ducts on your coupe.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:05 PM
MovinC5
Advanced

Originally Posted by D.K.
Once you get the C6Z06, you will not be at all concerned about putting brake cooling ducts on your coupe.

Yeah thats what I'm thinking. I can't wait to get one. As soon as I do, I will post pics of both my babies. But first I need to get out of the ice age and get a digital camera.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:30 PM
yellow viking
Pro

Since you have a 2004 LS1 all you would have to do is change the heads and cam. The block, exhaust and intake manifolds are LS6 on 2002 to 2004 motors. As for suspension you would have to upgrade sway bars, springs, and shocks. Tires, you would have to change to some non run flats. This would turn your car into a similar performer as a Z06, especially if you went with the AFR heads and a better aftermarket cam. And there is the MN6 vs. the MN12 if you want some better start ratios. If you do not plan on tracking your car, and like top off weather I would modify your car to your needs. If you really want to race start with the Z06.

Hey all,
I have a regular old 04 C5 now, and my buddies and I were sitting around tonight B.S.ing about Vettes when one said why don't you do the conversion to the Z06. I didn't even know this was possible. I mean I know you could probably do the ground effects and other such things like that, but engine wise what all is different and how much would something like that run me, even if this is possible.

Also I love the side skirts on the Z06 with the cold air duct's, even if that is the only thing I do what would go into that conversion alone. Doesn't seem like that would be all so much work.

Thanks in advance.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 conversion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 conversion