Sponsored by:

Bad MAF or do i need a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 03:36 PM
DarkForce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad MAF or do i need a Tune?

I recently added the Corsa Tiger Shark front facia and a RKSport Ram Air hood. When I got it back form the body shop, within 50 miles of driving, I noticed what I thought was a clogged fuel filter, but my car only has 4k miles. Then the engine light came on and it kicked back a PO101 (MAF) error. I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to reset, then drove some more. PO101 went away, but now Im getting PO171 and PO174 Bank 1 and 2 Lean errors. I am not an expert in any way with cars, but from rreading other threads, I guess I am in need of another tuning. Currently I run a LS1 Edit Tuning from LGMotorsprts. I don't want to have to spend the time and money if I dont have to. Question to all you experts out there are:

1. Would these parts cause that much difference in airflow? By the way I am running with a Donaldson Blackwing airfilter assembly, but stock MAF with Screen removed. Never had a problem before the body mods. MAF was cleaned when the problem first happened (no dice)

2. Could the RAm air being causing turbulance? I havnt tried to ducktape off the inner nostrils to see if that makes a difference. I basically bought the hood for looks, not performance.

3. If the MAF is bad, how do I know?

4. Is re-tuning the answer?

Thanks all for your input. I am a new corvette owner and new to Corvette Forum. It is great to be here.

Bryan
Old 02-02-2005, 04:00 PM
DarkForce
Instructor

Default Why is my question being skipped over

Seems like my question might not be important to anyone other than me. I came to this site to look for help. Am I floowing the wrong process??? Could someone help? Thank you very much (again)
Old 02-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

My recommendation would be to go back and check EVERY fitting and joint between the throttle body and the MAF. Sounds like you may have an air leak leting air bypass the MAF. I would also take a look at the wiring harness going to the MAF and make sure that it is plugged in properly. Disconnect it and inspect the pins.

There is also a well known issue with the engine wiring harness. The harness can get chaffed and cause some of the same symptoms you are seeing. Look on the drivers side of the engine and find the rear fuel rail bracket. The engine wiring harness follows around that bracket and the bracket is sharp. The harness could be shorting out on to that bracket. Some C5 had issues with tight harness clearance in that area.

Pease let me know what you find.

BC

Bill C
Old 02-02-2005, 04:19 PM
DarkForce
Instructor

Wow, see now that is great information. I will check that stuff out and let you know. I appreciate it. I thought I was not doing something correct and people were unable to reply. Thanks again Bill -B
Old 02-02-2005, 04:22 PM
BlueDragon
Drifting

Mmmm I agree check everything over. If id did not have the codes before the bodywork, than I would strongly suspect that it was something they did. loose connector, air leak, could be the MAF, but I would not make that leap until everything else has been checked.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:25 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

2004TorchredC5,

A lot of us may read your thread but not have the answer (like myself) - so rather than just replying for replying sake, we wait until wiser heads like Bill C & BlueDragon pipes up and gives you a proper answer.

This Forum is a goldmine of information and deep knowledge.

EG
Old 02-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Welllllllll,,, I cant say that I am any smarter than anybody else but I like to grab the shop manual and play. It gets me ready to do battle with mine if the time comes.

I had a LOT of issues with my 98 Coupe and not wanting to hand my hard earned money over to dealers who easter egg and break other things, I just dug into the shop manual, asked lots of questions on the forum, was fortunate enough to be able to visit the C5 Tech Support Desk at Bowling Green KY and was presistant!

I combatted and sloved numerous water issues, ground issues, Battery failures and wiring harness issues. I learned how to figure out how the service manuals works and I was an electronics tech in the Navy.

Any other knowledge is gained by reading thosands of forum post

Thanks for the good words England! You guys always know where to reach me if you need me!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:23 PM
jrh009
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004TorchedC5
Seems like my question might not be important to anyone other than me. I came to this site to look for help. Am I floowing the wrong process??? Could someone help? Thank you very much (again)

Give the members a chance to respond when posting a question, most of us work for a living and are not on line every minute of the day. Some posts may take a few days before the majority of forum members get a chance to review them.

For instance while I can't help with your problem, I haven't signed on the forum for three days. This forum is a fantastic resource with alot of very knowledgable, friendly contributors.

Relax, if the members here can help they will.

Jim
Old 02-02-2005, 10:39 PM
DarkForce
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrh009
Give the members a chance to respond when posting a question, most of us work for a living and are not on line every minute of the day. Some posts may take a few days before the majority of forum members get a chance to review them.

