C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What problems could I run into doing this???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:38 PM
TANGLVR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What problems could I run into doing this???

I posted in tech but haven't seen any help there. I know this part of the forum is one of the most technically capable and informative and thought I'd try here. Hope it doesn't **** off the mods.

Here's my question:
I have Fikse FM/10's 18 x 9.5 front and 19 x 10.5 rear. I posted to trade the rear 19's for someone's 18's provided they were 10.5 wide at least. No one was interested. I then posted the whole set for sale and I guess being just after the holidays money is tight and I had a very hard time getting someone to give me $2k for them including wheels and tires and an extra set of 19 inch tires brand new. After thinking about it I don't really want to take that kind of a hit on a $4500 wheel and tire package. I paid around $3k and that's still too big of a hit for me and I love the rims.

I was wondering what problems you could forsee if I ran the 18's on the back and the 19's on the front. The reason being is that I have 512 rwhp and 497 rwtq, of which I have 450 at the wheels at 2200 rpms and I just can't get traction on street tires. I want to switch to a drag radial like the Nitto or BFG but they only come as large as 18 inch.

Am I asking for trouble? What can happen?

Thanks for your input.
MM
Old 01-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavenIsABlownC5
I posted in tech but haven't seen any help there. I know this part of the forum is one of the most technically capable and informative and thought I'd try here. Hope it doesn't **** off the mods.

Here's my question:
I have Fikse FM/10's 18 x 9.5 front and 19 x 10.5 rear. I posted to trade the rear 19's for someone's 18's provided they were 10.5 wide at least. No one was interested. I then posted the whole set for sale and I guess being just after the holidays money is tight and I had a very hard time getting someone to give me $2k for them including wheels and tires and an extra set of 19 inch tires brand new. After thinking about it I don't really want to take that kind of a hit on a $4500 wheel and tire package. I paid around $3k and that's still too big of a hit for me and I love the rims.

I was wondering what problems you could forsee if I ran the 18's on the back and the 19's on the front. The reason being is that I have 512 rwhp and 497 rwtq, of which I have 450 at the wheels at 2200 rpms and I just can't get traction on street tires. I want to switch to a drag radial like the Nitto or BFG but they only come as large as 18 inch.

Am I asking for trouble? What can happen?

Thanks for your input.
MM
You could just buy a set of 18X11-18X12 and run some 335/30 size tires. You would have more surface contact area on the pavement than a 295 series. The reality is once you get above 500/500 hp/tq traction becomes purely right foot related. Running a smaller size wheel in the back doesn't look good either. I have seen 18's up front and 17's in the rear and it was great setup for tire choices..but I wouldn't want to see it on my car. Running 19's in the front and 18's in the rear would give the same appearance. BFG makes a 19 KDW summer max performance tire.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:14 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

You may run into abs issues running a 19 front and 18 rear. I would say get a wider, taller 18" for the rear. I would try to sell the entire set again. Tax season is almost hear.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:52 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

as long as you keep the same rolling radious then in theory it will work! but i wouldn't do it. better off going for the same dia. wheals front and back. having saod that a lot of manufactures run larger rear wheals than fronts.

thanks Chris.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, other than it looking a bit funny, you will have to get a taller tire in the back. The C5 traction control system depends on your overall front diameter being less than your overall rear diameter. I don't know specifically what, but I have heard that really weird things will happen if the front is within one inch of the back.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:16 AM
TANGLVR
Drifting

Originally Posted by diynoob
Well, other than it looking a bit funny, you will have to get a taller tire in the back. The C5 traction control system depends on your overall front diameter being less than your overall rear diameter. I don't know specifically what, but I have heard that really weird things will happen if the front is within one inch of the back.
diynoob....I thought those issues were had with Active Handling which I don't have. I shut traction control off all the time because it's no help to me so wouldn't I be OK.

And thanks to all you very very much for the information. While I do know it might look funny I thought that I'd try it...I would think only one inch would not be that noticeable but I'll see....at least until I cen get a reasonable amount for them. I'm thinking tax refund time next month or March. My main concern though was handling characteristics, and and emminent danger doing this and it doesn't seem like it from what everyone has said.

Please keep the advice coming.
THX!
MM
Old 01-14-2005, 10:45 AM
jak112460
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you don't vary too much from stock height tires, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:43 AM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

You should be able to contact Fikse....you can Probably send them your 19" wheels and have them made into 18's. My Brother is in the process of doing this with his HRE's.
You can then run 18's all around and use drag radials. you compromise a little look, but what good is a 500+ RWHP car if you can't use it? Chekc my Sig...get an idea of wht it looks like with 18's all around.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

diynoob....I thought those issues were had with Active Handling which I don't have. I shut traction control off all the time because it's no help to me so wouldn't I be OK.
Well, I thought TC looked at front wheel speed vs. rear wheel speed to understand when the wheels are slipping. So I would just validate that it does or does not before moving forward with your thought of swapping the tires around. A shorter tire in the back will make it 'appear' that the wheel is slipping since it will be moving faster than the front.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:28 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

I am Sure there would be a Willing soul out there to Trade his 18's for your 19's? Usually this would be considered an upgrade, so you could do each other the favor!
Old 01-14-2005, 01:33 PM
TANGLVR
Drifting

Originally Posted by diynoob
Well, I thought TC looked at front wheel speed vs. rear wheel speed to understand when the wheels are slipping. So I would just validate that it does or does not before moving forward with your thought of swapping the tires around. A shorter tire in the back will make it 'appear' that the wheel is slipping since it will be moving faster than the front.
I will definitely double check.

3x...I seriously tried...all I wanted was the person to pay shipping both ways to get the upgrade but after a month no one bit. If you know anyone...please let me know. THX!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:18 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

3x...I seriously tried...all I wanted was the person to pay shipping both ways to get the upgrade but after a month no one bit. If you know anyone...please let me know. THX!
Did you try the Z06 Forum too? If not, I will put a post there for you. give me all the info on the wheels, Model, Tires, sizes and miles....I will link it to this thread...you should get a bite.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:45 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

Did you try the Z06 Forum too? If not, I will put a post there for you. give me all the info on the wheels, Model, Tires, sizes and miles....I will link it to this thread...you should get a bite.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:55 PM
TANGLVR
Drifting

I don't think I tried the For Trade post on Z06 forum but I did put the For Sale post there and here too.

They are FM/10's in Technipolish finish....19 inches tall and 10.5 wide. Light curb scratches on right side...like a couple inches long but otherwise both in beautiful shape. No sensors.

I appreciate you looking out for me and trying to generate interest.

THX!
MM

Get notified of new replies

To What problems could I run into doing this???

Quick Reply: What problems could I run into doing this???