Sponsored by:

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:28 PM
vonreichenbach
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery

A little background: My car is stored outside in Germany under a cover. My battery keeps going dead requiring me to jump start the vehicle. Today I jump started it and ran it (actually drove it on the autobahn) for over an hour. I parked it and turned it off. Tried to start it about 10 minutes latter and got nothing but the dreaded clicking noise. I did get a warning on the display that said “low volts”. What are your thoughts? Is this a battery issue or is there something wrong in the charging system? My car is a 2000 convertible with 23,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like a dead cell in the battery. When a car is not driven consistently the weakness in the battery shows up very quickly.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:34 PM
purrvert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vonreichenbach
A little background: My car is stored outside in Germany under a cover. My battery keeps going dead requiring me to jump start the vehicle. Today I jump started it and ran it (actually drove it on the autobahn) for over an hour. I parked it and turned it off. Tried to start it about 10 minutes latter and got nothing but the dreaded clicking noise. I did get a warning on the display that said “low volts”. What are your thoughts? Is this a battery issue or is there something wrong in the charging system? My car is a 2000 convertible with 23,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.
I see your driving a Y2K, if it's the original battery, beware of the leaking terminal you'll find acid eating underneath your battery. What kind of charge rate do you show? If its above 13 volts then you probably need new battery.
Your sig caught my eye, lived in Bad Reichenhall for ten years.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:00 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Five years on a battery is not bad. You don't say how long it is stored for at a time; however, with the parasitic drain caused by the computers, about three to four weeks will drain a battery. Definitely check under the battery holder for acid, and it appears a new battery is required.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Dale98C5
Instructor

I think your in need of a new battery.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:44 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by vonreichenbach
A little background: My car is stored outside in Germany under a cover. My battery keeps going dead........Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.
get a new jell battery, and pick up a battery tender (little automatic charger) to maintain the batt when in storage.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Nassauvette
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

Don't mean to hijack your threat, but I had the same thing happen to me. I store my car in the winter, usually start it and go for a drive once per month. Well last week I went out to start it up, and nothing, completely dead. I had just bought an Optima Red Top last February, so I was a bit surprises. I jumped it, took it for a drive, came home, wouldn't start again, DIC msg. "LOW VOLTAGE". Pulled the battery and took it back to Pep Boys. The exchanged it for a new one (no hassle), dropped it in, started right up.

Now my question....today was nice in Chicago so I decided to go for a spin. When I started the car the voltage was at 14.4, then slowly dropped and after about 15 minutes was at 13.5 or so. Is this normal? The guy at Pep Boys told me I might need a new altenator. What should I expect the voltage to run at once the car is warmed up?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:45 PM
drumvette
Advanced

Default dead battery!!!!!!!!!

I just went through all this crap today.The same exact thing.I took the cover off and Clik click .Ugh!! So i jumped it.drove around the corner to put some air in the tires and like an idiot i shut the car down to get change and When I came out to start it, CLICK CLICK!!!

Now i had to call my girlfriend to come give me a jump .Anyway it's back in my driveway and i guess it's new battery time.
30,000 mi on a "01" coupe.

So i feel the frustration.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:01 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Nassauvette
Don't mean to hijack your threat, but I had the same thing happen to me. I store my car in the winter, usually start it and go for a drive once per month. Well last week I went out to start it up, and nothing, completely dead. I had just bought an Optima Red Top last February, so I was a bit surprises. I jumped it, took it for a drive, came home, wouldn't start again, DIC msg. "LOW VOLTAGE". Pulled the battery and took it back to Pep Boys. The exchanged it for a new one (no hassle), dropped it in, started right up.

Now my question....today was nice in Chicago so I decided to go for a spin. When I started the car the voltage was at 14.4, then slowly dropped and after about 15 minutes was at 13.5 or so. Is this normal? The guy at Pep Boys told me I might need a new altenator. What should I expect the voltage to run at once the car is warmed up?

Red tops can go bad too; lets face it, anything man made can be defective. Just be happy that if it does go bad, the chance of leakage is minimal.
As for the generator, that is normal and the guy at PEP boys is where he belongs; working at PEP boys.
When you first start up, the generator charges the battery and runs the vehicle and accessories. When the battery gets to normal levels, the generator is backed down by the regulator, which is controlled by the PCM, and it levels off at around 13.5 to run the engine's electrical system and all accessories.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Nassauvette
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
Red tops can go bad too; lets face it, anything man made can be defective. Just be happy that if it does go bad, the chance of leakage is minimal.
As for the generator, that is normal and the guy at PEP boys is where he belongs; working at PEP boys.
When you first start up, the generator charges the battery and runs the vehicle and accessories. When the battery gets to normal levels, the generator is backed down by the regulator, which is controlled by the PCM, and it levels off at around 13.5 to run the engine's electrical system and all accessories.
Thanks WhiteC5Vette, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. I knew better than to listen to the guy behind the Pep Boys counter. Figured I just pose the question to the forum and get the a clear understanding as to what goes on with the charging system. Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2005, 05:02 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sound like time and cold weather has done the dirty to your battery. You need a battery tender to keep the cold away.

Do you live in Stuttgart or one of the nearby bergs. My family and I spent 3 tears in Nellingen before I returned to the US of A in March of 79 and retired at Fort Gordon on 20 June. Stuttgart is a great area to live and work. Just a short jaubt to the ski slopes and the Autobahn is very, very convienent.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:08 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I agree with the others. I've heard here that the Optima batteries are a little difficult to obtain in Europe. That being said, try to get a sealed battery (although an Optima Red Top model 75/35 would be my first choice) and check very carefully to see if the O.E.M. battery has leaked.

Once you've determined all is okay (I hope!), install the new battery and consider a Battery Tender that will keep the battery fully charged. The Battery Tender is not a trickle charger, it's a "smart charger" that only charges when the voltages start to drop.

Good luck - and I hope it all works out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery

Quick Reply: Dead Battery