For instance while I can't help with your problem, I haven't signed on the forum for three days. This forum is a fantastic resource with alot of very knowledgable, friendly contributors.

Relax, if the members here can help they will.

Jim
I do understand everyone. No offense was intended. Actually, my dumb butt actually thought I typed in my thread wrong until I replied to my own and actually realized it was working. So please accept my deepest appoligize and thank you.

Bryan
Old 02-02-2005, 10:41 PM
DarkForce
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueDragon
Mmmm I agree check everything over. If id did not have the codes before the bodywork, than I would strongly suspect that it was something they did. loose connector, air leak, could be the MAF, but I would not make that leap until everything else has been checked.
Yea, took apart eveything, cleaned the MAF carfully and reset all in place. Ran what I thought was good for about 5 minutes, then boom, it was back. SO, unfortunately, I dont know anyone well enough with a MAF that I could borrow to test, but I am goign to check into a short on the cable farther up the chain.

Bryan
Old 02-03-2005, 12:39 PM
hltambur
Instructor

My cold air induction system came loose once, and my car ran like crap, and threw codes p0101, p0102, and p0103, all related to the MAF. Once I reconnected the CAI, the car ran great again, but was still throwing codes. I unhooked the CAI and sprayed some brake cleaner into the MAF, connected everything back up, and the codes could be cleared without coming back.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:03 PM
BlueDragon
Drifting

OK, I just went to the bible.
Conditions for Setting the DIC:
The PCM detects the average long term fuel trim cell values are above a predetermined threshold.

Both banks are showing Fuel Trim System Lean. This is in the closed loop PCM fuel control The PCM monitors the HO2S signal voltqages and adjusts the fuel delivery based on signal voltage. Topic 5.0 reads:
A vacuum leak will cause DTCs P0171 and P0174 to set at the same time. Inspect all areas of the engine for a vacuum leak. Also inspect PVC valve for being the correct one (I am sure it is if it has never been changed) Make sure the engine oil fill cap is in place and that it is tight. Check oil dipstick is fully seated.

Step 5 Visually inspect the following items:
Vacuum hoses for splits kinks and proper connections.
Crankcase Ventilation valve and system for leaks.
Contaminated fuel
PCM and sensor grounds are clean and tight and in proper locations.
Air induction system AFTER MAF sensor for vacuum leaks
Engine mechanical failure (which I doubt to be the case.

Step 6 Visually inspect the following items:
Exhaust leaks missing or loose exhaust hardware.
HO2S installed securely and elecctrical connectors not contacting the exhaust system or ignition wires

If it is none of these you will need to put it on a scanner or diagnostic tool.

Inspect the PCM|TAC module connector surfaces. Inspect PCM|TAC module gaskets to prevent water into the module.

Are there any more or new codes?

Forgive the typos fingers are not in sync today

Last edited by BlueDragon; 02-03-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:10 PM
wpdjoey
Pro

The PCM detects the average long term fuel trim cell values are above a predetermined threshold.

Both banks are showing Fuel Trim System Lean. This is in the closed loop PCM fuel control The PCM monitors the HO2S signal voltqages and adjusts the fuel delivery based on signal voltage. Topic 5.0 reads:
A vacuum leak will cause DTCs P0171 and P0174 to set at the same time. Inspect all areas of the engine for a vacuum leak. Also inspect PVC valve for being the correct one (I am sure it is if it has never been changed) Make sure the engine oil fill cap is in place and that it is tight. Check oil dipstick is fully seated.

Contaminated fuel

HO2S installed securely and elecctrical connectors not contacting the exhaust system or ignition wires

Inspect the PCM|TAC module connector surfaces. Inspect PCM|TAC module gaskets to prevent water into the module.

WOW i love this place
Old 02-03-2005, 09:12 PM
DarkForce
Instructor

Contaminated fuel

Actually, yea but I cant remember what it was since I reset it again. I looked it up though. It was left actuator open (HVAC Code)
Old 02-04-2005, 02:04 PM
BlueDragon
Drifting

If it comes back let me know. It is important to log all codes because there is some overlap and the manual lists other possiable codes that can be thrown with a specific malfunction. Unfortunately the section 6-7 is something like 1500+pages and only lists the index by the actual code. If you get any other codes let me know.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad MAF or do i need a Tune?

Quick Reply: Bad MAF or do i need a Tune?