C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is Making Big HP With Stock Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 03:08 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Who is Making Big HP With Stock Fuel pump?

I am am just Curious...I have the Stock pump, and am working on an upgrade, but Just interested to see who is doing what with a stock pump.
I currently have the stock pump, 42lb injectors and no boost a pump. With a Vortech intercooled set up. On the dyno the car is running 550-560 RWHP, only because it get REALLY lean on top. My HP Is shooting straight up still, but I don't want to cook the motor, and I know I'm pushing it now. How much does a boost a pump really help? The first thing I need to do is get the bigger injectors...my 42's are 100% at all times!
Lets get some input!!
Old 12-11-2004, 04:06 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boost a pump can help a bunch. 30-40% increase in flow.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:47 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

I am looking at the MSD unit, because it is Boost adjustable, But I am not sure....Does my '02 Z06 have a return Line Set up or not? This unit requires that you have a fuel return line.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:53 AM
loudsam
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel return line

Originally Posted by 3XBlack6spd
I am looking at the MSD unit, because it is Boost adjustable, But I am not sure....Does my '02 Z06 have a return Line Set up or not? This unit requires that you have a fuel return line.
I'm pretty sure that I've read that fuel injected cars have a return fuel line. Maybe that's not what your talking about. I know when I started getting interested in engines again, after about 30 years since. I was surprised to find that there's a return fuel line to the tank on fuel injection! Not so, with a carb car.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:20 AM
402Sam
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loudsam
I'm pretty sure that I've read that fuel injected cars have a return fuel line. Maybe that's not what your talking about. I know when I started getting interested in engines again, after about 30 years since. I was surprised to find that there's a return fuel line to the tank on fuel injection! Not so, with a carb car.

Not all vettes have a return line on the fuel system. I think that they only did that on 97-98 fuel systems. I think after 99 the didnt put a return line on them.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:13 AM
SR71
Burning Brakes

there are no high hp cars with stock pumps responding because they are all busy installing new pistons. don't mess with a bap. go ahead and get the ractronix kit. the install isn't very difficult and you will be ahead of the game.

also a lean af ratio makes more power. if you are leaning out, you will be making more power. but you will be busy changing pistons too if you don't get more fuel and that af in check.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Allgonoshow
Racer

I kinda noticed that quite a few folks are switching over to the 97-98 fuel rail setup. Somethin u might want to look into. That and an aftermarket pump setup would probably be the best way to do it. I also don't know where you stand finacially though. I am not an FI guy, this is just what I noticed. I hope that others will chime in on my comments now as to help inform you with their experiances.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:40 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3XBlack6spd
Yes, it has a return line. It just happens to be in the back right near the fuel sender instead of on the rail (the regulator is integrated into the fuel filter on 99-'02 cars). Just think of the ’02 fuel rail as being about 10 ft long with the regulator and return near the driver’s side rear wheel. .

A BAP will work on any fuel injected car. They all have a return line of some sort. Even the '03-04 cars have one, it just happens to be in the tank.

97/98 has the regulator and return up front directly on the rail. This helps keep the pressure more consistent on the rail, since you don't have all the delays associated with having it 10ft back.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:51 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

Originally Posted by SR71
there are no high hp cars with stock pumps responding because they are all busy installing new pistons. don't mess with a bap. go ahead and get the ractronix kit. the install isn't very difficult and you will be ahead of the game.

also a lean af ratio makes more power. if you are leaning out, you will be making more power. but you will be busy changing pistons too if you don't get more fuel and that af in check.
Lean is good right??????????? That's why I ask......I hear the97-98 return set up is a waste of money???? Is racetronix the answer????? With ALKY injection
Old 12-12-2004, 12:57 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

Originally Posted by QuickSilver2002
Yes, it has a return line. It just happens to be in the back right near the fuel sender instead of on the rail (the regulator is integrated into the fuel filter on 99-'02 cars). Just think of the ’02 fuel rail as being about 10 ft long with the regulator and return near the driver’s side rear wheel. .

A BAP will work on any fuel injected car. They all have a return line of some sort. Even the '03-04 cars have one, it just happens to be in the tank.

97/98 has the regulator and return up front directly on the rail. This helps keep the pressure more consistent on the rail, since you don't have all the delays associated with having it 10ft back.
Thanks for all your input on this....so the MSD unit will work??
So far I am leaning....
Racetronix
MSD boost a pump
50# injectors
Alky injection

Sound good for about 650RWHP?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:16 PM
SR71
Burning Brakes

I have a ractronix plug and play pump and harness system on my 2000 with 60lb mototrons and it supported my s/c 660 rwhp just fine.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:39 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

I have a ractronix plug and play pump and harness system on my 2000 with 60lb mototrons and it supported my s/c 660 rwhp just fine.
Sounds like the least expensive fix.....That's what I'm Leaning toward
Old 12-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

So, is that to say that your set up is rock solid, repeatable, and you would be willing to stand behind your words when it comes to "just fine"? Or is it just fine for your your car? Whats your fuel pressure when you lift at 660rwhp? Got a graph you can post to share with everybody?

Bill
Old 12-12-2004, 11:10 PM
JOHNNY P.
Drifting

Location: IF YOUR BIG DOLLAR PROJECT DOESN'T RUN 9'S OR BETTER ....BURN IT ! SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GRAB A LANE ! CHICAGO IL. -------- HOME OF THE FASTEST STREETCARS BARNONE !

Old 12-13-2004, 12:07 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

waiting to hear from the big HP guys who are running a stock pump as well... Fact is... there arent any...

VR
Old 12-13-2004, 12:44 AM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

You know if you read around here you learn through other people. One thing I learned is you don't want to get too cheap when it comes to getting fuel to your engine. Take that for what its worth.I just hope no one ever has a BAP go out on them. I don't think I have ever heard of one going bad yet. Good Luck
Old 12-13-2004, 01:27 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Good choice on upgrading the stock pump, I found it's limitations over 3 years ago.
JB

Get notified of new replies

To Who is Making Big HP With Stock Fuel pump?

Old 12-13-2004, 01:32 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

I figure the best way to get the most and best information is to put it out there, and get some response from you guys that have been there done that. SO thanks so far, and as far as that A/F graph from the guy with the plug and Play Racetronix, I'd love to see it as well. I figure after a new fuel set up, G1 blower cam And ALky Injection, I should be just about where you are as far as HP. So I would be interested in seeing it.
Thanks Guys,
Sam.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:40 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

It would be very easy to add a 2nd Walbro GSL392 pump in-line and run the BAP to it instead of the in-tank.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:47 PM
JOHNNY P.
Drifting

Location: IF YOUR BIG DOLLAR PROJECT DOESN'T RUN 9'S OR BETTER ....BURN IT ! SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GRAB A LANE ! CHICAGO IL. -------- HOME OF THE FASTEST STREETCARS BARNONE !

Originally Posted by vetterdstr
waiting to hear from the big HP guys who are running a stock pump as well... Fact is... there arent any...

VR

Originally Posted by Z06GMAN
You know if you read around here you learn through other people. One thing I learned is you don't want to get too cheap when it comes to getting fuel to your engine. Take that for what its worth.

Good Pointers from Bill Reid always help too.

Quick Reply: Who is Making Big HP With Stock Fuel pump?